Light-O-Rama Forums

Great Christmas Light Fight

Brian Mitchell

thats brilliant also... if you remember there was a show on non-pro DIY people that basically had to do everything on a level field and it went from there. i personally would love a chance at that... i mean imagine the stress/pressure/sheer exhilaration that would come from that format. ...

i'm going to link this forum to my email to the producers in the off chance they actually want the show to mean more to the people who partake...

dont get me wrong, it was the most fun i've had in a long time, but i'm just a sore loser : )

-chris 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scubado

• smallcrpt

• Don

• Brian Mitchell

I thought it was a fun show, great job to all those in the program. I really enjoyed everyone's stories, the different backgrounds and how everyone enjoys Christmas and decorating. Personally I don't look too far into the judges and stuff, I just enjoyed seeing people decorating and spreading some Christmas cheer. Nice work!

Ive enjoyed watching the shows just to see what everyone else is doing. But I did not think it was fair to have static displays going against animated ones, but it was still fun.

Kudos to all the display entrants.  To get the display up and running in the time constraints is mind boggling.  The wifey and I watched them with awe and “man I gotta do that!”

Being part of the show was  a blast !                                         Plauche Family, Pass Christian, MS

We had a crew come film us for 2.5 days and nights in early OCT, Then we had 21 days to try and set everything up and have it ready for judging. (21 days OMG!) Of course my old pc that ran the shows had 100% failure to add to the stress. My back ups were 4 months old, so all day and evenings setting up lights and all nights till early am, reprograming channels and sequences. The Stress levels were off the chart.

When the production crew came back I was brain dead, and the show was just over 85% complete. But the show must go on. I really wish they spent more time on the songs we have in the show, as I do not use all my channels and effects on any one song, so there is no way anyone could get the full effects of what we do, the footage shown on TV was not near the best parts of my show. We were Happy that they did show out Giant Talking Santa on the Roof, He does all the announcements and sings a couple of the tunes, Almost 5 days of footage turned into 8 mins of TV .  I think our light display looked ok for the competition but a little sloppy in a few areas. The family had a lots of fun during the filming, But when the judgment night came around my 4 yo daughter was wiped out and didn't want anything more to do with the filming, That a shame she didn't get any stoplight that night.

No mention of our Make a wish foundation or food pantry collections, but those were not set up yet.

I forgot to turn on my Santa in the window during all the running around that night and didn't notice it until everyone one was gone.

There is a price to pay for having all your lights up so early,(oct 31st) Two seasons of exposer to the elements has taking it's toll on my decorations.  I am losing strands and bulbs and I know this will raise cost for next years display. I will look for every sale in the area starting now!

We were in the 3rd episode and we did have a great time, Santa arriving on the Mardi Gras Float was cool. I think our family had the most fun on the show, Except we didn't get the win, that would have made the back pain go away.

I have to mention without Light o Rama and their support team we would have not made it. Thanks. Do I think we should have won ? Heck yes. but we didn't

Congrats to Brian Larsen and his family for the win.

I know I wouldn't want to judge the contestants, I think they are all winners.  I do agree with the OP about enhancements to the show.

How were the contestants selected? Was there an application process or were they displays found through word of mouth. I wonder if the last display they show next week will be the winner as well?  Congrats to all who participated! Your displays are all amazing! I can't wait to watch the next one!

I believe it was announced on this forum and other places.

Same for the ABC network version: http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/24771-abc-show-casting-call-lights-camera-christmas/

Watched it tonight for the first time (last time I was chain sawing one of my live oak trees salvaging about a thousand lights and strobes).  It was really cool seeing all the lights across the US and so many LOR customers.  I definitely gained some ideas how to mount controllers.  Great job everyone!

Watched the 2hr special last night. All the displays were awesome and the scale of some were just so much larger than I expected. Hopefully Canada's networks catch wind of this and give us guys up north a chance to compete as well. Due to a much smaller production budget we'd probably be competing for a $500 canadian tire gift card and a 2x4 wrapped in mini lights with " the great canadian light show " written on it in black sharpie but who cares, I'd still wanna win it!

• The topic was locked