Light-O-Rama Forums

Great Christmas Light Fight

Brian Mitchell

I enjoyed what I saw last night in both of the episodes that aired. I liked the one huge home that was done and the multitude of curtain strobes all over. He said they were the LED strobes too. I have some but didn't like them because on one circuit, they all flashed together and slowly differentiated. It wasn't the effect that I wanted. I'm guessing he had them all on different circuits and slightly offset to account for this. Anyway, both homes that won, did very nice displays and my congrats to them both!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scubado

• smallcrpt

• Don

• Brian Mitchell

Congrats goes out to both winners as well.  Though Brian in Elburn IL looks like he had more than "family" help, IDK, just my opionion.   Also, was it me or does it look like he spent $100K to win $50K?

I guess I am just jealous, anyways, congrats folks!!

yea...the house in Illonois was a little over the top, and yes I think that, or I figured it out that he sepns around 25k to get that affect.....not to bad to double and pay for your investment, as long as he puts it up next year, or was it a one hit wonder?.....just my opinion!....I really liked the display in Texas the best, I think they used their thinking caps to set up their display...pretty,not over done....congrates....mike

yea...the house in Illonois was a little over the top, and yes I think that, or I figured it out that he sepns around 25k to get that affect.....not to bad to double and pay for your investment, as long as he puts it up next year, or was it a one hit wonder?.....just my opinion!....I really liked the display in Texas the best, I think they used their thinking caps to set up their display...pretty,not over done....congrates....mike

Brian has been running since at least 2009, probably a few years before that. I don't think he's a one hit wonder. He's built the display up over the years, not as if he went out and bought everything this year.

Maybe it's just me, but I honestly haven't been happy with the winner in either of the 3 episodes. I give everyone credit, they were all nice and had a ton of work into them. But idk they just didn't wow me. Brian's display maybe it's just what they showed on tv, I haven't seen any videos of his display in the past.... We'll see what next weeks episodes bring

Don't know if everyone recognized the Color Kinetics Color Blast Powercore fixture during the Larsen interview.  You'd no doubt need something like that for color wash on a building that size.  I believe I paid $1K for the same fixture once for a commercial stage installation.  That's a step up from my 12 Seasonal Entertainment Rainbow Flood Extremes on my much smaller scale home.

Congrats to all winners.  Can't wait to see next week.

Maybe it's just me, but I honestly haven't been happy with the winner in either of the 3 episodes. I give everyone credit, they were all nice and had a ton of work into them. But idk they just didn't wow me. Brian's display maybe it's just what they showed on tv, I haven't seen any videos of his display in the past.... We'll see what next weeks episodes bring

I have enjoyed watching Larsen Lights over the past few years. His version of Pour Elise inspired me to sequence that song last year in a similar style (though obviously on a much smaller scale).  I probably enjoy his version from a couple years ago better since it isn't quite as "over the top" (though still pretty over the top!), though impressive regardless. 

Brian is a "member" here but hasn't been active here for many years:

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/user/2865-brianlarsen/

You can see some of his videos here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/larsenlights

He has been discussed here before:

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/12611-larsens-christmas-light-show/

He has access to plenty of equipment and probably helpers with his landscaping company he owns (and runs out of the back of his home):

http://www.countywidelandscaping.com/

So definitely not a "one hit wonder".

This week's shows were much better than last week's.  I suspect that their editing isn't fair to some of the displays.

i was on in the episode before larsen, we didn't win, but it was so much fun... i'm putting together a list of changes for next years show, i've gotten the producers and the ABC / freemantle people who make the decisions emails from our producers... 

I'm going to compile an organized list from here, DIYC, and lightorama forums, so i can contact as many people who were on the show...

1. Similar displays in same episode, ie: static, static walkthrough, animated budget, animated high budget, hybrid- walkthrough/lightshow

2. Similar budgets for each family/episode... 

3. better background checks, i know the larson family is claiming its just him and a few friends, but he is a know professional decorator - also the guy from the first episode who won, won a show on TLC last year for 10000. i mean spread the wealth :) 

4. Equal billing for peoples charities, I know our family's charity had a huge part of the show, our entire crowd was carrying signs, but they glazed over it. I mean this paints people as moneygrabbing christmas crazies, but little do they know how much we give back

5. Three families per episode, all that filming of our family, three days narrowed down to two minutes is a bitter pill to swallow. Especially since i pleaded for ABC to release some extra footage for us, but they laughed. :) no big deal

6. An award for just participating, i mean that end reward was amazing, but all of us deserve something for getting on the show, something we could at least proudly put up in our display... it's also free advertising for them for next year

7. The judging needs more consistency or at least more than one judge, who knows how much their past history effects their choice

8. Videos for the judge to see of our history of not only our display but of our family... its so crazy the night of the reveal, especially in my case, with my GFI tripping, that we never really got a true feeling our all my hard work...

