Light-O-Rama Forums

Another Clipboard Bug

gsmith37064

Ok so I renamed the "std clipboard.lcb" file. I did not want to delete just in case.

Opened S5 and copied 1 grid block. It created the new "std clipboard.lcb" file at 1kb. My old file was 29kb. Tiny yes... but still 28 times bigger at 29kb.

So I am thinking that it was not clearing out the clipboard when I received the error.

I am able to paste that 1 grid block so I will give it a much harder workout this evening when I get busy trying to add the finishing touches to my sequence.

Location to file if anyone wants to check their size. C:\Users\username\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Clipboards

Edited by gsmith37064

Just selected 21 pixel channels for a duration of 2 mins. That is a good size of data.

The "std clipboard.lcb" file is now at 1.1 megs.

I am guessing I must have caught the paste or copy as it was writing before to produce that error... but for 15 minutes? Seems odd...

I have yet to test pasting... only copy. Wanted to verify how the clipboard file worked first. Will play more when I get home and give it a good run through.

Edited by gsmith37064

I too have been on S5 since its inception and have had no issues. I have pasted in clipboards that have been as large as 3 gig. Not debating that there are issues but I havent run into any. I just recently updated to the newest version was on 5.2.4 for the longest time. Not sure if anything changed after that.

9 minutes ago, dougd said:

I too have been on S5 since its inception and have had no issues. I have pasted in clipboards that have been as large as 3 gig. Not debating that there are issues but I havent run into any. I just recently updated to the newest version was on 5.2.4 for the longest time. Not sure if anything changed after that.

I am on the latest build of SE v5.3.14. But the issues have been verified by Matt with LOR. So I think they are real. :)

I honestly wish I could say I have not run into them. They are extremely frustrating... and to think, I was a laid back guy till 3 weeks ago. lol

If I remember correctly, you do a lot in Xlights. I am leaning more and more that way.

Edited by gsmith37064

25 minutes ago, dougd said:

Thing is... I am not doing any clipboard work. It's just the standard copy paste that happens to write to the clipboard when you do a copy inside of SE. No external clipboard file has been created or used in S5.

I keep saying this and yet everyone thinks I am using the clipboard. It's just the simple copy paste inside of SE.

Box On Rails mentioned an old issue with CTRL Z. Undo a copy/paste. Maybe it's still around in this version? I use it 100's of times during my sequencing. Not just a handful. I truly do live inside of SE.

Edited by gsmith37064

2 hours into playing around and I have not been able to reproduce that clipboard error. Maybe deleting the file and letting S5 recreate it worked??

I have the issue again... So deleting the file did no good.

@MattBrown Is there any news on getting this fixed?

I am about to scrap this POS software version and roll back to S4. I can't believe I paid for this!

Edited by gsmith37064

I can now reproduce the bug... I can't work around it. I have tried many different ways and will not let me paste any more.

Still dead and in the water as of this morning with S5...

When I copy and paste now... it will take my one grid size and paste it the length of the prop group in a vertical line. In this case my prop group are my 4 circles of 50 pixels each. That's 200 times it will paste.

Here is a quick video of it. https://youtu.be/KEoa1hvwF-8

In the video I grab a small section of white grids to copy just above it. For some reason it pastes to the length of the prop group now.

Then I tried to do just a single red grid and I get the same thing. If I hit CTRL Z, it starts to paste garbage. I did get the error again, but that was after I stopped the video.

Clipboard

A problem occurred while reading the clipboard 'Std Clipboard':

An entry with the same key already exists.

When I have more time this evening, I will do a longer video. I need to find my MIC as well. I am pretty frustrated over this so it may be best I don't use a MIC. :)

I also deleted the "std clipboard" file as before. It did no good this time.

Would it be possible for LOR to write me an export of S5 to S4 so I don't lose 3 weeks of work?

Edited by gsmith37064

19 hours ago, gsmith37064 said:

Thing is... I am not doing any clipboard work. It's just the standard copy paste that happens to write to the clipboard when you do a copy inside of SE. No external clipboard file has been created or used in S5.

I keep saying this and yet everyone thinks I am using the clipboard. It's just the simple copy paste inside of SE.

I don't  think you understand how the copy and paste feature works. When you select copy in the drop down menu it places all the selected data in the clipboard. by default the std clipboard.LCB, the extension .LCB is the standard LOR clipboard extension use byall versions of SE. when you use the paste feature in the dropdown menu you are pasting the data that is in the std clipboard.LCB file to the sequence. This is why we keep referencing the clipboard.Every time you cut and paste or copy and paste you are using the clipboard. 

I have learned a lot on how the clipboard works now and I am aware of that, but I consider the clipboard to be what I do with the autoflip program. What SE does behind the scene, is the same thing, but I think most people got the feeling I was using the autoflip and that could have been my problem. It's not. Wish it was to be honest as that's an easy fix... don't use it.

Right now, I want a fix as I can no longer work. Copy and paste is 100 percent borked for me at this point.

I will try to use the autoflip this evening just to see if I can move forward still. That's the only option I have yet to try. Maybe I will get lucky.

Edited by gsmith37064

No doubt you have found a big bug and the LOR people will fix it. I had a bug develop in the early version of S5 in Windows 7 just before I started running my Halloween show in 2019. I was in panic mode. LOR seem to take forever to find a work around or a fix so I went back to S4 for Halloween. The show went off without a hitch in S4. Soon after the show started they released 5.3.14 that had the fix. S5 ran my 2019 Christmas show with no issues in Windows 7. I was very frustrated as you are. Take a break. The LOR people got this. This bug is a big one and will get fixed soon. I know. I know. Yesterday was not soon enough. 😉

• Like 1

In the clipboard section of the toolbar, what option is choosen? Paste by time, paste by cell, stretch to fit, repeat to fit?

I am doing the same thing you are and I am on the same version and it seems to be working correctly, do you have teamviewer installed?

29 minutes ago, dougd said:

I am doing the same thing you are and I am on the same version and it seems to be working correctly, do you have teamviewer installed?

I do have it installed, but I will not be home till 4:15 pm.

Keep in mind that it ran find for a couple weeks then it started to act up. I was still able to continue on though. Over the past couple days it has gotten worse to the point that I can no longer use copy paste.

I don't know if it has something to do with the redesign on my prop in preview builder. But after it deleted my channels (i have another thread on this issue)... I was trying to fix it and it's using a lot of copy paste functions.

Edited by gsmith37064

Did you convert your preview from an S4 preview? I do remember having a few issues early on when I did that. I ended up redoing my preview natively in S5 and a lot of issues I was having went away.

35 minutes ago, dougd said:

Did you convert your preview from an S4 preview? I do remember having a few issues early on when I did that. I ended up redoing my preview natively in S5 and a lot of issues I was having went away.

Originally it was an S4 animation preview that I did convert over. Some if it still is (mainly just the dumb RGB stuff), but I have redone most of the smart pixel props. The circles have been deleted and redone new in S5 with the custom prop builder.

Wonder if I need to just scrap my preview design and redo it? I am afraid I will lose more of my work though as I thought redoing a prop would have archived off the old channels. Instead it deletes them. LOR needs to add a popup before you save warning you about this. Then the copy paste issued appeared even worse than before and then it broke to where I can no longer use it. Could it be related?

Edited by gsmith37064