Light-O-Rama Forums

cjcruz

Built a new computer for my show. Solid state drive for quick start up and a 2nd drive to hold all my files. I decided to go with 3 monitors to help in sequencing and playback. I use the left for the visualizer, middle for sequencing, and the right for videos which is also connected to a projector. So far it's been working great. Anybody doing something similar or have a better setup? I like to see what you guys are using to make sequencing faster and easier.

post-12829-0-53726000-1407601157_thumb.j

For coding, I use a 4 monitor set up.  2 for code, 1 for debug/output info, 1 for misc docs/code snips/interface info.

FYI:  For those considering using multiple monitors, you want to use a video CARD that can support them (CJ appears to be using one).  USB monitors are great, inexpensive, and work just fine for things that don't need high refresh rates.  However things like Visualizer and SE need the extra oomph from a real card, not an emulated USB driver.

It has been my (limited, I admit) experience that using a USB monitor also slows down cards directly connected to video card.  This is because the driver for the USB adapter has to decide what is going where, and that doesn't get done on the very high speed GPU of the card.  For example, if I play Skyrim on my gaming machine it is a solid 60fps all day long without breaking a sweat (GTX 650 not overclocked).  If I hook up a USB monitor, even if I am playing on one of the other displays directly hooked up to the card, my fps drops to around half and I start getting all kinds of artifacts/etc.  

DevMike you're right. I'm using 2 video cards. I have two monitors connected to an ASUS GEFORCE GTX 650 and 1 monitor connected to a ZOTAC GEFORCE GT 610. Loads up quick and smooth video.

Don't know if I need 4 monitors but I may change my mind by next week lol.

awesome!!! im actually about to purchase a new desktop just for recording and playing around and light programming i might look into dual monitors im currently using a 46" lcd as my monitor

That's a big monitor. Do you have it on your desk or mounted on the wall? Make sure your video card can handle 2 monitors.

My 46" is wall mounted, but the secondary screen will be a regular 22 or 24" (whatever I find on sale) I love sequencing on my big screen it makes channel searching alot and sequencing period a lot easier for me and also I should add that the second screen im adding will be used just to run the visualizer instead of swapping between frames and the new i7 hp desktop im looking at doesn't support dual screens but ill buy a video card for it

i use 4 monitors  have 2 770 nvidia gtx cards that supports up to 3 monitors each

I checked the specs on those cards. Very impressive.

My 46" is wall mounted, but the secondary screen will be a regular 22 or 24" (whatever I find on sale) I love sequencing on my big screen it makes channel searching alot and sequencing period a lot easier for me and also I should add that the second screen im adding will be used just to run the visualizer instead of swapping between frames and the new i7 hp desktop im looking at doesn't support dual screens but ill buy a video card for it

Make sure the motherboard supports and has the slot for the card you want to get.

Running twin 24's flipped up so I see a lot of the sequence at one time. Did have a 40 inch hooked up but gave it away to a family member that needed a tv.  Wife said I can get another one when I want it.   Upgrade time... LOL

Running twin 24's flipped up so I see a lot of the sequence at one time. Did have a 40 inch hooked up but gave it away to a family member that needed a tv.  Wife said I can get another one when I want it.   Upgrade time... LOL

Did you get that in writing?

Come to think of it I did not.  Just put a 55 in the bedroom for her to watch so I am sure I can have one anytime. Being she does not log on in here I can say I wear the pants and will buy what I want ... LMAO

Three 40" would be MASSIVE.

I have a 40" and a 24". I find I do most of my work on the 40".

I do wish I could get higher than 1920x1080. Or that the font in LOR could get much smaller than their smallest setting.

If we could get the font and lines to be a couple MM in size think how many lines you could get on a portrait 40" screen.

Remember when computers had B&W 13" CRT? And now we complain about 40" HD...

Maybe you should try the Wal-Mart Sanyo 65"?

It is on sale this week. Bigger is better.

Jeff, :)  Lets see, you wear the pants. Yet seems that you are concerned that the wife would see your post. Hmmm what am I missing here. ;)

Edited by Max-Paul

Built a new computer for my show. Solid state drive for quick start up and a 2nd drive to hold all my files. I decided to go with 3 monitors to help in sequencing and playback. I use the left for the visualizer, middle for sequencing, and the right for videos which is also connected to a projector. So far it's been working great. Anybody doing something similar or have a better setup? I like to see what you guys are using to make sequencing faster and easier.

Make sure to move the windows Swap file off to your other hard drive. The swap file is a major cause of SSD burnout.

Make sure to move the windows Swap file off to your other hard drive. The swap file is a major cause of SSD burnout.

Thanks for that info.

When my wife complains about me getting a 2 monitor setup i'm going to show her your 3 monitor setup and complain how i'm falling behind in technology!

When my neighbors business finally decided to upgrade their computers (they came with Win 98!) I had a dickens of a time talking them into spending an extra $150 on each computer for dual monitor set ups.  

After about a week, the office workers couldn't live without them.