Light-O-Rama Forums

Animation sequence question

lucifestasrl

No you can't just do that Don. The DC-MP3 Showtime Director WILL NOT play an animation sequence. It REQUIRES an MP3 file to work.

What the OP will have to do is what I did, create a DUMMY MP3 File, that is an MP3 that is nothing but a long silent sequence, there is actually no music in it whatsoever. But to the DC-MP3 or any of the MP3 Director units, this will look like an actual musical sequence.

I created a dummy 19 second MP3 for my overnight lighting effects for Halloween. I tried using an animation sequence and the LOR MP3 tab in the HWU won't even look at it.

This is the ONLY way I know around this issue with the MP3 Directors that works and has worked for me for going on 3 years now.

You'll need a program like Audacity or some type of MP3 music file creation software to create this dummy file.

See attached file for my 19 second Silent Dummy MP3 file:

Here is a show created using an animation only sequence, with 'runs anytime powered' applied. It used the animation sequence that come with the LOR Software.

Click to download.

The ZIP file contains the two files needed for the show. Copy those to an SD card.

Guest wbottomley
The DC-MP3 Showtime Director WILL NOT play an animation sequence. It REQUIRES an MP3 file to work.

Orville... you must have some really good Crow recipes because you've been eating quite a bit lately.

I have both Show Director and Mini Director and they run animation sequences without an MP3. I'm with Don 100% on this one.

Download this file and see for yourself.

Edited by wbottomley

No mp3 needed. Use animation sequences year round. Orville, in the Hardware Utility LOR MP3 show builder, when you are selecting your sequences to add to your show, there is a drop-down box where you can change from "All Sequences", "Musical Sequences", and "Animation Sequences." By default, I believe it is set to Musical Sequences, therefore that is the only type of sequence you see to choose from. Change the type, and you can choose others.

Hmm, Then maybe my DC-MP3 Showtime Director is defective and has been since I bought it almost over 3 years ago. The only way I have ever gotten it to run an animation sequence is via the run showlist once per hour or 1/2 hour" or "run showlist once" and use a filler sequence. Using just an animation sequence in it has never worked, it has always IGNORED any animation sequences I have tried putting into it. Hence why I take the meaning of "DC-MP3 Showtime Director" to mean it requires MP3 files to operate.

Creating the dummy sequence using the silent MP3 file is the only way I have ever gotten an animation sequence to work Without it being a filler sequence.

So sorry, not eating any crow, just know how the unit I have has operated since I've owned it, and what I had to do to get it to run an animation style sequence {as outlined above in my initial reply, and why I stated what I stated}.

Nor did or could I find anything in the DC-MP3 Showtime Director manual about animation sequences with the Exception of "filler sequences", again, why I would not think { and my won't} an MP3 Director will run animation sequences as a stand alone without some type MP3 music file.

Okay, well guess I may have to eat some crow pie on this one.

The story:

I had upgraded my DC-MP3 Firmware to the latest one, firmware version 4.20 and when it installed, said it installed it 100%, so I figured everything was all well and good, apparently not, as when I downloaded the initial FW update, it must not have download everything inside the fileproperly. So when I installed it into my DC-MP3 Director, it would not allow me to run an animation sequence as a stand alone sequence, in the filler section it would work {weird}, but could not use one as an overnight standalone sequence, nor could I get one to operate at specific times I wanted it to run. Guess I was lucky it even ran my musical sequences and shows I did have set!

So after reading this thread, and others saying they could do it, created a test animation sequence, took it out and plugged it in, yep, it wouldn't work, it was ignored, so I downloaded the updated firmware version 4.20 for the DC-MP3 Showtime Director again, and then did a re-install.

Well to even my amazement, after I re-installed it, even though the inital install I had done some time back said it was 100%, apparently it was not, as when I re-inserted the SD card with the test animation sequence on it, the lights faded on and then faded slowly between everything I had set up.

So here I'm thinking this is not possible, mainly because I could never get it to work, not even when I chose to use animation sequence in the HWU, so figured maybe my unit was defective, nope, just got a bad install on a firmware update. Re-installed and now it all works as it should.

Sure wish this thread was around a few years ago, would have saved me from creating a bunch of silent MP3 files and sequences I really didn't need.

So here's a somewhat seasoned user of the DC-MP3 Showtime Director that missed a very obvious option, now if something isn't working correctly, make note to self: Reinstall a firmware update and retest first!

Now where did I put that pie shell for the crows? :unsure:

So anyway, wasn't trying to mislead anyone here, just my issues is why I posted the info I did, and of course the Director manual didn't help much with this as when I did a search for animation sequences the only section I found only referenced filler sequences, nothing about standalone animations that I found. this info should be in the manual somewhere don't you think? It would help old timers and newbies, because then we'd all have known for sure. I really did not think the MP3 Directors could do animation sequences and haven't going on 3+ years UNTIL today, Tuesday 10/23/2012!

Let's see, crow pie, over an 400 degrees, bake for 30 minutes, let cool, refrigerate, best served icy cold. :wacko:

"Some guys have all the luck" as in,

"I guess I'm lucky that I've never had to create a silent musical sequence to get an animation sequence to work."

If that's mean ... it's news to me.

Since I couldn't add this to my previous message, can't edit messages when on the mod que, this would have been added:

My apologies to Don, he was correct in that, yes, you can use an animation sequence in any of the MP3 Director units.

I really did believe this was not at all possible from my own experience with my unit.

However, if you read my post just a little above this one, maybe folks can understand why I said it "could not be done" in the first place, but after checking into this further, reading where others could do this and I could not, then re-installing the latest firmware into my DC-MP3 Showtime Director corrected this anomoly, now mine will play an animation sequence by itself, where it literally refused to do it before.

Orville, what's for dinner tonight? :P

Why? You want to fly down from N.C. to Florda and join me? ;)

The dinner plan is:

Baked Crow for the main course

Deep Fried Crow {French Fried} for a side

Cornbread Crow

and of course for Desert: Ice Cold Crow Pie with a wee bit of Whip Cream.

:lol:;):P

Orville, what's for dinner tonight? :P

Just pluck the feathers really good. I like to floss after I eat, not during. ;)

Edited by Santas Helper

Why? You want to fly down from N.C. to Florda and join me? ;)

The dinner plan is:

Baked Crow for the main course

Deep Fried Crow {French Fried} for a side

Cornbread Crow

and of course for Desert: Ice Cold Crow Pie with a wee bit of Whip Cream.

:lol:;):P

Whip Cream or Whipped Cream?

William..I'd be cautious if you're thinking of making the trip.