Light-O-Rama Forums

Second Controller Not Recognized by Software

ccconklin

I purchased and trying to set up a 32 channel systems with 2 controllers.  I have upgraded to the latest LOR software version (as of Nov 2013).  During set up in the Hardware Utility, I can get the first controller to ID (and a steady light in the controller) however will not recognize the second controller (controller light blinks).  I have tried different CAT 5 cables, different plugs (in the controllers), different Comm Ports (1-4), rebooting and still only shows 1 Controller Found.  I have tried to connect the second controller directly and it comes back unrecognized.  Now however, neither of the controllers are recognized.  The controller light for both now will only blink no matter what I try.

I will note that I purchased this kit in 2011 but this is the first year we have attempted to use it (thus the reason for upgrading the software as the version purchased with the kit was out of date and would not register) 

Plug in just one controller. Verify its there. Then disconnect that controller and plug in the second one and once again, verify its there. If both appear individually, are they both set to address 01? If so, plug in just the one controller you wish to change and use the address change tool in the HWU. Then connect both controllers and refresh.

If the HWU is not recognizing any of your controllers now, try and do a reset of each controller.

After that, install only one controller, does the HWU find it? 

If so, note its ID # and write it down.

Now disconnect, install second controller, again, and ONLY the 2nd controller, does it find it?

If so, note its ID # and write it down.

Now are BOTH controllers showing the same ID #?

If so, on the 2nd controller that is still connected, use the HWU and change that controller to #02. refresh, controller found as #02? 

Now connect your 1st controller to the 2nd controller, refresh the HWU again, you should now see BOTH Controller #01 and Controller #02 in the HWU.

If you still don't check your cat5 cables, they may be bad, if good, check the cat4 jacks on the controller boards, are they loose? 

If so, may require the PCB be taken out and jacks resoldered down to board or replaced if broken.

If not that, check the wiring inside the cat5 jacks, are any wires bent out of place or touching each other?

If so, take a very small tool, like a jewelers screwdriver and seperate the wires that are touching or bend back into place, do this very carefully as you don't want to "break" any of the contact wires in the cat5 jack.   If there are any wires broken or missing, this will require a new cat5 jack be installed onto the PCB.    If you can solder, you can do it yourself, if not, it would need to go back to LOR for repair, unless you know someone locally that could do the repair for you.

If none of these work or are the issue, then you may need to open a help desk ticket with LOR and send the unit{s} back to them for repair.

cat4 should have been cat5 in my reply above.