Light-O-Rama Forums

Network Configuration

Listen to the lights

1 hour ago, jtomason said:

We had all that rain last night - cancelled the show.  Fortunately it didn't get severe as they thought it might.   

Heck, at this rate, it might be simpler for me to come over there and make you a CAT6 cable with the jacket not fully inserted so it can do 90 degrees right off the RJ-45 plug.  Secure it inside the case for strain relief and you should be good.   

Yes, I know, right? LOL   I'll eventually figure out something. 

I'm attempting to search the internet and see if I can find ready made flat cat cables with those 90 degree connectors on both ends, if not, then I'm going to suggest that implementation to some of the cat cable sites that sell them., especially LONGER length ones like 25, 50, 75  feet or longer!  I definitely see a need for them with the RGB controllers LOR sells.   Maybe LOR will be the first to start making them, would be a lot easier to just buy them from LOR if they had them, especially for their RGB Controllers already mounted in a box that come with the RGB Pixel lights. {HINT, HINT LOR}  Maybe if they find out enough people want flat cat cables with 90 degree connectors at each end, then maybe these cat cable suppliers {or LOR} will start selling them {providing none do that already}.  Still researching and searching to see if any such item exists somewhere.

Edited by Orville

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Orville

• jtomason

• TheDucks

• dibblejr

38 minutes ago, Orville said:

Yes, I know, right? LOL   I'll eventually figure out something. 

I'm attempting to search the internet and see if I can find ready made flat cat cables with those 90 degree connectors on both ends, if not, then I'm going to suggest that implementation to some of the cat cable sites that sell them., especially LONGER length ones like 25, 50, 75  feet or longer!  I definitely see a need for them with the RGB controllers LOR sells.   Maybe LOR will be the first to start making them, would be a lot easier to just buy them from LOR if they had them, especially for their RGB Controllers already mounted in a box that come with the RGB Pixel lights. {HINT, HINT LOR}  Maybe if they find out enough people want flat cat cables with 90 degree connectors at each end, then maybe these cat cable suppliers {or LOR} will start selling them {providing none do that already}.  Still researching and searching to see if any such item exists somewhere.

Short term, I'm actually thinking that a 6" cable that is jacketless at the connector (and can do 90 degrees) and ending in a normal RJ-45 plug (going into a coupler) would be a better idea.  Can you fit that in the enclosure, and just plug in a regular cable of whatever length would suit?   Maybe a picture of what you're working with would help. 

2 hours ago, jtomason said:

Short term, I'm actually thinking that a 6" cable that is jacketless at the connector (and can do 90 degrees) and ending in a normal RJ-45 plug (going into a coupler) would be a better idea.  Can you fit that in the enclosure, and just plug in a regular cable of whatever length would suit?   Maybe a picture of what you're working with would help. 

This is similar but the jacks in mine are green and closer to the entry/exit ports next to the power cord.  Mine are version 1 and I think this is a Version 2 unit I was able to get a picture of from the LOR website.  I'll have to see if I can use my wifes phone to take an actual photo of mine {still raining here off and on, so still too wet to open one up to get the photo}.

But these jacks look a lot farther apart in this version than the version I have, my jacks are lower, green and look to be slightly closer together.

CosmicColorPixelControllerInside.jpg

• 10 months later...

in trying to get a booted cable into a gen 2 controller's socket, the socket tilted up, and now the controller can't be recognized in the hardware utility using that socket.

I'll never try another booted cable again! 

Second socket still works - but have to use box as the last controller on the line.

Any suggestion (or instruction link) on how to repair the loose socket?

i

Just now, JRC said:

in trying to get a booted cable into a gen 2 controller's socket, the socket tilted up, and now the controller can't be recognized in the hardware utility using that socket.

Second socket still works - but have to use box as the last controller on the line.

i

If you are very good at soldiering you can use a workstation and special tip to rework it. (That may work) Or you can leave it the last controller until after the season. LOR can repair it , I imagine. However this is the busiest time of the year and I know you'd never get it back in time for New Years. LOL

I would suggest keep it last in line until after the New Years then send it in unless you think you can fix.

Yes try to make your own cables, saves money and you learn from it.

JR 

On 10/27/2019 at 1:18 AM, JRC said:

i

Seems most often now, the Cat5 cables are booted.   If you are very careful and use a set of wire cutters/snippers, you can cut the boot off the cables to small enough to work without causing issues like that.   I've had to cut off many boots off cat5 cables because I just couldn't find one locally when I needed a quick replacement.  So I carefully cut the boots off mine.   You can use an X-Acto knife, but there is more risk of cutting into, and damaging the cable.  I prefer a set of diagonal wire cutters and trim the boot off carefully, just enough so that it can be put it and taken out with ease.   Also be very careful when you cut the boot off you don't break the tang on the cat5 connector!

I got these at Amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FZPDG1K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They have a thin blade that is crazy strong (I cut a metal Zipper slide off a jammed Zipper while the clothes were being worn. I really expected these to break, but the blades were the only thing that would get in there)

41 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

I got these at Amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FZPDG1K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They have a thin blade that is crazy strong (I cut a metal Zipper slide off a jammed Zipper while the clothes were being worn. I really expected these to break, but the blades were the only thing that would get in there)

I have the exact same pair.  😁

• The topic was locked