Light-O-Rama Forums

What is everyone adding to next years show?

ebrown1972

One can get a lot of idea's from Wayfair - some shared favorite links

https://www.wayfair.com/ib/JimeSmNwkw/9RzEZ_OnSe6SfzA-R1DNWg
https://www.wayfair.com/ib/JimeSmNwkw/CYBVvZtBT3-ky84fme8-yg
https://www.wayfair.com/ib/JimeSmNwkw/-1Lmpo_BTfyQaAEVj0ZiMg
https://www.wayfair.com/ib/JimeSmNwkw/wZkyPQwZRZaozZ3hZl6lgg
https://www.wayfair.com/ib/JimeSmNwkw/0u-FsGHrR1igno7ij-QUEw

I'll be New in 2021 with > 2 AC Controller's and 5 Pixie's with 5184 Pixels and 13 Smart 10w RGB Floods...........

Edited by KYHI
  • Like 1

On 1/27/2021 at 10:29 AM, Life With Lights said:

So about 7 yrs ago i bought the 90 amp welder from Harbor Freight and started making some wire frames.

What gauge metal have you been able to use? This HF Flux 125 Welder says welding capacity is 18 gauge to 3/16". I'm guessing you can tack thicker rods together to make frames? I would think you want 1/2" at least, for stability.

1 hour ago, tlogan said:

What gauge metal have you been able to use? This HF Flux 125 Welder says welding capacity is 18 gauge to 3/16". I'm guessing you can tack thicker rods together to make frames? I would think you want 1/2" at least, for stability.

with the 90 i could go to about 1/4" stock. with the 220 i have 1/2 flat stock with no problem. as for the wire frames i have only found light clips for 3/16 and 1/4" stock. for me and my little shop 3/16" is so much easier to work with. for most of the bends i can do by hand. depending on if it goes in the ground or hangs I use 3/8" rods for ground stakes weld them on the back side of the frames.  Most my frames are only 2' x 3'.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tlogan said:

1/2 inch I think would be too much, Doug at wireframedelights makes his out of 1/4 inch steel, The 20 feet of "Merry Christmas" sign he made me is very rigid and plenty strong. I believe you could use the HF welder mentioned to weld up 1/4 inch steel rod and the clips for attaching lights are readily available.

Keith

• Like 2

@Life With Lights, @Kapkirk - Thanks, guys. Good info, that's why I'm asking before I get too serious about it! I hadn't thought about the clip sizes, which I ran into in trying to swap out incans for LEDs on my wireframe deer. However, those stand on four legs and are stable on the ground , so I thought something heavier may be needed to stand up tall. I'll keep looking in to it. Sounds like fun to do.

• Like 1

With the newer LOR MP3 Directors supporting DMX, I plan on adding some DMX props this coming year (maybe just RGB luminaries to outline the yard).

10 minutes ago, longhorn said:

With the newer LOR MP3 Directors supporting DMX, I plan on adding some DMX props this coming year (maybe just RGB luminaries to outline the yard).

I was not aware of this feature, and need to research it as I was thinking I would upgrade from my current G3-MP3 Director (only 2 networks) since I am darn close to it's documented limits on pixels.  I have some DMX in my show, but use an iDMX1000 to cross over.  I was thinking same as you, plus some moving head lights.

12 minutes ago, hasslerk said:

I was not aware of this feature, and need to research it as I was thinking I would upgrade from my current G3-MP3 Director (only 2 networks) since I am darn close to it's documented limits on pixels.  I have some DMX in my show, but use an iDMX1000 to cross over.  I was thinking same as you, plus some moving head lights.

In fact, your G3-MP3 can now support DMX on one or both of your ports (with firmware v5.28 or later).  I upgraded to the G4-N4 version since I was already using two ports (enhanced high speed for my Pixie 16 controllers, and regular 57.6k for my wireless transmitter and high voltage controllers), so DMX will be out of the third port.  I think moving head lights are also in my future, but it may be a few years.

ETA: key item to know is that DMX is sent out over CAT5 pins 4 & 5 from the MP3 Director (so, the blue and blue/white wires).  I believe the standard is out of pins 1 & 2 (orange/white and orange wires).

Edited by longhorn

12 hours ago, longhorn said:

In fact, your G3-MP3 can now support DMX on one or both of your ports (with firmware v5.28 or later).  I upgraded to the G4-N4 version since I was already using two ports (enhanced high speed for my Pixie 16 controllers, and regular 57.6k for my wireless transmitter and high voltage controllers), so DMX will be out of the third port.  I think moving head lights are also in my future, but it may be a few years.

ETA: key item to know is that DMX is sent out over CAT5 pins 4 & 5 from the MP3 Director (so, the blue and blue/white wires).  I believe the standard is out of pins 1 & 2 (orange/white and orange wires).

You can get one of these DMX to LOR crossover cables from HC: Standard RS485 Based DMX to RS485 Based LOR Protocol Cross-Over Cable

Or make your own if you're capable of that.  Just know that I am NOT! LOL

• Thanks 1

I getting rid of my 16 by 50 pixel tree replacing it with a 24 by 50 veritical matrix I have a 24 by 50 horizontal also

• 1 month later...
On 2/3/2021 at 12:56 PM, james morris said:

I getting rid of my 16 by 50 pixel tree replacing it with a 24 by 50 veritical matrix I have a 24 by 50 horizontal also

I would like to see a video of your new vertical matrix in action when you get it all done if you don't mind. I have considered doing the same thing before. Thanks

19 hours ago, ebrown1972 said:

I would like to see a video of your new vertical matrix in action when you get it all done if you don't mind. I have considered doing the same thing before. Thanks

Just think of it as a pixel tree but the pixels are more consolidates therefore allowing closer viewers a better image.

My friend Robert at HolidaySequences has some new matrix's which I tested for the 2020 season they are 3x5 and I as well as anyone who has seen them loves them and most have purchased at least one. Same 1200 node count just more compact for the nodes we use. They are selling quick though. If i recall he made 30 of them for the latest run. 

JR

Edited by dibblejr

• 2 months later...

We did not do a show in 2020.  Out of our typical display we only put out about 15 lighted animals and a couple inflatables, and called it a day.

This year I'm going all out.  New props, new songs, every lighted animal (we have about 80), and all the inflatables (about a dozen).  The new props this year are two singing Christmas trees and four mini Christmas trees made from tomato cages that I've had in my shed for YEARS. I made the first mini-tree last weekend and was very pleased.  I'll make the other three this weekend.

To celebrate the new props, my husband challenged me to create six new songs for this year's show.  I've downloaded the songs I'll be adding, and hope to find pre-existing sequences to get a jump start.  

Either way, I'm looking forward to 2021's show!