Light-O-Rama Forums

Animation sequence question

lucifestasrl

So

Sorry, curretly on mod que, so if I make any errors, I won;t know about them until the post shows up, and usually can't fix it.

Should have been Florida. I got to get a new keyboard as sometimes when I hit a letter on my current one it doesn't show up and I miss it until someone points it out or it's too late for me to correct it.

313 posts and still in mod queue?

I was coming to the same conclusion -- In my test just now, I tried to load an animation before doing any firmware updates and it worked. But the two variables are that 1. I have a newer MP3 mini director at work and 2. I used the hardware utility instead of the Simple Show Builder at home. I immediately went to thinking that the firmware may not be the issue, and I tried to load the animation again using the simple Show Builder and it failed here too.

"Cannot download file" followed by the directory and file name and then ending with "Overflow"

So before I do any firmware work, I want to try to use the Hardware utility at home on the old MP3 mini director to see if I can load an animation. I wish I was retired or this was my career job so I could do this test now, but I am at work trying to fit in a little research between meetings and other responsibilities - just trying to stay ahead of Halloween final display time!

Thank you Surfing for flagging that direction as probably not being the correct path to a solution. I'd rather not take the chance of making my equipment "bricked" too! :o

I am however trying to figure out how to read what version of firmware is currentl on the mini directors -- any ideas? I've not had a lot of luck searching for it online or in the manual.

Thank you sincerely.

I have a mini-director that is several years old so had the "old" firmware for quite a while, and it always has played animation sequences. I load all my shows onto the SD card via the Hardware Utility. Simple Show Builder has limitations (hence why it is "simple").

The new firmware has nothing to do with any of this. The main improvement with the new firmware was the ability to play songs >10 minutes long, and expanded types of SD cards that could be used.

Release info:

313 posts and still in mod queue?

Not going to get into this or any details, the mods know the scoop on this particular issue. But just got put in there quite a few days ago until 11/4/2012. Prior to that I was not in the mod que. Doesn't matter how many posts you have, you can still end up in the mod que under some situations, even if it's not your fault. And that's all I will state on this.

Guest wbottomley

Not going to get into this or any details, the mods know the scoop on this particular issue. But just got put in there quite a few days ago until 11/4/2012. Prior to that I was not in the mod que. Doesn't matter how many posts you have, you can still end up in the mod que under some situations, even if it's not your fault. And that's all I will state on this.

Sounds like Elementary school to me.

I was coming to the same conclusion -- In my test just now, I tried to load an animation before doing any firmware updates and it worked. But the two variables are that 1. I have a newer MP3 mini director at work and 2. I used the hardware utility instead of the Simple Show Builder at home. I immediately went to thinking that the firmware may not be the issue, and I tried to load the animation again using the simple Show Builder and it failed here too.

"Cannot download file" followed by the directory and file name and then ending with "Overflow"

So before I do any firmware work, I want to try to use the Hardware utility at home on the old MP3 mini director to see if I can load an animation. I wish I was retired or this was my career job so I could do this test now, but I am at work trying to fit in a little research between meetings and other responsibilities - just trying to stay ahead of Halloween final display time!

Thank you Surfing for flagging that direction as probably not being the correct path to a solution. I'd rather not take the chance of making my equipment "bricked" too! :o

I am however trying to figure out how to read what version of firmware is currentl on the mini directors -- any ideas? I've not had a lot of luck searching for it online or in the manual.

Thank you sincerely.

I didn't "brick" the Director on purpose. I prefer to have the latest firmware in my units. And when I did, apparently, despite what the HWU stated, it did not fully download into the unit properly and created my issue. Previous to the firmware upgrade, I had forgotten that IT did work initially, as the post referenced in this thread and shows as "Guest Guest" or whatever, just happens to be MY posting of a workaround if you want to use tracks and within an animation sequence.

But I had completely forgotten that the DC-MP3 Showtime Director would run a animation file because after the FW upgrade, it no longer worked on mine.

A reinstall of the latest firmware and everything is working 100%, and with that upgrade for older Director units you can have musical sequences longer than 10 minutes. The newer MP3 Directors {after or around 2011?} probably already have this installed, so those with newer ones don't need the upgrade {or so I'd think}.

So I wouldn't call mine bricked as I'd call that rendering it completely useless and ready to be used as a boat anchor! :P

And it's working perfectly and at 100% since the re-installation of the 4.20 firmware for it.

I didn't "brick" the Director on purpose. I prefer to have the latest firmware in my units. And when I did, apparently, despite what the HWU stated, it did not fully download into the unit properly and created my issue. Previous to the firmware upgrade, I had forgotten that IT did work initially, as the post referenced in this thread and shows as "Guest Guest" or whatever, just happens to be MY posting of a workaround if you want to use tracks and within an animation sequence.

But I had completely forgotten that the DC-MP3 Showtime Director would run a animation file because after the FW upgrade, it no longer worked on mine.

A reinstall of the latest firmware and everything is working 100%, and with that upgrade for older Director units you can have musical sequences longer than 10 minutes. The newer MP3 Directors {after or around 2011?} probably already have this installed, so those with newer ones don't need the upgrade {or so I'd think}.

So I wouldn't call mine bricked as I'd call that rendering it completely useless and ready to be used as a boat anchor! :P

And it's working perfectly and at 100% since the re-installation of the 4.20 firmware for it.

Orville, I was just qouting someone else with the brick comment. No offense intented. I totally understand with wanting to have the lastest firmware. How can I see what firmware is in my mini directors? I haven't figured that out yet.

Orville, I was just qouting someone else with the brick comment. No offense intented. I totally understand with wanting to have the lastest firmware. How can I see what firmware is in my mini directors? I haven't figured that out yet.

Unfortunately LOR did not provide a window or option to read the MP3 firmware to know what it actually is.

The closest test from what I get from the HWU is this when clicking on the ? to the right of Old Firmware.

Copied directly from the HWU:

If your MP3 unit has the original firmware Version 1.0 then you must check this box. To determine if the unit has the old version of firmware, watch the LEDs when you apply power. New versions of firmware will chase the LEDs briefly when power is first applied. The Old version of firmware will not perform the chasing of the LEDs.

New versions of firmware will provide you with many new scheduling features. It is recommended that if you update your firmware if you want these additional features.

I wish LOR WOULD add an option to show the firmware in the MP3 Directors, then one would definitely know what it actually is.

But currently there is no way to read the firmware and get that info from the MP3 Director. I really wish there was.