Light-O-Rama Forums

USB driver hangs

disneyman

I had the hang issue, but thought it was a fluke. I havent tried it since, been using the serial-rs485 adapter since

Dan - which cable? is it the usb or cat 5? I have several different manufactures of cable I can try.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lkinsey

• socalezrider

• disneyman

• LightORamaDan

It is the USB cable... We tried a number of different cables and different filters until we found the correct combination. Even VERY expensive cables made no difference.

We will be adding the cables to the store. They definitely make a big difference. We cannot test every PC and every LOR network but we can generate tons of noise that immediately crashes the USB device on a some PCs that we have and the cables prevent that from happening.

Ironical, a 6 year old Gateway computer that we used to develop the USB devices, never fails... The USB hardware is like a rock!

• 2 weeks later...

Success!

The new cable works great! 7days an counting and not so much as a hiccup.

I ran around the house flipping switches plugging and unplugging things,even the fluorescent lights haven't caused a crash.

Thanks to dan and everyone at lightorama for sticking with this problem. I am glad I made the choice to buy lightorama they prove time and time again that they are the best!!

I have also tested the new cable and have had no further issues with the adapter freezing up.

I am running LORII with 32 channels and a DMX universe in my basement. Previously I would run at most 15 minutes before the adapter would hang.

I ran all weekend without a hitch. Thanks for the solution!!

disneyman wrote:

Success!

The new cable works great! 7days an counting and not so much as a hiccup.

I ran around the house flipping switches plugging and unplugging things,even the fluorescent lights haven't caused a crash.

Thanks to dan and everyone at lightorama for sticking with this problem. I am glad I made the choice to buy lightorama they prove time and time again that they are the best!!

DerrickHoffland wrote:
I have also tested the new cable and have had no further issues with the adapter freezing up.

I am running LORII with 32 channels and a DMX universe in my basement. Previously I would run at most 15 minutes before the adapter would hang.

I ran all weekend without a hitch. Thanks for the solution!!

That is good news. Those are the results we saw but it is good to see it working in the field.

One minor correction. The problem was not the Adapter freezing but rather it was the hardware and/or USB drivers in the PC that were freezing up. I only mention this so that people do not think that a new adapter will fix the problem. A particular adapter would work fine on one PC but with the same adapter another PC would occasionally freeze up. The cable filters noise from the PC thus adverting problems.

Dan

Is the cable available for purchase? I scanned this post twice and can see mention that it might be available, but didn't really see if I could or what I should purchase. I want to get it as a precaution.

bossgroove wrote:

Is the cable available for purchase? I scanned this post twice and can see mention that it might be available, but didn't really see if I could or what I should purchase. I want to get it as a precaution.

The Cable will listed in the accessories by Monday.

• 4 weeks later...

I have one of the new filtered USB cables and ran my show all day without any hangs.

I did all the things that created a failure in the past and I'm happy to say I failed to replicate the failure.

Nice work LOR Team....

I had the same problem with the show stopping and posted it under LOR hardware. After contacting Dan I determined that unplugging the USB cable would free up the locked up computer, but I had to reboot to get the show started again. I tried using the filtered USB cable from LOR, but still had the problem. I didn't know what else to do since time was running out so I set everything up on another computer. I have been testing everything inside for a week and have not had the same problem.

disneyman wrote:

Yes all updated were applied to xp and lor. I thought that maybe it was crashing because I was also running zara radio, but it crashes with nothing running.:P

ZaraRadio is not going to crash your system or cause problems with LOR. Your problem is somewhere else.

Oh, I came back in to edit and say that I did not see your posting about your success with usb cable before I posted this. I'm connecting to my computer at home from a remote location. Glad to hear you got things resolved.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I'm looking at purchasing a cheap laptop for my display. The recommendation on the LOR website for the new software is a Pentium 4 processor. I started to look and got confused on the certain types of processors (i.e. Dual Core, Core 2 Duo, Pentium M). I'm just wondering what you think was the best.

Liteitup wrote:

I'm looking at purchasing a cheap laptop for my display. The recommendation on the LOR website for the new software is a Pentium 4 processor. I started to look and got confused on the certain types of processors (i.e. Dual Core, Core 2 Duo, Pentium M). I'm just wondering what you think was the best.

Bottom line is that any computer you buy new, even very low end computers, are going to have far more memory and and many times more processing power than you will need for LOR. Pentium 4 is the older class of processors that have been out for many years. Duo core types of processors are the newest line in the last year with faster processing (but not a lot faster).

I think a more important choice is whether or not you want a 32-bit version of Windows or the 64 bit. There is some performance improvement in 64-bit, but in my opinion, it isn't enough to offset the problems you might have if you run lots of programs. If you get a 64-bit version, then software with drivers are going to need the 64-bit version of those drivers. Another important thing to me is that I occasionally do some Visual Basic 6 programs and the development system will not run on the 64-bit platform.