Light-O-Rama Forums

would anyone be willing to help with what to go with for my house outline?

weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com

Remember to FUSE your PI lead.

I recommend using the same fuse size as on the Pixies Port.  22-18 Ga wire can get red hot with a short on a system fed from the larger (10A> )supplies we use.

Inline Automotive blade fuse holders can be found in bulk at Amazon

• 2 months later...

how do you guys feel about these? 

https://agoeu.com/12v-3-leds-ip65-waterproof-ws2811-ucs1903-sm16703-rgb-5050-led-module.html

I like the idea of the screw holes in case the glue fails. 

also, these lights have 4 wires going from module to module instead of 3.... whats does that mean?

I am going to go with the mounting boxes from HC. i ordered those today... still waiting to front the bill for the software upgrades. the 2 pixie 8 controllers and the software upgrades i will need is the Basic to pro. then the 16CCR package for superstar... over 400$......

im building a twin turbo 5.3 LS engine for a 88 foxbody right now... after I finish up the motor, im gonna start on this hobby obsession lol.. probably gonna have all materials and start sequencing by the end of June.... and Im looking for Dibble JRs youtube link if anyone has it.

Cant spend the 400 on it until I get my motor in the Fox. ;) 

Edited by weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com

36 minutes ago, weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com said:

also, these lights have 4 wires going from module to module instead of 3.... whats does that mean?

That page has several available chip types.  If you look at al the photos, some of them are using a longer 14 pin chip and those have four wires.  The ones that have the almost square 8 pin chip are the WS2811 and use three wires.

4 hours ago, weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com said:

how do you guys feel about these? 

https://agoeu.com/12v-3-leds-ip65-waterproof-ws2811-ucs1903-sm16703-rgb-5050-led-module.html

I like the idea of the screw holes in case the glue fails. 

I am going to go with the mounting boxes from HC. i ordered those today... still waiting to front the bill for the software upgrades. the 2 pixie 8 controllers and the software upgrades i will need is the Basic to pro. then the 16CCR package for superstar... over 400$......

im building a twin turbo 5.3 LS engine for a 88 foxbody right now... after I finish up the motor, im gonna start on this hobby obsession lol.. probably gonna have all materials and start sequencing by the end of June.... and Im looking for Dibble JRs youtube link if anyone has it.

Cant spend the 400 on it until I get my motor in the Fox. ;) 

I replied to your PM. No YouTube BS here. Vimeo is the way to go, right now.

I think I sent you link a while back with the place to buy those. The most affordable around. Three seasons now and have been permanently mounted to the roofline since I received. All of the 2 seasons we have here in Alabama but manage at times to get 4 seasons in a couple days. No problems yet.

Also they are 3 wires for normal use. There are 2 PI wires. In most cases you will just cut the end off and solder to your connector.  All 3 modules are RGB. The video I sent you has the MFG in it. Just go to Amazon or Ebay. Normally now they sell on ebay. Their factory just opened back up about 2 weeks ago.

If you need more than 100 pixels per port let me know and I will tell you how to set it up in S5. I just helped another member yesterday with this. Don't rely on the manual and don't put a jumper anywhere. Please ask first. I have never seen the manual but I have read everything about, build many pixie controllers. I guess the manua states to place a jumper in a certain pins. If you do that you will have 25, 50 0r 100 max pixels per port. But first it needs to be configured properly and that will not be done without help. I briefly explain that in my tutorial video under the General Hardware section (top thread). But I do not elaborate.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

I always thought 3 wire were DC +, DC - and Data, if f 4 Wires then the 4th was for Clock.  What does PI mean?  Pixel Input.   I've usually seen 3 and 4 wire labeled as I had stated earlier.  So a PI label is one I haven't seen before.  And I think it's odd how the photo's start at showing only a 3 wire unit, then transform later  into a 4 wire one.  Seems they have 2 different products for the photographs of this unit, but says nothing about the difference for the 4th {or the 3rd} wife in the description.   Least not that I could find.

8 minutes ago, Orville said:

I always thought 3 wire were DC +, DC - and Data, if f 4 Wires then the 4th was for Clock.  What does PI mean?  Pixel Input.   I've usually seen 3 and 4 wire labeled as I had stated earlier.  So a PI label is one I haven't seen before.  And I think it's odd how the photo's start at showing only a 3 wire unit, then transform later  into a 4 wire one.  Seems they have 2 different products for the photographs of this unit, but says nothing about the difference for the 4th {or the 3rd} wife in the description.   Least not that I could find.

PI- power injection.  There are 5 wires. 3 for the controller +, -, D (with connectors) 2 lose wires are + and -. The OP will want the 3 wires. Look at the link I posted above, they are the correct. The OPs add has multiple types.

JR

Different pixel types can require generally three wires (Power positive, power negative, and data) or four wires (adds a clock signal).  Sometimes the strings are wired with a separate power positive and negative connection so that Power Injection can easily be made at that point.  The first photo on the page for the pixels being discussed has the PI wires showing in the lower right corner.  That page can be confusing because there are at least two different pixel types in the photos, but no indication which is which (other than knowing that the 2811 is an eight pin chip and some of the photos show a 14 pin chip).

