Light-O-Rama Forums

Connection of dangles to Pixie 16

Mica

2 hours ago, Jimehc said:

there is a white "test button" on the pixie board - give it a quick push - do you get chasing color ?

OMG! YES! Finally! This thing should have come with a Manual!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mica

• TheDucks

• Orville

• k6ccc

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Mica said:

Well the test button worked. Now I just have to get them to work in the control panel. 

I did mention that button back in one of my first replies. And it is mentioned on Page 36 (P35 describes the RESET mode)

Control Panel?  Hardware Utility? (HU section does not appear to have changed visually from S4) and looks like what is in the book.

Click the Pixel console button. SET THE ID OF PORT to test.  Port 1 is the ID you set in HU, Ports also count in Hex.

If your base (board setting) is 20, then port 16 is 2F, Port 10 is 2A.

BTW The console can only control the first 50 nodes on a port

1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

In addition to the previous. Make sure your Pixie is setup (in HU) to look like P16  (advanced button used because I have color ORDER issues with normal). The 100 can say 50 IF the longest string is 50 (Self test uses this number, so if it says 50, only the first 50 on a port get tested. The inverse is also true. If it says 100, the self test sends 100 changes before the next pattern starts)

Testing worked in the HU. It didn't work in the Test Lights area? Is this normal? 

4 hours ago, Mica said:

I have the controller installed on the control panel and I have 1 blue light on every  string. Where can I  go to see how to get the strings  to fully light? I have watched several YouTube videos and either they are using older software or don't show step by step how to setup Pixel lights. I am trying to create RGB Leaping Arches. But I  need to know how to connect these lights first.

I seem to recall you can not test lights in the HU with the Pixie16 controller.

As to my recollection you have to set up a test sequence to test an entire string, you can do (I think, if memory serves) a single bulb test chase in the HU, that lights each node one at a time, RGB order and White if checked, but I believe the steady on, fade up/down and twinkle are all greyed out (not available). 

So to light the entire strand, every node being lit, will require a test sequence you need to create. 

Otherwise, what you're getting from the HU is all you'll get.

Pressing the white button to get into test mode, (been a while since I used that option), but I think it might have a test that would light the entire strand at once.  Like stated, I haven't used that test in a while, so can't say 100% that the entire strand will light up in test mode.

Best bet is to create a sequence to test your RGB strings for correct color and controller settings.

Good luck!

Edited by Orville

"test Lights" in the S6 control Panel require you set channel count and set the Unit ID to test..

Or you can select a Preview - with the Props Pre-Defined with the Unit ID's

Although, you already stated HU and test button work, so the lights work.........

Your issue is with the configuration settings and/or Unit ID assignments

Edited by Jimehc

20 minutes ago, Jimehc said:

"test Lights" in the S6 control Panel require you set channel count and set the Unit ID to test..

Or you can select a Preview - with the Props Pre-Defined with the Unit ID's

Although, you already stated HU and test button work, so the lights work.........

Your issue is with the configuration settings and/or Unit ID assignments

That's some major revisions from the current version I'm using.  Unfortunately viewing and reading the forum on a cell phone doesn't display the user info to the left of the message area like it does on my desktop computer. 

I'm still using S4.4.16 PRO and I just tried it a bit ago, nope, couldn't test full string by lighting up all nodes, when I go to test lights, everything is greyed out in my version, surprised it's not setup the same way in S6.   

When I get my new laptop, I'll have to upgrade my license and see if S6 will be easier to transition to, S5 I got a little time in with it, but could never get my lights to work, no matter what I tried or  did.  Sure hope S6 is a huge improvement over how S5 worked. 

My current license only covers up to S5.6 I think.  Just hate to upgrade and then find out I'll never use it.  Hard decision to make.

23 minutes ago, Orville said:

That's some major revisions from the current version I'm using. 

Yes Orville, moving from S4 to S5 and also to S6 is a major change on how things get done.  In the end, it's better, but a substantial transition learning curve.  Hence the reason it is recommended to start that move right after your show is done for one year.  That gives 9 or 10 months to learn the differences.

