Light-O-Rama Forums

So NOT Chrstmas!

bobschm

If I were into pixel type lighting like CCR's or CCB's that could be set to any color throughout the year that I could leave up year round, then there could be a different show every night of the year 365 or 366 in leap years. :P

As there is more than enough music and different styles/genres to go on for almost infinity.

One day when I actually do, if I do, get into the pixels, ccr's, ccb's or what have you, I might actually consider doing a year round show likie that, because then I could just use a specific color or colors each night,  And then just change it for whatever Holiday or event to match.

Just my opinion.

However I also very much, and do agree, every display creator should have the right to sequence whatever music they, or what their guests/neighbors may ask for or request.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caniac

• George Simmons

• SteveMaris

• Orville

One thing I have done over the past two years is to switch songs after Dec. 25th - this allows to keep it "Christmas" themed prior and more on the "party" side after christmas... Also gives repeat visitors something new to see after the holidays and I can do the flashy lights :-)

I do the same thing.but forgot to mention it in my previous post

Your show, your music.

However if you have a house on Christmas street, you should be run over by a reindeer. 

However if you have a house on Christmas street, you should be run over by a reindeer. 

Amen to that, bro...

Edited by George Simmons

I like the idea from viennaxmas. I may do that next year. All Christmas to the holiday then New Years party!! With any music fair game. Nice.

Kids LOVED Gangnam style in my display. I also had "Call me maybe" and they requested it ALL THE TIME!

And Christmas is all about kids right?

As adults it is our job to teach kids.  My son used to love Gangham Style until I showed him the anti american song that PSY wrote.  Translated it says this.

Kill those — Yankees who have been torturing Iraqi captives

Kill those — Yankees who ordered them to torture

Kill their daughters, mothers, daughters-in-law, and fathers

Kill them all slowly and painfully

We should not be supporting this guy.  Only reason he apologized  for this was because financially he had too.

As adults it is our job to teach kids.  My son used to love Gangham Style until I showed him the anti american song that PSY wrote.  Translated it says this.

We should not be supporting this guy.  Only reason he apologized  for this was because financially he had too.

Thanks for the parenting lesson. I know you had the previous post RE: this song and know your position on that. I respect that this is your view. To be honest I know almost nothing about any of the artists whose songs I play. So I cannot speak to their values or ethics. Its a delicate balance we have....my display is not a political statement. Some others here may view theirs differently.

Thanks for the parenting lesson. I know you had the previous post RE: this song and know your position on that. I respect that this is your view. To be honest I know almost nothing about any of the artists whose songs I play. So I cannot speak to their values or ethics. Its a delicate balance we have....my display is not a political statement. Some others here may view theirs differently.

WOW!!     I didn't know that

Is it just me or do you think there's no place for "Gangam Style" on a Christmas display? A search of youtube comes up with all kinds of non-holiday songs done to the lights. What up wit dat? :huh:  At least some of them have Christmas or winter themed lyrics. But too many are just chosen for the beat so they can show off the flashing lights.

Or am I just getting crotchety in my old age. And get those kids off my lawn.

I feel the same way Bob. My (25 year old) Au Pair was advocating for Party Anthem and/or Gangam Style. But I wouldn't do it. Just not Christmas to me. I also don't like the looks of some of the LED strips and such. I like to see individual bulbs or some prop lit up (perhaps with LED strips).

That being said, to each his own and for two nights this year I did run, a non-Christmas song:

Edited by eurbani

Sorry, I was just having a hard time trying to find a good Festivus song.   :rolleyes:

I agree, where have all the good Festivus songs gone?

so i guess a song that is about trying to make a booty call is not Christmas?  Have none of you nailed Ms Santa Clause?  What is more Christmas than trying to use your yule log!!

Not again!! Don't you know if you play most country songs backwards it says the same thing!!

Your show, your music.

Amen to that, bro...

