Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixels vs LOR

shfr26

I saw both Donny's and Jeff's name put out here a few times. Are they still on this forum?? They are both a wealth of knowledge.

Hope they chime in.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• harrison0550

• jgp01

• WilliamS

• Crazydave

I think Jeff requested that all his content on the LOR forums be removed. Donny is still around though. He did a mini on the sandevices boards earlier in the year. It can be found here.......

http://abcmedia.serveblog.net/engage/ui/index.html

Along with several other informative minis from this year including nutcracker etc.

Guest Don Gillespie

I think Jeff requested that all his content on the LOR forums be removed.

What would have prompted that? I thought Jeff was an old veteran on this forum, why in the world would he do that? did something happen that I don't know about?

What would have prompted that? I thought Jeff was an old veteran on this forum, why in the world would he do that? did something happen that I don't know about?

I noticed that he'd been quiet lately but I thought that was because he was busy with his display or Christmas in general?

There was an explanation link in his signature yesterday but its gone now as well. If I can find it I will shoot it to you. Regardless it is a loss for the community IMO Jeff helped out a lot and I for one enjoyed his feedback but he can still be found around the net if you wanna track him down and ask personally what happened it might be best.

Great thread. Lots of great questions that I think most of us have been wondering. Unfortunately, I can't make the jump yet. Have too much invested in my LED's and I'm cutting myself off for 2013. But I am looking forward to future.

Assuming I had an unlimited budget and didn't want the to do all the work, would the CCP's form LOR be my answer? Don't they come with their own controller? Would there be less of a moisture problem with them then with strips ? Could you get the same effect with them as with pixel strips?

Sorry, I know, a lot of dump questions but I'm trying to wrap my head into this and I'm really confused.

Sorry this post kinda got skipped over but the answer is YES the ccp's provide an all in one solution with no soldering, no 3rd part configuration, and the best warranty/support you will find. They do come with their own controller and power supply already mounted in a waterproof enclosure. There is a thread in the superstar section where someone made a pixel tree out of them and sequenced them with superstar and it is awesome! So the answer is absolutely yes if budget isn't a concern get ccp's and plug them right up to your existing LOR network.

Sorry this post kinda got skipped over but the answer is YES the ccp's provide an all in one solution with no soldering, no 3rd part configuration, and the best warranty/support you will find. They do come with their own controller and power supply already mounted in a waterproof enclosure. There is a thread in the superstar section where someone made a pixel tree out of them and sequenced them with superstar and it is awesome! So the answer is absolutely yes if budget isn't a concern get ccp's and plug them right up to your existing LOR network.

Thank You for your reply.........I'll go and scope out the Superstar section.........and yes you can't beat lor's warranty and support, to me that means alot.

I wondered that same thing. Busy time of year, and I must have missed it also.

So I contacted Jeff and here's what he had to say:

"I left the LOR help forum because I stumbled on a major flaw in the LOR system related to system crashes on Laptops. I was dismissed by a junior member of the staff as having failing computers that need to be reimaged. When I replied that he needed to step aside and allow the adult members of the staff take care of the issues he was ill prepared to recognize or even understand with his limited skills, my posts were removed by an otherwise similarly ill prepared Moderator. The issue is a major flaw in the LOR system that requires competent programmers to research and solve. Laymen acting as some form of road block for their superiors have no place in this business. That he took it upon himself to interfere with my findings and for all intents and purposes block any discussion I cared to post with accusations, ended my involvement with LOR. I no longer support the company in any way. I've begun to sell off all LOR hardware to further distance myself from a company that would openly attack their biggest fans and supporters. Attacking a customer for their posts about an issue that can be reproduced on several machines, and has been duplicated by several other customers... that's a cover up. What it equates to is this: I don't understand the problem, so I'll just push the person reporting it aside. For that behavior, I'll take my business and as many potential new customers as I can dissuade elsewhere."

Speaking for myself, I find it disturbing that he would have been treated like that by ANYONE associated with LOR. Obviously, my understanding of what Beta Testers are supposed to do is incorrect - all this time I thought we were SUPPOSED to identify problems and bugs in the software.

In any event, I, for one, will miss Jeff a great deal. He might not always suffer fools graciously, (and he's not alone there) but there's very few people around here who know more than he does about how to do what we do safely. It's sad that all of us, especially new people, have lost such a valuable resource.

WOW!! If this is the way it went down, then that "junior member of the staff" and the "ill prepared Moderator" need to be spoken to by the company owner. Jeff is a wealth of knowledge and this forum will not be the same without him. Just my opinion.

Maybe Jeff knew more than the ones mentioned above and they did not like that thought.

I wonder if this has made its way up the chain in LOR????

I jumped into LOR with both feet and my wallet two years ago and now looking to expand into a much higher density of lights... I run my show from my laptop and if there is a potential issue with the LOR S3 at the higher pixel count.. perhaps it is time to look around a bit to see what else is available..

I have been happy with LOR hardware to date and the service is great.. however... the software can bugger up the whole mess IF it becomes an issue..

We all know LOR is a very good company, they have proven this time and time again. If they know a problem is out there I am sure they will fix it. Dan has already chimed in about working on a new version of S3 or (S4?) that will handle a much larger channel count. Pixels exploded much quicker than anyone imagined. Like William said a few posts above the first quarter of 2012 will be very interesting in what new info comes in about both pixel hardware and software.

WOW! That is really sad. Jeff helped me out a bunched when I started doing this 2 years ago. He wasn't just a LOR guru, but he was always thinking about safety. Always chiming in on how many ways something could blow up in your face if you did something wrong.

I can relate to him. He's very direct (I am that way as well). That doesn't sit well with the "delicate flowers" of the world.

There it is! LOL I dont like to push anything on anyone thats why my comments above were........

"In my opinion the best controller for the best price hasnt even been mentioned anywhere above."

I just like to say do a Little research and compare for yourself. The winner to me is obvious. More universes for lower price, able to do unicast, easy drop down menu setup ummm WINNING. The P12 is awesome as well. Not my video but if you want to see how the menu and setup look here ya go.

Hey I recognize that voice.. Looks like Zach is still tinkering. He seems to always be on top of the latest boards.

Guest Don Gillespie

I did not know that Jeff had taken a leave of absence, it amazes me that he could be treated badly by any junior LOR staff , I sure hope Dan gets this problem rectified so I can pick Jeff's brain again,

Unfortunately, this world is now filled with WAY TOO MANY of those delicate flowers. I am a hardware IT guy, and wear my emotions on my sleeve, I tell it like it is, and have had several run ins now with management at my primary job. It’s really sad, they tell me I have to change the way I am, because I offend (or may offend) someone when I tell them the truth. (e.g. "they have no clue what in the sam hell they are doing!!"

I tell my wife all the time, "don't be a sheep!, there are way too many sheep in this world already!!" she looks at me like I am nuts...

I will get off my soap box now.

There's a great deal at Ray Wu's for some digital strips but they're 2811's. Does anone know of a cost effective controller for 2811's??

http://www.aliexpres..._568458133.html

This whole tread goes over the controllers for the 2811 strip over 1.31 protocol.

http://www.sandevices.com/E681info.html

and

http://www.j1sys.com/ethcongateway/

This whole tread goes over the controllers for the 2811 strip over 1.31 protocol.

http://www.sandevice...m/E681info.html

and

http://www.j1sys.com/ethcongateway/

Yeah I know.... I was hoping for something like the ECG-P2 at 5 cents a pixel....but it doesn't do 2811.... (that's why I said cost effective....lol)

Edited by jgp01