Light-O-Rama Forums

For you Bacon Lovers

caniac

I know there has been a trend away from them.... 

Jim

I have a sister-in-law that will have a bad migraine from one piece of nitrate cured bacon.  That was more than enough for me to switch.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caniac

• rainyoregonchristmas

• scubado

• orchidman

I have a sister-in-law that will have a bad migraine from one piece of nitrate cured bacon.  That was more than enough for me to switch.

Most definately.  I've known people who do.  Never a fun time.

Though doing a bit more research (got me thinking) Cure #1 doesn't contain nitrates - salt and sodium nitrite (6.25%).  That being said her migraine can still be caused by the nitrite. 

Try - http://letsmakesomethingawesome.com/2011/03/home-cured-bacon-without-nitrates/  and  http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/learn-to-make-bacon-zb0z1209zmat.aspx#axzz38rMg3mAl

Biggest warning I've ran across is to make sure that when curing it that you need to make sure the smoker is above 150F to prevent the eviorment that botulism will grow in.  Also the bacon needs to be fully cooked before serving.  That normally means 180F but these are standard rules for most cooking of pork.  I normally do smoke mine at a higher temp as I smoke mine to 152F as I like the flavor better. 

Jim

BACON!!!!!!!!!!!!!    ever here about man candy ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? 

ingredients 

1 lb thick-cut,high quality bacon

1 cup brown sugar

2 tsp chili powder

1/2-3/4 tsp cayenne 

1 3/4 tsp smoked paprika

Instructions

1. pPreheat oven to 400F

2. Combine brown sugar, chili powder,cayenne and 1 tsp smoked paprika

3. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil 

4. Place a wire cooling rack on top

5. Spray the rack with cooking spray

6. Place the pieces of bacon on the top of the rack trying not to overlap 

7. Sprinkle with 3/4 smoked paprika 

8. Place in oven and cook for 10 minutes

9. Remove from oven, Sprinkle the bacon liberally with the sugar spice mixture trying to evenly coat the top

10. Return to oven and cook for 10 minutes

11. Remove from the oven and flip the bacon

12. Sprinkle liberally with the sugar spice mixture, evenly coating

13. Return to the oven and cook for 10 minutes 

14. If the bacon is not crispy enough, (remember it crisps when it cools) flip the bacon over, sprinkle again with any remaining sugar spice mixture and bake for a few more minutes

15. Remove from the oven, allow to cool 1 minute on the rack and then using cooking tongs, remove the bacon from the rack and then plate

**NOTE** : To help simplify clean up, as these are cooling, fill you sink up with hot soapy water. Remove the bacon from the racks and immediately and put your cooking racks in the water. Let soak for 5- 10 minutes and clean up is a breeze!! 

**NOTE** : Make sure your cooling racks can be submerged in the water first !

ENJOY, Bill Krueger AKA "REDNOSETBIRD" I am on a different computer me and my daughter use the t bird account.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

MmmmmmmMmm... Oh how I've missed talking about bacon.....

MmmmmmmMmm... Oh how I've missed talking about bacon.....

Wife got in on a group buy from them for bacon. The friend who "just wanted to split a case" ended up buying 140 lbs to meet all the requests.

SwineTrophy_zpsc56lpfvf.png

for you NHL fans.

swineapple_zpsfeyzylki.jpg

Nothing says "I'm keeping it healthy" quiet like SwineApple!!

BaconBeer_zps3bpfrj0o.jpg

and wash it all down with Bacon Beer!!

Bacon - it's God's meat!!

Where is this place??? Please please please please please please..be local. I am soooo drooling. I am always telling my family that bacon makes EVERYTHING taste better. Lol

• The topic was locked