Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB newbie questions

Dcroc

Use the pigtails to create your own length of cable. So, buy a spool of 3 or 4 conductor cable and solder these pigtails on the ends. You are going to save a lot of money by making your own. If you like wasting money, continue your search and find pre-made.

Phrog,

I do intend to make my own, but what should I be looking for? I mean, I believe the pigtail is a 3-pin connector...so how would I go about building it myself? I don't want to screw up and do something horribly stupid or wrong.

Your buying dumb strips so you need 4pin pigtails & cable. Creativelightingdisplays has cables up to 40 feet if memory serves me correctly. I'll post a link when I get home if someone else hasn't done so by then.

Darryl,

Thanks. I replied a direct question for clarification from CLD Kevin... awaiting response. I'll pose the same question here in case you may know the answer.

"Is there a way I can buy RGB dumb strips and a 12vDC power supply and hook the two together without having to buy the CMB-24D card? I just want to see in person if I really like the RGB strips or not."

This should be one of the last few questions I have.

Sure.  You just want to see the strip light up, I gather.  Just hook the common (positive) wire from the strip to the positive connection of the power supply.  Then connect one or more of the color wires (negative) from the strip to the negative connection of the power supply.  Depending on which color wires you hook up will change what color (or colors) light up.

Sweet. I don't have to use the 12vDC power supply offered by LOR and other places, if I have my own at home, right? Also. You're right. I just want to see the strip light up. Do you know which color wires are positive, negative, etc? If not, no biggie. I can figure it out.

Yes you can hook the strips directly to the power supply.

Just watch the polarity. It will be marked on the strips