I'm just throwing this out there for all of us who were in the show and then to see what other members think....

-Chris Small

I'll have to disagree with you in part... ABC, sure they're making millions, but the traffic to my little display has increase dramatically, the donations to my charity, Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, have already doubled my last years total and thats all because of the show and the publicity surrounding it.

There's always going to be greed on the big company side, but its not all bad on our end. I've become a little bit of a local celebrity in my little town, everyone was so proud how it was portrayed and how we came across as all around solid "normal" humans. It also puts a face with displays, you can't believe how many people tell me " ooh thats your house- i always imagined some crazy living there" this show just helps put a little back story of who we are and why we do it.

I do agree with you Drew that it is "reality" but nothing they asked of us was fake, there was some "acting" involved but they didn't use any of that because none of us are even remotely capable of acting, so it probably looked silly. I, for one, thought it was a great show, but could use some direction from people who are actually behind the display- and if they listen, then the show will be excellent, if not, the normal viewer won't notice/care either way, as long as they are entertained.

sorry for the rant, i just don't want people thinking that this show was a farce, at least in our episode, it was fairly even displays, but just different types, which we all want that format changed.

BTW did you like my display? our episode gets no "chatter" because the Larsen epi sode was so polarizing, but I would love to hear what people thought of my budget-conscious display.

-chris 

Chris we loved your display and if there wasn't only 1 weekend till Christmas we would make the trip down to see it. She was pretty disappointed that it was an hour and half. We thought it was great, the DIY stuff Is what mine is made of as well

We had a good time, spreading the Christmas cheer.  It's all about Jesus!

The Baughmans

Not surprisingly, Michael (judge) didn't quite know how to handle your great message. 

Not surprisingly, Michael (judge) didn't quite know how to handle your great message. 

Well, he was touched, you could see that on the show, that was authentic, so I think it will have a positive effect in his life somewhere down the line.

I think your show was extremely well done. The message was there clearly. The lights and displays were very nice. Its a shame the show doesn't allow for you, us or anyone, more time to display more songs and so on. Yes, they have a time-schedule and so on but there's so much more in all of our displays to see, hear and experience.

It was very obvious but the important part was the message was sent.

Chris-   It's awesome that you made it on the show.  I enjoy visiting your display every year.  I have not been there yet this year, but I will - perhaps this coming weekend.  I heard they made your street one way!!!  LOL  

I changed a few things around in my display for this year and added a few new items - not sure if you have stopped by yet to see it.

Take care - Merry Christmas!

Walt

yeah the police and highway department called me in and we had a discussion. it's worked out sooo great, people really enjoy it, no one with headlights in your eyes, no one cutting in line, no one on facing the other way...

really has worked out for the better

i haven't been by yet, we haven't left the house, to many crying babies :)

i'm just hoping for future contestants that it's a fairer (light) fight!

-chris

I noticed the lack of equality tooo... I applied last year, made it to the question round.  But then was soundly dropped.  Glad I was.  Seems my display was 83,000 lights short of qualifying. 

I'd love to see a show that was more of a "Gold Rush or American Chopper" style.  Forget the contest, show us the grit.  Show us the welding, show us the extension cord making, the blistered fingers, the falls, trips, busted light bulbs,the Cat 5 jacks being ripped from boards because of trips and slips.  Show us the REAL cost of this hobby.  Now THAT I would watch.  This format is NOT a contest.  It's a wow, give them money. 

Now a contest is one like survivor where there are challenges, build us an arch from this pile of parts.  Create and execute a singing face (in 4 hours including sequencing) I mean have something more challenge like.  Ya know, here's a $20,000 budget and 50 cases of lights.  You have one week make a show out of it!  THAT would be a "Light Fight."  It would level the playing field, and show who the true decorating geniuses really are.

Any TV producers out there?  That idea would definitely trump the "Light Fight" format.  I'd apply for that.  As of now I will not be applying for "Light Fight" as the format sits.  Just not my cup of tea.

-Matt