Light-O-Rama Forums

Control Lights not staying checked... What am I missing?

bullets

Control  Lights not staying checked... What am I missing?  Something stupid I hope!

I'm 8 years into LOR and although I check these forums daily, I often stay quiet on the sidelines and don't get involved,   but please, I really need your HELP! 

For years I've been running my show with a computer with XP on it, with no problems.  Just recently I updated to a new computer with Windows 7 and my troubles started. 

Here is my test setup... Using LOR 3.10.12 Advanced

- LOR USB-RS485 connected to USB port on CPU (FTDI Drivers  2.8.14.0 installed) Device Manager finds USB Serial Port on COM3.

- One of my nine LOR1602 controllers connected to USB-RS485 with cat5 cable, and controller powered on with lights attached.

- Run LOR Hardware Software and under "Setup COM Port" and I click "Auto Configure".  It finds the LOR1602 on COM 3.

- Run LOR Network Preferences Software and my "Regular" network is set for "COM 3" and DMX Unv 5 has an "IP Address" of 239.255.0.5 and "Protocol" E1.31 - [Multi-Cast] - Port 5568. (I am using E682 Boards)

- Open LOR Sequencer Editor and assign channels 1 of 16 to the LOR1602 Controller and build a test sequence.  Click "Play" in menu and then click "Control Lights".  The box in the lower right Sequencer Editor window is "blue" and the lights attach to the controller turn on and off to the test sequence.

Now, in order for me to test my pixels in DMX Universe I have to run LOR Control Panel and get LOR Listener to run. 

THIS IS WHERE I RUN INTO PROBLEMS.

With the LOR Control Panel Running (Blue Light Bulb in the lower right corner) and the LOR Listener window up the "Control Lights" does not stay checked and the box in the lower right Sequencer Editor window is now "red".  Lights don't work... either through the LOR Controller or the Pixels.  Guys, what am I doing wrong???? Hopefully something simple and stupid!!!!

We are setting up in 2 weeks for Christmas and if I can't figure this out there will be no show this year.  I did contact LOR Help Desk and although they did answer one part of my question they have not responded since 10-22-13.

Below is a link to the screen shots of my setup.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14748767/Screen_Shots.pdf

Thanks in advance and I truly hope someone comes to my rescue.

Paul

Sorry didnt even read your post. But quick question may lead to quick answer. Do you have the RS-485 drivers loaded, and the dongle plugged into the USB port.

Hey Max-Paul,

Thanks for getting back to me, but yes the latest drivers from LOR web site are loaded and dongle plugged into the USB Port.  The USB Serial Port is found on COM 3 under Device Manager.

I had a somewhat similar problem.

Try this just to see if it helps.

In the SE, go under tools/preferences/network preferences and try changing the speed.  You will need to relaunch the SE after changing it.  See if you get any different results.

I had a somewhat similar problem.

Try this just to see if it helps.

In the SE, go under tools/preferences/network preferences and try changing the speed.  You will need to relaunch the SE after changing it.  See if you get any different results.

Brian,

Thank you for your response... I tried it, but it didn't work.  Thanks anyway...

Paul... Still hoping that this can be corrected!

OK, this is what happens for me.  Hopefully it is similar for you.

I have blue in the right corner, I click Control lights and start the sequence.  Nothing happens.  I look and control lights is now off.  I click it back on but when I start the sequence it goes off again.

It is frustrating.  But for me the fix was easy:

I unplug the DMX dongle.  I unload Light O Rama...Basically shut down the LOR control panel.  Plug the DMX dongle back in.  Start Control Panel and it all works proper.

When I have a control light problem I have noticed that if I shut down control panel without unpluging the DMX dongle and try to restart control panel that the listener port will not start up.  I see it trying to start on the program bar on the bottom of windows.  This was my clue that the port was not working.  Unplugging the DMX dongle allowed it to work proper.

Now, I just unplug, unload,plug and restart the control panel whenever I get this issue.

I dont know what you are using for your DMX bridge, but for me it is the Holiday Coro Dongle. 

This happens to me on the xp computer....and the Windows 7 computer. 

Hopefully this is how you can correct your issue.

Sax

If you have a schedule running the bulb will be blue and control lights will be unchecked. Disable show check control lights when the bulb is RED and play the sequence. LOL .. Just happened to me a week ago and this was my problem.

Jeff

^^^^this solved a similar problem with me. You cannot have both the sequence editor and and the show scheduler trying to control the lights

Just got home and after reading the new posts I jumped on my show computer to try what everyone recommended. 

OMG, YES, YES, YES!!!!! It works and yes, it was something stupid that I was overlooking, but I couldn't have done it without everyone's help.

Show was enabled!

My "Control Lights" button now stays checked and all of my lights work.

Thanks to "Max-Paul", "Brian Mitchell" and "sax" who took the time and responded, giving me insight on how to fix the problem. 

Special thanks to "Jeff Messer" and "Crazydave" you hit the nail on the head! That was exactly what I was doing wrong.

Paul

Welcome Sir... Glad it worked out for you quickly. It did kick my rear-end last week to !!!

Jeff