Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixels vs LOR

shfr26

You will have to upgrade to advanced license... each pixel will add 3 channels So 12 strips of 50 pixels will add 1800 channels. But don't worry there is software as mentioned above and tricks you can do to make it easy

I have the advanced license, but when you say 1800 channels, is that 1800 channels of LOR? If so, that's a whole lot of controllers!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• harrison0550

• jgp01

• WilliamS

• Crazydave

1800 channels in total for mega tree with 12 strands of 50 pixels. Remember each pixel equals 3 dmx channels. As of right now the E682 can handle 1024 pixels. They use to handle 680 pixels hence the names E680 then E681.

Dont let the channel count scare you, this is dmx channeling over many universes.

So for a 16 pixel strand mega tree, how many channels of LOR is needed to control it? Is there a tutorial I can read to help me get a better grasp with this?

Here is the link for the thread with the manual in it.

http://auschristmasl...pic,1889.0.html

While your over there have a look at the different pixel controllers available on the market. In my opinion the best controller for the best price hasnt even been mentioned anywhere above.

Edited by harrison0550

Here is the link for the thread with the manual in it.

http://auschristmasl...pic,1889.0.html

While your over there have a look at the different pixel controllers available on the market. In my opinion the best controller for the best price hasnt even been mentioned anywhere above.

For a megatree, Im going to have to agree. The more I read the more I see which will be best for my megatree.

Not trying to start anything but you realize you can get away with a DIY PC controller all wired up and ready to go for about $150 right? Then add on top of that $3(or $1 if you're lucky) per strand for off the shelf lights for another $55(or $20 if lucky).

Mega-Trees usually don't need extension cords if you mount the controller to the base of the tree so that's not an issue.

By my math you can do a 16 channel, single color tree for $175 to $200(minus the hardware to actually build the tree).

[edit]Didn't see you said LEDs... which I have zero experience with since I'm soooooo cheap... Oh well... at least you know what an incandescent tree would cost to get an idea of how cheaply you can do one. ;)

I did my 16 channel tree with LEDs from Rite Aid's after Christmas sale. 25 C-7. I think that I paid about $5 per set. This year, I bought some LED mini's from big lots. 2 sets of 60 for $6.25 at the sale. So, LED lights for this type of tree are about $50. I don't know where to get a ready-to-go pc controller for $150. If they still have some let me know. I plan to double my channel count next year.

So for a 16 pixel strand mega tree, how many channels of LOR is needed to control it?

LOR controllers don't control pixels.

Pixel controllers control pixels.

1 E682 will controll 1024 pixels using DMX addresses. In LOR that will be programming 3,072 channels if you managed to max it out.

LOR controllers don't control pixels.

Pixel controllers control pixels.

1 E682 will controll 1024 pixels using DMX addresses. In LOR that will be programming 3,072 channels if you managed to max it out.

I was looking at SanDevices Pixel System 1 to use 16 strands of WS2811 pixels to build a mega tree. Do I have to program all of this individually or would a utility such as Nutcracker be easier? I currently have 15 songs programmed using led strings for my mega tree. I really like the effects and seemingly endless possibilities going the smart pixel route but I am concerned about the learning curve to sequencing the pixel strands.

Guest wbottomley

I was looking at SanDevices Pixel System 1 to use 16 strands of WS2811 pixels to build a mega tree. Do I have to program all of this individually or would a utility such as Nutcracker be easier? I currently have 15 songs programmed using led strings for my mega tree. I really like the effects and seemingly endless possibilities going the smart pixel route but I am concerned about the learning curve to sequencing the pixel strands.

You have two options. Dig your heels in and do it or stay with what you have and know.

Assuming I had an unlimited budget and didn't want the to do all the work, would the CCP's form LOR be my answer? Don't they come with their own controller? Would there be less of a moisture problem with them then with strips ? Could you get the same effect with them as with pixel strips?