3 hours ago, Mica said:

Testing worked in the HU. It didn't work in the Test Lights area? Is this normal? 

Ah, While HU looks a bit like the S4 version, There are differences. Use the Pixel Console (Says RGB Pixel Console at the top)

Be sure to set CCB/CCP/Pixie in the left 'D', and spin the Unit ID wheels to the proper port

1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

Ah, While HU looks a bit like the S4 version, There are differences. Use the Pixel Console (Says RGB Pixel Console at the top)

Be sure to set CCB/CCP/Pixie in the left 'D', and spin the Unit ID wheels to the proper port

Don't have any wheels in my Pixie16DV4, just mini dip switches. ;)

Edited by Orville

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

Yes Orville, moving from S4 to S5 and also to S6 is a major change on how things get done.  In the end, it's better, but a substantial transition learning curve.  Hence the reason it is recommended to start that move right after your show is done for one year.  That gives 9 or 10 months to learn the differences.

When I get my new laptop, it will get S6, my older Desktop will have S4, so I can try and play around with S6 and not affect my show sequencing that is almost done for Christmas 2023, not sure I'd I'll get much done for Halloween 2023 though.

13 minutes ago, Orville said:

Don't have any wheels in my Pixie16DV4, just mini dip switches. ;)

The (ID)wheels are on the Control panel Pixel console in HU

@Mica The Pixie Configuration button only appears (not gray) when a Pixie has been detected (I had to hook up a controller to my S6 computer), so it IS the same as S4

22 hours ago, Orville said:

I seem to recall you can not test lights in the HU with the Pixie16 controller.

As to my recollection you have to set up a test sequence to test an entire string, you can do (I think, if memory serves) a single bulb test chase in the HU, that lights each node one at a time, RGB order and White if checked, but I believe the steady on, fade up/down and twinkle are all greyed out (not available). 

So to light the entire strand, every node being lit, will require a test sequence you need to create. 

Otherwise, what you're getting from the HU is all you'll get.

Pressing the white button to get into test mode, (been a while since I used that option), but I think it might have a test that would light the entire strand at once.  Like stated, I haven't used that test in a while, so can't say 100% that the entire strand will light up in test mode.

Best bet is to create a sequence to test your RGB strings for correct color and controller settings.

Good luck!

You can test lights in the HU on a Pixie16 since S4 and the Pixie16 inception.

JR

19 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Whats a "Unit ID Wheel"?

1 hour ago, dibblejr said:

Whats a "Unit ID Wheel"?

Look at the Pixie config in HU. Those are spin wheels  where you make the number appear in the window like some combo locks

• 1 month later...

I have my connections in place. I am not sure about the channel assignments. For example my Pixie 16 Is Unit 04 with ports 1 through 16. What should the assignment of the individual arches 1-5 be?

Edited by Mica
Spelling

1 hour ago, Mica said:

I have my connections in place. I am not sure about the channel assignments. For example my Pixie 16 Is Unit 04 with ports 1 through 16.

Since you assigned ID 04, that will be port 1 and the remaining ports will be Unit IDs:  05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 0A, 0B, 0C, 0D, 0E, 0F, 10, 11, 12, & 13.

I did that, but, only one lights up in the sequences. So I'm confused as to why only 1 lights up? I have them as 16 unit 04 port 01, 16 unit 05 port 2? Etc. Correct?

Most likely the preview does not match that configuration.  Look at the String Summary in the preview you are using and make sure it looks as expected.  Here are my arches where each arch is a separate string (happens to be original Cosmic Color Pixels - not a Pixie - but behaves the same in this case).  If your browser does not embed the image, there is a direct link to it.

Arches-in-Preview.png

http://www.newburghlights.org/images/Arches-in-Preview.png

Remember. Pixels (smart) count different than dumb.

for dumb (CMB24 or AC) each port is a channel of the Boards ID

For Smart: Each port is an ID and each lamp (node) is 3 channels R, G, B So the first NODE is channels 1,2 and3, the next is:4,5,and 6...

Make sure you set the preview for SMART RGB and not (Dumb) RGB (24 channels)

FWIW HU can only test the first 50 nodes (150 channels). You still use it to configure max nodes per port