Light-O-Rama Forums

USB driver hangs

disneyman

Well, I had started a thread with the same problem so I will add to this one too....I am too going through the same thing....in order to have to show running for one night I have to go to download the update for the driver.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lkinsey

• socalezrider

• disneyman

• LightORamaDan

I am a Vista User and installed the latest upgrade from the LOR web site which helped alot on my lockups, but I still locked up about 3 or 4 times a night after that upgrade. I think I found another problem with Vista and maybe XP that causes this lockup problem. When I disabled my screen saver and set the computer power management to High Performance instead of energy star my problems have seemed to disapear. Knock on wood.

Vista Fix:

From your desktop right click with the mouse and a menu apears on Vist, select Personalize, then select ScreenSaver, Set Screen saver to None, then click on Change power settings, Select High Performance. Mine had Energy Star Selected and I think it was the problem. I applied the fix 12-22-07 and havent locked up since.

On the same note, you need to make sure that your computer settings are changed so that it will not go into the standby or sleep modes.

disneyman wrote:

Well Computer Ran 3 Days in a row with no problems and then BANG christmas eve locked up twice:?.

Bummer. Were any of the computers you tested on desktops?

Because I can re-create the problem with ease, I'm going to do more testing shortly with version 2 and see if the problem is still there using this adapter. I'm guessing it'll still fail under the same conditions.

I see by your post's that your failures weren't too consistent but if they are reproducible, you might want to run Windows Task Manager as I've mentioned in a previous thread to verify the cause. I failed to mention in that thread that after the applications "LorMonitor" and "LorTray" go into the "not responding" mode (2-4 seconds after the cause), the show continues until that sequence ends so unless one is watching the task manager closely during the show, the actual cause of the hangup could have been a minute or two ago depending on how long the show (that sequence) is.

I image that many are shutting down their shows now that Christmas is past but this problem will need to be resolved or folks may have the identical problem next year even with LOR2.

Hang in there.

Here is my latest test of this usb adapter.

Testing with a new laptop with Vista and using LORII (2.0.12) it still fails but with more difficulty. I had to plug and unplug the transformer for my transmitter 7 or 8 times before it crashed.

This is the first crash of my Vista system and am slightly annoyed that it was still necessary to reboot to recover.

I made a statement earlier that after the application hangs up that the sequence continues to the end. this not correct. The music continues to the end but the video stops.

lor

lkinsey wrote:

[snip]
I image that many are shutting down their shows now that Christmas is past but this problem will need to be resolved or folks may have the identical problem next year even with LOR2. [snip]

Most people have not had a problem with their USB adapters and have had shows run for weeks without issue.

We know that USB driver problems have affected a few percent of users and we will work through out the year to harden things. This is something we are not going to ignore.

When we are on the phone with a customer the one thing we never want to say is "there is nothing I can do to help you" so we will be working on it.

• 6 months later...

socalezrider wrote:

Is there any update/resolution to this problem yet? Please advise.

The current software is less sensitve to USB driver problems than earlier verisons. (This does not include the Hardware Utility which has not had changes to the communications). You can for example, unplug the USB adapter during a show and plug it back in without causing a problem. In earlier versions of the software that would have caused the show to hang.

We are also looking into different USB vendor chips as well as enhanced filtering on exsiting our existing designes. We are at the mercy of the vendor's USB drivers and if they hang there is little we can do about it. We will continue to work on this.

I think the problem described here is the same problem I described in http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum76/16612.html

I've only being doing short-duration tests with a DC board, but my problem is happening when I power up and down the DC power supply. The USB adapter is becoming unresponsive, requiring it to be unplugged and plugged back in to the USB port, and in some cases it comes back online without a reboot. Same problem on all four USB ports on the show PC (a small form-factor 2nd-hand Compaq desktop). My main PC however has no problems.

If we're suspecting electrical interference, an idea to throw out there............. since the USB485B has two RJ45 sockets, if only one is in use and the other is exposed, would some kind of terminator in the unused socket help protect it?

For RF interference, like switching motors and fluorescent on and off, (most of the cases I see documented in this thread) the type of wire being used will be far more important than if there is an open connector on the adapter... It would be interesting to see if the issues relating to motors and fluorescent fixtures switching on and off are more common when using phone cord instead of cat5, or if it is independent of the cable type used..

Nixay, do you have a powered USB hub you could try between your show PC and your USB-485B? Not sure it is likely to make a difference, but it is interesting that the issue only occurs on your show PC...

- Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue with a slightly different twist. I have the USB485B running off a Compaq small form factor desktop. I am using the hardware utility in console mode to live control DMX moving heads and scanners to music playing off a CD in the computer.

I can go about 3-5 minutes before the hardware utility locks up and I need to reboot. The computer, however, will not perform a reboot through the start menu nor through a ctrl-alt-del. I have to pull the power plug. This is despite using the end now option on the LOR not responding dialog and verifying that the application is no longer running in the task manager.

Running the heads from a DMX operator console, independent of LOR, will still cause the hardware utility to hang.

DerrickHoffland wrote:

The computer, however, will not perform a reboot through the start menu nor through a ctrl-alt-del. I have to pull the power plug. This is despite using the end now option on the LOR not responding dialog and verifying that the application is no longer running in the task manager.

Out of curiosity, if you unplug the USB485B from the USB port can you then perform a reboot?

Nixay, do you have a powered USB hub you could try between your show PC and your USB-485B?

I don't have a powered USB hub so haven't been able to try this, however I'm going to get hold of a SC485-RJ45 serial adapter and test the stability of that and if successful will probably ditch the USB and go with serial ports instead. My cable runs won't be long enough need the booster anyway.

Nixay wrote:

Out of curiosity, if you unplug the USB485B from the USB port can you then perform a reboot?

I have not tried this. I put this together for my daughter's birthday party and didn't realize the problem until too late. I ended up just working around it. If I have more time this weekend, I will do some trial and error.

When it worked, it was pretty cool though:

Attached files 155184=8944-IMG_7648 sm.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well it's a new year and we have great new software but:( the crashing problem continues. The show crashes at ramdom times but it does not always crash.

disneyman wrote:

Well it's a new year and we have great new software but:( the crashing problem continues. The show crashes at ramdom times but it does not always crash.

Hi,

I sent you a PM asking for your address and the type of USB adapter you have. We have a new cable that will hopefully solve your problem. I want to send you one to test with.

If there are a few more folks that are having a USB hang problem and who have a display up now, send an email to support@lightorama.com . I would like to get a few more people to run a test.

Thanks
Dan