Thanks! And JR, I still have that link that you sent, that will be the route I will go.... the only reason I came across this, I was shopping around for something that wasn’t from China.... I did manage to find the same lights from a person in California, but not as cheap.... also, I watched your video this morning. Thank you, it gives me a perfect idea, also,i  can show my bride exactly what the style will look like......./////

I’ve gotta figure out how to mount them to my columns... I was thinking I could do 10 lights up/10 lights down on each. 

I’m going with the 2 pixie 8s set up. I’ve got about 250 ft of  shielded 18/4 wire that I acquired as “corporate benefits” from work. ;)

Am I correct on upgrading to PRO lvl, AND buying 16CCR superstar? (obviously need to upgrade to S5)

33 minutes ago, weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com said:

I was shopping around for something that wasn’t from China....

I think I am glad I got my annual Ray Wu order completed earlier this year.

Thanks guys.... and JR, i just ordered 200 from the link you sent me... I will play with those when they come in. by the time they get here, i should have the software. and will need some help after that! i can play with my columns with the order of 200.... 

that hardware store thats within walking distance of my house told me he keeps 500ft of 1/2 PVC in stock..... probably going to paint them black so they wont be so obvious.

when you screwed the HC clips in your shingles, did you put any caulk on them before drilling holes in the roof?

Edited by weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com
added info

2 hours ago, weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com said:

Thanks guys.... and JR, i just ordered 200 from the link you sent me... I will play with those when they come in. by the time they get here, i should have the software. and will need some help after that! i can play with my columns with the order of 200.... 

that hardware store thats within walking distance of my house told me he keeps 500ft of 1/2 PVC in stock..... probably going to paint them black so they wont be so obvious.

when you screwed the HC clips in your shingles, did you put any caulk on them before drilling holes in the roof?

Mine are actually on the soffits , no silicone required. 

Let me know when you need help.

JR

9 hours ago, weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com said:

Thanks! And JR, I still have that link that you sent, that will be the route I will go.... the only reason I came across this, I was shopping around for something that wasn’t from China.... I did manage to find the same lights from a person in California, but not as cheap.... also, I watched your video this morning. Thank you, it gives me a perfect idea, also,i  can show my bride exactly what the style will look like......./////

I’ve gotta figure out how to mount them to my columns... I was thinking I could do 10 lights up/10 lights down on each. 

I’m going with the 2 pixie 8s set up. I’ve got about 250 ft of  shielded 18/4 wire that I acquired as “corporate benefits” from work. ;)

Am I correct on upgrading to PRO lvl, AND buying 16CCR superstar? (obviously need to upgrade to S5)

If you have actual real columns- I know sounds funny but a great friend always refers to his columns but he doesn’t have them except for holiday time.

Anyway you can get some large 3’ zip ties and just zip ties for the holiday. If you need longer just connect how ever many zip ties together.

JR

Haha look back at my original post. I have “actual” columns. lol not a mansion. But I got columns 😂

I use pixel nets from HC for my 4 columns. Hang from top and bungee around columns. 5 years and no issues.

I would love to be able to put about 4-6 rows of nodes on each column... I just can’t afford all those nodes and the controllers that it would take to run 2400 nodes. Lol

9 minutes ago, weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com said:

I would love to be able to put about 4-6 rows of nodes on each column... I just can’t afford all those nodes and the controllers that it would take to run 2400 nodes. Lol

Keep in mind you  don't have to populate every node hole in the nets though. Vince's idea will still work and give you expansion room later. 

JR

I agree, I’ve been thinking though. This will only be my second year doing the show, I wanna start with something simple... if this year goes good, I may do nets this year. Or some other kind of design. If yours had withstood the weather for 3 years +, then no matter what, I can always add to later :D, I’m gonna use the 3 node strips everywhere  this year, they are cheaper to cover more area.

wow.... pro level..... holy crap. what have I done... i need another monitor.... 😅

my lights should be here in about two weeks... by then ill have my two pixie 8s ready and wired for testing... i am pretty sure i have the number of nodes along my layout that i will need.....is there an easy way to change the colors of the special effect?.... also since i am only doing a house outline in pixels,,, would superstar benefit me or make this any easier?

On 4/23/2020 at 7:39 AM, weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com said:

wow.... pro level..... holy crap. what have I done... i need another monitor.... 😅

my lights should be here in about two weeks... by then ill have my two pixie 8s ready and wired for testing... i am pretty sure i have the number of nodes along my layout that i will need.....is there an easy way to change the colors of the special effect?.... also since i am only doing a house outline in pixels,,, would superstar benefit me or make this any easier?

If you are only doing an outline S5 will do for now. I am a novice at S5 so not much help there but there are plenty of others that may chime in. Nothing like just playing around with it to start.

JR