Light-O-Rama Forums

USB driver hangs

disneyman

Software crashes before during and after a show. Lor monitor locks up, System has to be shutdown to gain control. I am running windows xp .2.4 ghz pentium 4, 512 of memory. computer was formatted and used exclusively with Lor Everthing is up to date.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lkinsey

• socalezrider

• disneyman

• LightORamaDan

Yes all updated were applied to xp and lor. I thought that maybe it was crashing because I was also running zara radio, but it crashes with nothing running.:(

Hmm, well if it crashes with nothing running it has to be a system problem, If its having that many problems i would format it and reinstall windows. thats always the best way but the most time consuming to.

No I mean nothing besides lormonitor.exe. Without lor running computer stays up hrs. with it running if you cight click on the lor Icon in the task bar after awhile the status window crashes and hangs and you have to reboot to get it to quit.

Same problem happened to me last night (i had over 70 people here for the unvailing of this years new show, including local media and the charity we support/donate to). Weirdess this too, ran for almost 2.5 hours with out failure after that.

It happened again tonight 10 minutes into the show. Control panel still shows the show is running, but nothing, no sound and no lights. In order to regain control of the system, I have to perform a hard reboot and wait for it to come back up. Then of course I have to unplug and replug the USB485B adapter into the systems USB port so that the hardware utility will detect the controllers before enabling the show.

Last year was great (1.5.0), once the sequences were done, the show was created and scheduled, I never had to worry about being home to monitor the show. Looks like it will be a very long month here in western Colorado as I will become a homebody so that I can babysit the show.

Does anyone know if it is possible to run 1.5.0 with 3 controllers from last year running firmaware version 3.1 and two new ones ordered this year running 4.0 firmware? If so I might just go back to 1.5.0 until 1.6.9 becomes more stable. Dan, your thoughts?

Dan at LOR is great at replying quickly, so hang tight. In the meantime, I hope the guys at LOR have some fixes on the way...

I too am experiencing this very thing. PC is a fresh load of XP fully patched Windows XP. I went through the process of removing the FTDI drivers for my USB serial adapter and re-installing the latest drivers. I am still experiencing a lights out condition in the middle of sequences, once the audio for that sequence ends, it stops the show. I have created fresh shows, and used different sequences within. The condition is totally random. I am running a 32 channel config with very 1.6.1, though I have tried 16.9 with the same results. Did not have this trouble last year.

Help!!

I suggest trying the 2.0.8 gamma LORII version. Its has been doing well. i have had no problems been running it every night and has not missed at all. You can always remove it and go back. just backup your sequences first.

• 2 weeks later...

My system (winXP, fast laptop) has been crashing requiring a reboot every 15 minutes to maybe several hours. since I've started my shows this year.

I'm running LOR 1.6.15 but had failures on 1.6.9 as well. and have updated all my firmware.

The problem is my USB485B. I don't know if it's defective or just not ready for prime time or perhaps should be used for linkers only and the manuals revised accordingly.

Here's the scenario; If I flip a 110v switch such as an outdoor light switch or better yet, unplug my transmitter and then plug it back in, my LORMonitor and LORTray go into the dreaded "not responding" mode and the only recovery is a reboot.

If you're using this adapter and think you have the same problem, run your show and then open Task Manager and look in the Applications folder. You should see the LOR apps running, Then start flipping power switches and see if you get a failure. There may be a 2-4 second delay before they start locking up.

I was able to crash my system even when all the controllers were off. (unplugged actually which may have made the diagnosis problematic since they were no longer grounded). The failure went away only after disconnecting both signal cables from this adapter. Either dead signal cable caused a failure.

I've had no failures, accidental or attempted, after switching back to my USB/Serial adapter.

Search on USB485B and you'll see my original symptom which, unfortunately, I later thought was a fluke and disregarded.

This adapter was originally designed to drive Linkers beyond 25 feet and for that purpose, could be perfectly fine but if used to drive a controller, be aware.

Well you might have something there because I am using the USB485B also and no matter which version of lor software I run, which drivers, or even which computer, (I also tried the kids computer and my laptop. Sorry Kids;) ) it crashes and requires a hard reboot to get going again .

It crashes with no rhyme or reason,it can go an hour ,or a whole show,or even 10 minutes but will not run from day to day.:(

My fix was to go back to a serial/usb adapter. If you don't have such an adapter, I can only suggest that you isolate the power the best you can to keep spurious electrical noise from the controllers and the adapter until LOR comes out with a fix or you order a serial adapter. Ideally different drivers for the adapter would be made available so one could tune the adapter for sensitivity.

Mine appears all too ready to pick up Aliens or Martians if they choose to transmit.

I just tested your your theory and as much as I wanted it to be just "your" problem, it appears you may be correct. My system hung and required a reboot. Probably not the best idea to perform such a test during the middle of the show with half a dozen cars out front!

LightORama Dan, what can you and/or LOR do to help and quickly?

I was having the same type problems and updating my software to LOR 1.6.15 AND updating my usb drivers did the trick. I've gone a week now with no problems (knock on wood). Before...I was only going a couple of days at best.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Yes, it is. I read somewhere that someone had to uninstall LOR software, then reinstall original software they had...then update straight to 1.6.15. Luckily, I went from 1.6.3 to 1.6.9 to 1.6.15 with no problems (as of yet). You also might want to check your data cables to make sure they're a-ok.