Light-O-Rama Forums

Need help deciding what I need for lasers!

zyutzey

Hey guys,

I have done LOR for the past couple years. (Just a xmas display 16 channels)

I think the software I was running was s1 or s2

I am going to do a display for the front facade of our haunted house this year. The Factory of Terror in Canton, Ohio. Im planning on getting the new software. I would like to connect one maybe two dmx lasers to the LOR display. Maybe even a fogger. The laser that I am interested in is the adj royal green.

http://www.amazon.com/American-Royal-Green-Laser-Light/dp/B005F673L8/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1360194404&sr=1-1&keywords=American+DJ+Royal+Sky

My question is what is the easiest and cheapest way to get this connected? I have done some research and alot of it is about rgb lights and pixels, which im not interested in. Do I need to buy the adapter and a seperate controller? What all can you do with a laser like this connected to LOR? Can you do more than make it strobe, turn on or off?

The cheaper easier plan is to use a few of these cheapo "laser shows" like this one.

http://www.amazon.com/OEM-Red-Green-Moving-Party-Projector/dp/B005LATR0I/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1360196731&sr=1-1&keywords=laser+show

Can you plug these directly into a LOR channel and do all the effects such as strobe, or will it fry the internals? Also im not sure if the startup time on these are quick enough. 

I'll go ahead and jump in here with a tentative yes you can. However I think there are some functions in what you are wanting to do that still need to be addressed.

First let me direct you to FastEddy's powerpoint on running LOR in DMX. This can be found at http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,1139.0.html

If you are not already a member on that board, you will need to register to get the presentation.

You will need LOR S3 Advanced to run DMX.

Since I dont have the DMX map for the lasers you are looking at I cant tell you precisely, but since one of the operating modes IS DMX, I would say that all functions should be available via DMX commands from LOR.

If your just looking for LOR to run ONLY DMX props, you could utilize an E1.31 bridge to control DMX via LOR through your Ethernet port.

There is still debate about if you need to have the LOR dongle attached. Since I run both a LOR and an E1.31 network (Pixel and Bridge) I cant say for certain. You do have the the LOR control panel open to start the DMX listener and that may be the key in that the Control Panel wont open and the listener wont start without the dongle. I still have the old serial dongle and a Serial to USB adaptor on my system and it works fine ...

Check FastEddy's presentation first. I think you will find all you need there...

Bob

I have several lasers; some run with DMX, some are just "free-running".

They can cost quite a bit, but for an indoor haunted house, I use a small Chauvet one that works great.

If it's outdoors, make a small cover for it.

Does not need DMX, software or E1.31. Just play with the IR remote until you find some pattern that you like, point it at the facade and be done with it.

Retail price $99, and can be found on sale for $85 at various places.

Keep it simple.

And cheap.

But, first and foremost, you are near an airport, be very careful of using lasers, they create a real danger outdoors to aircraft and could lead you to a jail term if misused. I live outside Orlando and you would be surprised how many idiot's actually think it's fun to shine a laser at an aircraft. Not cool, very not cool.

There is still debate about if you need to have the LOR dongle attached. Since I run both a LOR and an E1.31 network (Pixel and Bridge) I cant say for certain. You do have the the LOR control panel open to start the DMX listener and that may be the key in that the Control Panel wont open and the listener wont start without the dongle. I still have the old serial dongle and a Serial to USB adaptor on my system and it works fine ...

Sorry, looks like I 'm having problems with 'quote'.

With this post I'm pretty sure we worked out all the issues with needing the dongle to run E1.31 exclusively.  Are there other issues?

But, first and foremost, you are near an airport, be very careful of using lasers, they create a real danger outdoors to aircraft and could lead you to a jail term if misused. I live outside Orlando and you would be surprised how many idiot's actually think it's fun to shine a laser at an aircraft. Not cool, very not cool.

Very true... in this area if the pilot informs air traffic controllers of the laser, a police helicopter will show up at your house.  

Mike, So is that a yes you have to have the dongle or no you don't? Bob

That's a "No you don't" (Initial setup for E1.31 if you do NOT have an LOR RS485 USB adapter).  

If you have one on hand, the initial install is easier -- all you have to do is connect it once and it completes the install of that DLL automagically.

If you don't have one, you can follow those directions and everything works without ever hooking one up.

The problem is that Windows will report that the install of the driver is complete when it really isn't.  All it did was move that particular DLL to a 'staging area', where it can find it.  The first time you hook up a USBRS485, only then does it copy that DLL into the correct position.  By manually putting a copy into the correct spot, Windows can find it (which allows S3 to find it).

Is there something else that is preventing E1.31 from working?

• The topic was locked