Sorry, I know, a lot of dump questions but I'm trying to wrap my head into this and I'm really confused.

So for a 16 pixel strand mega tree, how many channels of LOR is needed to control it? Is there a tutorial I can read to help me get a better grasp with this?

Bearing in mind these aren't 'LOR Channels' rather 'E1.31 Channels(As it would not be practical to use regular DMX)' and that a string of pixels usually has 50 pixels on it:

50 x 16 x 3 = 2400 channels

That's 50 pixels x 16 strings x 3 channels per pixel = 2400 channels.

Guest wbottomley

Bearing in mind these aren't 'LOR Channels' rather 'E1.31 Channels(As it would not be practical to use regular DMX)' and that a string of pixels usually has 50 pixels on it:

50 x 16 x 3 = 2400 channels

That's 50 pixels x 16 strings x 3 channels per pixel = 2400 channels.

Uh... yes it is regular DMX channels. E1.31 or the proper name sACN is know as DMX over Ethernet.

Guest Don Gillespie

I was fortunate enough to talk to Donny Carter on the phone yesterday, (absolutely the nicest guy I have ever talked to) he explained to me in detail how this pixel thing works, keep in mind I am an idiot when it comes to computers, but after our conversation I am jumping in with both feet, I will be starting out with a 12 string mega tree right around 14 feet in height, if you want to know anything about pixels he is the go to guy.

OK all this pixel talk is intriguing; I'm going to have to agree with a couple of the comments above. I think the controller with the lowest cost per pixel is J1sys ECG-P2 (http://www.j1sys.com/ecg-p2/) Each string is limited to the contents of up to a 4 universes with each universe limited to 170 pixels. So that's 680 X 2 or 1360 pixels. That's about 5 cents a pixel for control. (Maybe slightly more with shipping, but still pretty darn good)But I'm also with eveyone else on the complexity and magnitude of programming that many channels! I know about Nutcracker, but I don't know specifically how it works....does it ouput a sequence file that is compatible with LOR? And when you get into the 1000's of channel range would you just use multiple tracks to more easily keep track of things?? Some tips and tricks on the software end would be awesome.....

Just a side note: maybe this is cynicism on my part, but I'm noticing some people (and this is in any forum anywhere) tend to push a specific products. Then lo and behold, you look at their profile and their in sales!!!! SometimesIt makes you wonder!!!

There it is! LOL I dont like to push anything on anyone thats why my comments above were........

"In my opinion the best controller for the best price hasnt even been mentioned anywhere above."

I just like to say do a Little research and compare for yourself. The winner to me is obvious. More universes for lower price, able to do unicast, easy drop down menu setup ummm WINNING. The P12 is awesome as well. Not my video but if you want to see how the menu and setup look here ya go.

Guest wbottomley

Don't rule out any hardware vendor until the first quarter of 2013 is in the books. I'm 100% sure there will be lots of addons, simplifications, and much more to even the playing field out.

LOL...Sorry Harrison, I wasn't calling you out specifically (but I did have a feeling...lol)

The whole pixel thing is exploding right now, and I'm sure there will be many more vendors and new hardware in the nwew year!

Just do your research people!!!!

Guest wbottomley

I was fortunate enough to talk to Donny Carter on the phone yesterday, (absolutely the nicest guy I have ever talked to) he explained to me in detail how this pixel thing works, keep in mind I am an idiot when it comes to computers, but after our conversation I am jumping in with both feet, I will be starting out with a 12 string mega tree right around 14 feet in height, if you want to know anything about pixels he is the go to guy.

Donny has been excellent in that department along with Jeff Millard. I can't say enough good things about both.

Oh I dont profit from any of it either way. I just know what you mean by depending on the forum the product that gets pushed is lopsided but that is the nature of the beast. It usually starts with one person who has a good understanding of a product and shares his knowledge in that forum. I think both manufacturers make an amazing product. However for me to consider switching the price would have to drop, unicast firmware update, and easier setup implemented.