Light-O-Rama Forums

For you Bacon Lovers

caniac

We need to rally the Gang of Pirate Christmas Elf Ninja's to pillage some bacon booty.... Argh!!! Hoist the Main Sail Mega Tree, and Point that Marty tree to Oklahoma City.....

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caniac

• rainyoregonchristmas

• scubado

• orchidman

The hardest part of all of this was finding where to buy the pork bellies.  They can be found in the larger Asian markets. And then finding one that you trust for freshness and cleanliness.

If anyone would like my process, which anyone with a smoker can do, I would be happy to discuss it - off line - 

Nitrate free  :)

We need to rally the Gang of Pirate Christmas Elf Ninja's to pillage some bacon booty.... Argh!!! Hoist the Main Sail Mega Tree, and Point that Marty tree to Oklahoma City.....

Ditto, an animal house type road trip is in order.

We need an appropriate vehicle to drive. 

Let's cut up Grannie's ole ride and make a Deathmobile!

(Hummm.... I like where this is all going.  I've got an old smoker and am always looking for a project.)

• 2 months later...

ok, this one is for you guys keeping it healthy!

CB730045-75D9-4C3A-B990-865F425BE0BC_zps

I tried this tonight at a cookout at my neighbors, everyone loved it!  My friend did a good job on the steaks too!

For model train ethusiasts, there is a company {although need to remember their name and see if they still do it} that makes smoke scents for locomotives and smoking accessories like restaurant buildings, bakeries, etc.  And one of their smoke fluids smells just like bacon cooking when used in a smoke unit in a loco or building, but they have other food and candy flavor scented smoke fluids too.   Gad, just wish I could remember their name and website.   If I come across I'll post the link unless there's other model train hobbyists here that know the compnayand are familiar and beat me to posting the link.

Just know this smoke fluid for models is the best there is out there!

Okay found the link and site:   JT's Mega-Steam Smoke Fluids located here: http://www.megasteam.com//

Just check out all the scents this guy has created!  Yep, "Frying Bacon" is still on the list along with things like: Apple Harvest, Baking Bread, Hot Chocolate, Pumpkin Pie, Gingerbread just to name a select few.   And I've use them, they smell great {and can make you hungry too!}  :lol:

How about some homemade stuff?

Jim

Jim,

Does the Insta Cure #1 add Nitrates?  All of the ones I have found are adding Nitrates.  I make my own so I can avoid the Nitrates.

Great smoker setup.  :)

Jim,

Does the Insta Cure #1 add Nitrates?  All of the ones I have found are adding Nitrates.  I make my own so I can avoid the Nitrates.

Great smoker setup.  :)

Yes it does.  Got to remember that Nitrates do serve a important function in smoking.  The atmosphere of a smoker is a perfect environment for botulism.  Nitrates prevent this but as you know can be toxic.  That's the important part of making sure you so the recipes right.  As the bacon is smoke the Nitrates are controverted by the heat.  You have to use the right amount for the weight, definitely not a place for guessing or using the "more is better" method. 

I know there has been a trend away from them by using things such as celery powder but that is just a naturally occurring Nitrate.  I would say no different but since you can't determine what the percentage of Nitrate is to me it is a gamble.  Too little and you can get botulism.  Too much and you introduce raw Nitrates into your system.  If you get a batch that has been processed enough to have a known amount it's been processed as much as Insta Cure and you might as well use that.

Now you can smoke and dehydrate without cures but like I said you run a risk.  I know a guy at work who has never cured his meat and has never gotten sick.  I'd rather not take the chance and also since I share with other people I'd rather not put them at risk.  It doesn't take much botulism to kill a healthy person and even if you do survive it's not the most pleasant experience. 

With that let me say that no one gets out of life alive and living is the leading cause of death.  No one does everything perfectly and even if you do you will still die so enjoy life.

Would love instructions for the homemade stuff!

I will have to look up some other recipes as the site I normally use is down due to their bandwidth for the month has been used up.  Normally I would wait but I have 10lbs of pork belly in the fridge ready to be processed and really would rather it not go to waste :D

Jim