• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• harrison0550

• jgp01

• WilliamS

• Crazydave

Yeah I know.... I was hoping for something like the ECG-P2 at 5 cents a pixel....but it doesn't do 2811.... (that's why I said cost effective....lol)

The ECG-p2 does do 2811 pixels. My entire display is 2811 and ECG-p2's. It was an update a month or so ago that added 2811 to the drop down menu in the setup. I left Zach a comment on his video above that he needed to up date that board to add 2811 to the drop down.

Assuming I had an unlimited budget and didn't want the to do all the work, would the CCP's form LOR be my answer? Don't they come with their own controller? Would there be less of a moisture problem with them then with strips ? Could you get the same effect with them as with pixel strips?

Sorry, I know, a lot of dump questions but I'm trying to wrap my head into this and I'm really confused.

I don't want to bash any product...

I use the CCPixels but on a very small scale though. I originally started out my pixel matrix with only CCPixels, I jumped ship to the WS2811 (I liked the brightness of the 2811 over the TS3001 eventhough most people say to use the 3001s for video)

Here is my headache with video documentation.....

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/20956-ccp-santa-house/

All information is good.

Good luck!

Eric

Guest wbottomley

I wondered that same thing. Busy time of year, and I must have missed it also.

So I contacted Jeff and here's what he had to say:

"I left the LOR help forum because I stumbled on a major flaw in the LOR system related to system crashes on Laptops. I was dismissed by a junior member of the staff as having failing computers that need to be reimaged. When I replied that he needed to step aside and allow the adult members of the staff take care of the issues he was ill prepared to recognize or even understand with his limited skills, my posts were removed by an otherwise similarly ill prepared Moderator. The issue is a major flaw in the LOR system that requires competent programmers to research and solve. Laymen acting as some form of road block for their superiors have no place in this business. That he took it upon himself to interfere with my findings and for all intents and purposes block any discussion I cared to post with accusations, ended my involvement with LOR. I no longer support the company in any way. I've begun to sell off all LOR hardware to further distance myself from a company that would openly attack their biggest fans and supporters. Attacking a customer for their posts about an issue that can be reproduced on several machines, and has been duplicated by several other customers... that's a cover up. What it equates to is this: I don't understand the problem, so I'll just push the person reporting it aside. For that behavior, I'll take my business and as many potential new customers as I can dissuade elsewhere."

Speaking for myself, I find it disturbing that he would have been treated like that by ANYONE associated with LOR. Obviously, my understanding of what Beta Testers are supposed to do is incorrect - all this time I thought we were SUPPOSED to identify problems and bugs in the software.

In any event, I, for one, will miss Jeff a great deal. He might not always suffer fools graciously, (and he's not alone there) but there's very few people around here who know more than he does about how to do what we do safely. It's sad that all of us, especially new people, have lost such a valuable resource.

I understand where he's coming from. When I owned Christmas Carolina, I got fed up with some of the things happening there. So I freely gave it to another person, domain & software which is several hundred dollars, and deleted my account. It's been over a year and haven't looked back. So from his viewpoint, he's been liberated.

I got Pixels from diy led express I would imagine that they are from RAY WU and they were not IP68 I had about 5 or 6 out of 100 (only 80 were being used) pixels short out. I am still wondering if I am going to go any more deeper into the pixels or not.

Must of been a bad run, I used 750 pixels from Todd and the guys at diyledexpress and not a single pixel was bad. I even ordered extra thinking there may be a few bad but nope not one failed pixel. I even hooked power up to a couple of them backwards a few times working outside in the dark and they still didnt go bad. Mine are the 2811 pixel strings and they are sealed very well and have been out in heavy heavy rain a lot since early Nov. I havent had to return anything to them but from my dealings with them they seemed willing to help with any issues. Have you tried shooting them an email and letting them know you got some bad items, surely they would be willing to help you out.

Saw this on diyledexpresses facebook page a few days ago................