I happen to enjoy Judy's music and she is also very gracious in actually sending us her music at no charge to use in our displays.  I honestly DO NOT see any other artist doing that unless you rip it yourself from a video file somewhere.   And personally I believe Judy has a fantastic voice, over many of what I hear from a lot of these so-called singers today.

Although not everyone likes every type of music or artist, we are all in this for our and hopefully others that visits enjoyment and should use whom or whatever style music or artist we have chosen.  Just my measley opinion.

Your show, your music.

is that while mommy is kissing Santa Clause?

I happen to enjoy Judy's music and she is also very gracious in actually sending us her music at no charge to use in our displays.  I honestly DO NOT see any other artist doing that unless you rip it yourself from a video file somewhere.   And personally I believe Judy has a fantastic voice, over many of what I hear from a lot of these so-called singers today.

Although not everyone likes every type of music or artist, we are all in this for our and hopefully others that visits enjoyment and should use whom or whatever style music or artist we have chosen.  Just my measley opinion.

That's cool Orville.

Like I said, Your show, your music.

I am surprised to hear that she gives that music away. That is very nice of her. I think all artists should just give music away. Why do they need all that money anyway? 

Do you have a video of her song? I would like to see it.

Don't want to hear it, would like to see it. 

Well said.  I am skeptical anytime I see something rush up the charts that no one knows the lyrics to.  Everyone does have the right to their own opinions, and to listen, but don't come crying when the wolf howls at the moon.  Sometimes music isn't important enough to compromise values, and someone who thinks it's no big deal to listen to something and promote it, that is anti-american at heart, can't claim ignorance on the part of apathy.  Americans need to be better than that, at least our men and women who serve take an oath to do just that, and deserve our support in every way we can give it. 

You've got to stand for something, or you'll fall for everything.

I never did understand why some of you choose songs that have absolutely no connection to Christmas for your displays.  The requirement of "they must have a beat" is very true - do a slow song and it drives the viewers away.  But you don't have to have pure Christmas tunes - I personally like to add songs that are non-Christmas but have the lyrics remade to refect the holidays.  Some of them in my show include Mr. Santa (Mr. Sandman), Takin' Care of Christmas (Business), December Twenty-Five (Mambo #5), Decorations (Good Vibrations), and Toy Sack (Love Shack).  They add a non-Christmas melody but yet keep the spirit of the season with the lyrics.  I still have at least 75% of my show play the traditional Christmas songs.  I understand "it's my show and I will do with it as I please", but just think about the viewers that come to see it.  I do it to see the smile on the kids - and by that I mean ones younger than 8 and older than 80.  If the ages between those two like the music too, then I guess I made the right choices.

Now that you mention it, I've never understood what connection lights have to Christmas either.  I mean, didn't the birth of Christ occur something like 19 centuries before electricity was even invented?

Spirit of the season?  Just think about the viewers?  Funny - I just got a note from our city's Mayor three days ago praising the display for "all the joy it adds" and the "morale lift it provides to the entire community" and the "traditions that it has already inspired"...

Bray all you want about the non-Christmas choices in some of the music, but the street full of cars and the brimming food shelf donation box, and the plethora of positive comments we receive annually from actual viewers (as opposed to the narrow-minded view of some in the peanut gallery) tells me that I have indeed "made the right choices".

Now that you mention it, I've never understood what connection lights have to Christmas either.  I mean, didn't the birth of Christ occur something like 19 centuries before electricity was even invented?

Spirit of the season?  Just think about the viewers?  Funny - I just got a note from our city's Mayor three days ago praising the display for "all the joy it adds" and the "morale lift it provides to the entire community" and the "traditions that it has already inspired"...

Bray all you want about the non-Christmas choices in some of the music, but the street full of cars and the brimming food shelf donation box, and the plethora of positive comments we receive annually from actual viewers (as opposed to the narrow-minded view of some in the peanut gallery) tells me that I have indeed "made the right choices".

what he said!

I don't either.....But God said, " let there be light"..........I'm just followin' orders