Light-O-Rama Forums

What is everyone adding to next years show?

ebrown1972

The biggest things I will be adding is 2 of the boscoyo 96" flakes. I already purchased them and will be putting them together soon. I am also upgrading my matrix from 1200 nodes to 2048 nodes to make it a 32x64 matrix. I am hoping to get my 2 dmx 230w moving heads programmed this year as I didn't mess with them this past year. As always I look forward to doing new things for the show. What does everyone else plan to do?

I live on a corner lot so I have a side yard that my wife normally puts a static display in. The side of the house is 41 feet from the ground to the top of the house and she wants a large tree. I was thinking a 24x200 or 24x150 flat tree with a 6' star attached at the top of the house coming to the ground.

I will also be adding three 8' pixel trees to the main display in front.

Currently calculating everything I will need to catch some of these pre-sales that will be starting in January.

Thinking of making 2 candy cane spinners out of a bunch of Walmart candy canes that were causing a bunch of GFCI trips 3 yrs ago that I haven't used since.  I'll probably mount them to the front of our house to keep them off the ground.

24 minutes ago, Speedster said:

Thinking of making 2 candy cane spinners out of a bunch of Walmart candy canes that were causing a bunch of GFCI trips 3 yrs ago that I haven't used since.  I'll probably mount them to the front of our house to keep them off the ground.

I converted 12 of those (Walmart canes) to 12V WW strips (30L/M), 2 years ago. I use 2 (un-grouped) ports of a CMB24 to drive opposite pairs.  (5M does 5 canes)

I went to convert a pair of 5' canes this year and only can find 60L/M strips (way too bright for the thin plastic) at Amazon. Any sources for 2@ 5M 12V rolls that won't break the bank with outrageous S&H

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KYHI said:

Holiday light express (8 in stock) $22 not sure the shipping

Turns out, those were Smart RGB (3 wire) I need 2 wire (just 1 color)

For 2021, I hope to get some of the stuff I did not completed for 2020. 

Six Holiday Coro Candy canes.  Those are mostly sequenced, and I have had all the parts for a couple years.

50 Peace Family Pixel Stakes.  Built, but not installed this year.  Mostly not sequenced (why I did not install them).

I have a bunch of re-build stuff that was planned for 2020 that did not happen that I want to get done in 2021:

Rebuild the lights on the eves and roofline - badly needed (especially the roofline).  Add strobes to the eves.

Maybe rebuild my six arches - they are getting kinda tired.

• Like 1

NOTHING. I got yelled at this year for adding. I will wait one year. Just going to move around some existing props for next year.

14 minutes ago, Wayne K said:

But I do want to start upgrading controllers.

From what to what?  I'm going to guess, older AC controllers to Gen 3.  Was I right?

13 hours ago, Vince4xmas said:

NOTHING. I got yelled at this year for adding. I will wait one year. Just going to move around some existing props for next year.

I completely understand. By the way, love your display.

• Thanks 1

On 12/28/2020 at 1:47 PM, TheDucks said:

Turns out, those were Smart RGB (3 wire) I need 2 wire (just 1 color)

Have a look here > https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flexible-led-strip-lights/outdoor-single-color-led-strip-light-super-flexible-w-through-hole-leds-12v-waterproof-ip67-85-lumensft/123/

I think I'm going to add a 16 arch pixel fountain this year.  Here is my idea.  Using 1" Pex tubing, and flag pole holders (that holds a 1" flag pole), I will put them in a circle and and then have 16 arches sprouting out of it.  This will take up a large amount of yard but I think when sequenced, will look amazing.  I'm thinking each arch will only be 2.5 meters in length. 

I'm looking for some cheap ways to secure the pixel strips inside the Pex tubing so if anyone has used anything for them, I'm up for suggestions.

for your arches

2 hours ago, BluMan said:

I'm looking for some cheap ways to secure the pixel strips inside the Pex tubing so if anyone has used anything for them, I'm up for suggestions.

21 hours ago, k6ccc said:

From what to what?  I'm going to guess, older AC controllers to Gen 3.  Was I right?

Yes, from CTB-16D's to Gen 3's. The old ones work fine for the most part, but they don't like single strand led's on one channel.

13 hours ago, ebrown1972 said:

I completely understand. By the way, love your display.

Ditto - Love the display and love your sequencing.  

I've already added 2 more arches this year and relocated them to the spaces between the columns on the porch railing.   I'm still looking at options for the roofline (likely a pixel line) and replacing dumb RGBs with pixels around the windows.    It'll be my first foray into power injection...  Wish me luck.  :D

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nader said:

for your arches

OK, I did this slightly differently.   I got boards that are 72" long, 5" wide, and 1" thick, then screwed the rebar caps 1" in from each end.   Painted the whole thing black.   

I used 2" pex (10' length) and used a router to cut two slots about 3" from each end on the bottom.   

I cut a pixel strip to length (a little long, actually), and fed the tail end in one slit, and fed it through until I got the last bit of the strip (before the wires) into the pex.   Then I fed the other end through the other end and cut off the excess.   Hot glued the ends in place, slid the pex over the rebar caps, and secured them with 2" hose clamps.  

If anyone wants to see pictures, I can post some tomorrow. 

Edited by jtomason