Light-O-Rama Forums

So NOT Chrstmas!

bobschm

Is it just me or do you think there's no place for "Gangam Style" on a Christmas display? A search of youtube comes up with all kinds of non-holiday songs done to the lights. What up wit dat? :huh:  At least some of them have Christmas or winter themed lyrics. But too many are just chosen for the beat so they can show off the flashing lights.

Or am I just getting crotchety in my old age. And get those kids off my lawn.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caniac

• George Simmons

• SteveMaris

• Orville

You are getting crotchety....but so am I, because I agree.

I'm planning to do my 1st show this Christmas (though I'm trying for Halloween) and if I wanted to sequence and play Gangnam Style and similar songs, I'd keep the lights up year-round. Everyone's allowed to do what they want with their time and money, that's just how I feel.

Edited by TheJackal

Is it just me or do you think there's no place for "Gangam Style" on a Christmas display? A search of youtube comes up with all kinds of non-holiday songs done to the lights. What up wit dat? :huh:  At least some of them have Christmas or winter themed lyrics. But too many are just chosen for the beat so they can show off the flashing lights.

Or am I just getting crotchety in my old age. And get those kids off my lawn.

You are getting crotchety....but so am I, because I agree.

I'm planning to do my 1st show this Christmas (though I'm trying for Halloween) and if I wanted to sequence and play Gangnam Style and similar songs, I'd keep the lights up year-round. Everyone's allowed to do what they want with their time and money, that's just how I feel.

(LOL) I'm getting old also but I guess not so crotchety........I had 41 songs this year and YES Gangnam Style was on of them, my wife also thought i was nuts (maybe I am) but the kids really loved it.  40 Christmas Songs 1 not so .......not tooo bad.

As for the kids on the front lawn, I was unnerved the first night we turned the display on when I saw 3 kids dancing on the grass and the DUMB PARENTS were at the curb watching them and when I told them to get off cuz they might get hurt and there was a bizillion extention cords they gave me a dirty look and left ...Next year I'm putting up signs that say Danger High Voltage KEEP OFF

Kids LOVED Gangnam style in my display. I also had "Call me maybe" and they requested it ALL THE TIME!

And Christmas is all about kids right?

After 6 years of sequencing, almost 30 hours per song and hearing each song about 300 times I have grown quite tired of most "Christmas Songs."  If I hear Wizards one more time I actually think I might throw up.

That said, I do a mix of Christmas songs and non-traditional songs in my display.  The songs I choose are because I like them.  After all, I do the display for myself.  It just so happens a lot of other people enjoy it also.

Scott

Does that make it wrong to have a song about drinking and drugs too? I did.

Edited by BrownOut

In my opinion your making Christmas lights flash so do whatever song you like. I did a shortened version of Gangdam style and was very popular.

I prefer to have some sort of Chrismas song playing, but im not a big fan of slow traditional christmas songs, I like fast beat music that works with lights and there is no shortage of great up beat christmas songs available. But in the end there are no rules and it goes down to the individuals choice of what music they want.

Well, I have to agree with the OP.. But, the displays belong to each of us and we can do with that as we see fit.. I only do Christmas songs to stay in tune with Christmas.. Just my personal preference.

BrownOut.. love your CCR tree! 

We usually look for one song that will really appeal to the kids each year.  Party Rock was a really strong hit, but no, GS just was not going to make it into the show.  We brough back Crazy Frog Jingle Bells from the year before instead... 

The songs I choose are because I like them.  After all, I do the display for myself.  It just so happens a lot of other people enjoy it also.

Scott

My sentiments exactly.  (Thanks for saying it more politely than I might have Scott.) 

When the time comes that the street out front ISN'T full almost all night every night, maybe I'll think about making changes.  And if it happens two years in a row I might even think about it longer than two seconds. 

Last time I looked, no one but Sharon and me spent their money buying lights and controllers for our display.  If the OP (or anyone else) wishes to change that, then that might give them a vote in our music selection.  A small vote... in a rigged contest...

the crotchety, old George Simmons once told me:

"I don't do Christmas Songs to lights, but I do songs to Christmas Lights"...

EDIT:  Speak of the Devil!!!  LOL (see above)

Edited by jimswinder

One thing I have done over the past two years is to switch songs after Dec. 25th - this allows to keep it "Christmas" themed prior and more on the "party" side after christmas... Also gives repeat visitors something new to see after the holidays and I can do the flashy lights :-)

I used Gangnum Style and it was a hit this year.  I also caught a lot of crap from people who wanted to scream at me and my poor morals due to the artists negative background again US military member (which I currently serve - going to pre-deployment medical screening tomorrow).  In the end, I played it because so many people like the song.  I also did 'Call Me Maybe' and that was a huge success. 

One thing I have done over the past two years is to switch songs after Dec. 25th - this allows to keep it "Christmas" themed prior and more on the "party" side after christmas... Also gives repeat visitors something new to see after the holidays and I can do the flashy lights :-)

I've done this for the past 3 years as well.  Ok, Santa Clause is tired on Dec. 26... so Some of the Christmas music goes away... followed by upbeat pop songs.  It's my display and I'll sequence the songs that I enjoy listening to.  You are more than welcome to your opinion ;) 

I have a hard time mixing my Faith with a Rock Star styled show.  I was a Youth Minister for many years, and just can't seem to put religious elements into my display.  I just don't think it mixes well.  When Christ came, he came quietly in a stable only greeted by common laborers.  There was no fanfare, no parade, no palace.  To put a Creche in the middle of flashy lights just seems to be counter intuitive. 

For that reason when I add a Creche this year, it will be separated from my display by a walkway lit with thousands of white static lights. I will have about 8 arches wrapped in white lights over the sidewalk with red bows at the top.  White symbolizing purity and hope and the red bows symbolizing Christ's blood.  This portion of the display will also require the viewer to exit their vehicle to see and experience it.  Just as an individual must make a choice to seek Christ to start a relationship with him so the viewer too must make the choice to take the path to find the Creche. 

As far as the choice of music in my animated display.  I do what is fun and what I enjoy.  The most requested song in my display was "Me Without You." by Toby Mac.  Fast paced, Rock Star styled show, but not Christmas-y.  A flashy show attracts people and then provides the opportunity to for outreach or a message if you so desire.  However, I do draw the line at anything that has offensive lyrics or foul language, its for kids after all.