Todd.PNG

If your just getting started, there is something to be said for keeping it simple. THe cheapest and easier ... is to just use regular incand. mini lights (cheap) and wrap the three colors into super strings (R,G,C). BUt thats old school. Its something I've done but want to move away from because the lights fade (esp. green). Good quality LED(s) are the next step up, lights last longer, but still relatively simple to program, but cost is a lot more. THen RGB dumb string is the next best and its like having LED strings that can do any color, but you can't control each BULB ... but the PRO is still pretty easy to sequence a RGB string vs. all those pixels. THen the ultimate is the RGB (smart) pixels and you can potentially control them all with something like Nutcracker, LOR, superstar, etc. But the downside is complexity and cost.

If I were you, if it took on a rgb smart pixel tree the first year, that would be almost my entire show' focus. It would probably be the biggest wow factor also and keeping it simple and limited makes you odds of success go up. I would also seriously consider only doing a 1/2 tree to also cut costs in half and realizing most viewing can only see that part anyways. I would stay away from spiral wraps and other things that add complexity. If you do a smart rgb 1/2 megatree ... nutcracker can do the spirals in software for you ... even if you just run the lights vertically for 180 degrees.

Just stumbled across this thread.. I am using the e680 series from sandivices. Yea it took a little time but thanks to Jeff Millard, I got it all figured out.

I am using the 3001ic pixels from ray, 5volts. Had to inject power but all and all a great setup. I did not have a pixel fail during this season. I had a purpose for going the pixel route. My roof line last year was lacking the wow factor. So I specifically knew what I wanted to do.. and this was the best/cheapest route. I am running 900 dmx channels on 8 strands of pixels. (Wreath I have 2 pixels per channel). Here is a small sample of what I did with them http://vimeo.com/m/54209388

Now, for those wanting to experiment, I would find pixels here in the states.. shipping cost is a well fill in the blank if you order 1 or 2 strands.. keep in mind ray also will make lights to any spacing you request with little or no change in price.

This year im planning on doing a pixel tree on the roof as well (got a half a board empty, cant have that!!!! ) so ill be

Playing with the nutcracker soon.

As far as everyone in north texas looking into this. Let me know via pm see if we can get a how to session going.

I wish everyone a safe new years!

Arnold claycomb

Can't we all just get along??

Too bad there is so much drama in a "hobby" something that is supposed to bring smiles and happiness.

what did I miss?

Guest Don Gillespie

Too bad there is so much drama in a "hobby" something that is supposed to bring smiles and happiness.

Who is not getting along around here? and where is the drama? all I am reading is what people have tried and tested, no drama from what I can see

Look at who is crying wolf. Yet your tag line is a challenge in of its self. "But mine goes to 11".

Look at who is crying wolf. Yet your tag line is a challenge in of its self. "But mine goes to 11".

Well, it's quote from a movie that I always got a kick out of, but feel free to think it's a challenge.

Lots of great tinfo in this thread, thanks guys!

I'm sure the info is out there if I search hard enough, but does anyone have a link to a decent buid for a 2d pixel matrix tree. I'm thinking of attempting one for next year, instead of a pixel Mega-tree Just not sure of sizing/ spacing and all that....Thanks

Lots of great tinfo in this thread, thanks guys!

I'm sure the info is out there if I search hard enough, but does anyone have a link to a decent buid for a 2d pixel matrix tree. I'm thinking of attempting one for next year, instead of a pixel Mega-tree Just not sure of sizing/ spacing and all that....Thanks

This one refers to doing it with CCRs.

I did a "half-tree" as my first delve into Pixels this year.. i used the Sandevices PS-1 controller, and 16 strands of tls-3001 Ray wu pixels. . it was surely as close to plug and play as one can get... the E682 controller came with power supply, connectors, and all inside a great enclosure.. a few things though..

1] I would not let pixel strings support themselves as we have on the past with regular lights.. the way most of these strands are made would put a lot of stress on them.. so I would plan on wire or rope to hold all of the support weight of the strand. stretching pixels tight without this looks to be dangerous...

2] it definitely helps to use enhanced software such as the nutcracker, or the supserstar to program them up rather than just sequence as channels.. I used Madrix.. (not for the budget minded)..

the effects you create can be mild to wild.. it is very easy to make your tree look like a traditional mega-tree or make it go crazy.. in fact i found I no longer needed strobes inside of the tree for cool effects... in my opinion it is well worth the upgrade to pixels.. esp if you were already going to either create a new mega tree or convert from incandescents over to LED already.. take the step...

-Christopher