Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixels vs LOR

shfr26

If I was going to do a mega tree with 16 channels, using one string of LED's per channel, vs doing the same thing with pixels. Can you tell me which would be cheaper per channel??

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• harrison0550

• jgp01

• WilliamS

• Crazydave

Either way I think pixels are more expensive

You need another controller one way or the other.... so they about wash out.... depending on what level of construction you get (if it's a COMPLETE DIY, the controller will be cheaper, but the pixels will still cost more).

You will also need a power supply for pixels.

Edited by Crazydave

Guest Don Gillespie

Great thread I have also been thinking about pixels, does anyone have an actual cost vs Led guideline? Pete we must be on the same page, I want to do a mega spiral tree but I need to price it out so my wife can say yay or nay

Guest wbottomley

Let's do the math.

LOR AC Controller: $260 + Pure White LED's from HLE: $250 would total to $510 for one color. $31.88 per channel

LOR CCP: $240 per set of 100 X 8= $1920. $120 per channel, Endless possibilities

SanDevices E682 plug & play $400 + 16 strands of pixels from Ray Wu $400= $800. $50 per channel, Endless possibilities.

It's actually pretty close!

Assuming you have nothing

Assuming you buy pixels from Ray Wu

Assuming you buy LED strings from Holiday Lights Express:

Assuming you buy LOR controller from LOR at regular Price:

You might be able to buy LOR controller cheaper during spring sale.

you may have to upgrade to advanced, if you haven't already for pixels

you may have to buy a switch/router for your computer

LOR/Strings

Controller (Assembled) 259.95

16 x 100 LED Green C6 Strings = 245.60

Esitmated $40

Total = 545.55

Smart/Pixels

E681 (assembled) $188

Pixels (16 strands of 50) =$288

Connectors $10

Extension cords $36

Power Supply = $20

Case = $35 (shipped)

Shipping = $60 (estimated)

Total = 642.00

(edited after wbottemly posted )

Wbottemly is a plug and play kinda deal.

mine you will have to wire things up and put things together.

But I think Bang-for-Buck... pixels is the way to go if you have nothing.

For a little bit more money, you can do some REALLY cool things

Edited by Crazydave

Do the pixels for the mega, remember ones they are pixels you can light individual strands like a regular mega tree, you can program in spirals with Seans tool, you can use Marquee tool from bob to show text or pictures across the tree. As well the millions of other things you can do. If you need any help Im only 10 minutes away. You already know I will be doing one next season, no reason I cant help you get the ball rolling. Ive got all the parts here that make up the tree Id happily share all the secrets with you.

Let's do the math.

LOR AC Controller: $260 + Pure White LED's from HLE: $250 would total to $510 for one color. $31.88 per channel

LOR CCP: $240 per set of 100 X 8= $1920. $120 per channel, Endless possibilities

SanDevices E682 plug & play $400 + 16 strands of pixels from Ray Wu $400= $800. $50 per channel, Endless possibilities.

Even cheaper per channel if you want to build the 682, and have PS and/or enclosure on hand..then you start approaching the LOR per channel prices.

To me, its a no-brainer, do the mega with pixels. Also check out Nutcracker for effects.

My opinion only, definitely keep a lot of your incan and LED props going, as the all-pixel displays turn things into a Christmas disco.

So I want three colors on all elements so that's roughly 32x3=96 or 50 for basically the same thing?

So if I went the dumb strip with LOR DC controller how many strips can be powered?

If I used say (Kevins DC controller kit)

I have approx. 125' of roof line and three windows with approx 100'.

So thinking 15 strips or so.

Edited by dknahoolewa

Thats a question for Kevin. As well there are different strips like the 5050 SMD or 3258, as well are the 30 leds per meter or 60 per meter. Lots of variables to have a general answer. I would direct that straight to Kevin as he sells the strips as well the setups.

Thats a question for Kevin. As well there are different strips like the 5050 SMD or 3258, as well are the 30 leds per meter or 60 per meter. Lots of variables to have a general answer. I would direct that straight to Kevin as he sells the strips as well the setups.

So that was just an example...

how would I figure out how many strips a 12V DC 360W/30A power supply would power.

If I use the 5050SMD 30LEDS/M

I'm a do it youself kind of person. Would like to understand RGB.

So is this the same problem of Watts per strip vs power supply?

How long can the strip be before power injection?

I've read what I think to be a ton but there are so many more chooses for LED pixels and controllers. Thats not even getting to the smart pixels and E1.31 setup.

Just looking for more info.

Thanks

Not trying to start anything but you realize you can get away with a DIY PC controller all wired up and ready to go for about $150 right? Then add on top of that $3(or $1 if you're lucky) per strand for off the shelf lights for another $55(or $20 if lucky).

Mega-Trees usually don't need extension cords if you mount the controller to the base of the tree so that's not an issue.

By my math you can do a 16 channel, single color tree for $175 to $200(minus the hardware to actually build the tree).

[edit]Didn't see you said LEDs... which I have zero experience with since I'm soooooo cheap... Oh well... at least you know what an incandescent tree would cost to get an idea of how cheaply you can do one. ;)

This thread has peaked my interest in building a tree like this. I currently have 4 LOR controllers in use with a spare one available. I love the look of the RGB tree and have about 1,200.00 to spend for next year. If I go the SanDevices E682 plug & play + 16 strands of pixels from Ray Wu, which pixel strands do I use and how many channels of LOR will I need? How hard is it to sequence the pixel strands? I've been using LOR for 5 seasons now but I think it is time to do something different with it. Thanks.

You will have to upgrade to advanced license... each pixel will add 3 channels So 12 strips of 50 pixels will add 1800 channels. But don't worry there is software as mentioned above and tricks you can do to make it easy

Keep in mind also that there is still a lot of DIY involved with strips and pixels.

Nothing is truly plug and play outside of LOR equipment.

Not trying to be negative,

I used dumb strips and pixels this year and it involved a lot of soldering and hot glue and wiring and connectors and shrink wrap and pvc frames ans angry wife and neglected kids and.....