Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX on existing LOR Network?

jgp01

Does anyone know if it's possible to add DMX to an existing LOR network? I don't mean plugigng in another dongle into my computer.....

I mean controlling DMX lighting out of one of my LOR controllers. Either directly or by adding a DMX dongle to the extra Cat 5 port on the controller. I understand how to do it by adding another Universe / network. I'd just rather not have to run another cat 5 outside if I don't have to....I read through the AusChritmas guide and one other and if it was explained I missed it.

Let me try to clarify: I know I can use my LOR controller as a DMX controller, but I don't want to rearrange my channels. I'd like to plug DMX lights or a Dongle into the extra Cat5 port at the end of my controller string, so it's one network running 2 protocols (I guess)....is this possible?

I didn't want to run an additional cable either so I built 2 junction boxes with cat5 jacks. I used pins 1&2 for 1 DMX universe, pins 3,4,5,&6 for LOR, and pins 7&8 for a second DMX universe.

Much easier than running multiple cables.

2 junction boxes....One for inside and one for outside?

You still use sepparate USB dongles inside: combine them, then split them back apart outside?

Yes. The dongle will only output one protocol at a time. I'm using 3 dongles inside, combining into one cable, and splitting back out to LOR and 2 DMX universes.

Yeah, I know about the IDMX 1000..too expensive. I was hoping for some sort of third party solution. The multiple dongles on one cat5 sounds like the best bet for now. Thanks for all the help / replies!

Guest wbottomley

Let me try to clarify: I know I can use my LOR controller as a DMX controller, but I don't want to rearrange my channels. I'd like to plug DMX lights or a Dongle into the extra Cat5 port at the end of my controller string, so it's one network running 2 protocols (I guess)....is this possible?

IDMX is the only solution as you described.

Has anyone tried to run multiple controllers in DMX mode and then plug a Standard DMX stage light (like a par38 RGB LED can) into the last controller? I figured I'd give it a try today, just for the heck of it and I couldn't get the stagelight to work. I do all my editing on my desktop and I run my shows off my laptop. So I can just unplug from my laptop and plug into my desktop with my reconfigured sequence. I took one of my regular halloween sequences changed the network to DMX universe 1. I have 2 LOR contollers (32 channels total). I renamed all my channels DMX 1-32 and plugged my par38 in the second controller addressed at 33. I have a Cat5 to 3pin xlr converter, I also made a DMX to LOR jumper for the converter.. If I added the jumper and all the lights flash uncontrollably and if I used the converter straight all the LOR channels worked but the Par38 wouldn't. I've tried running the Par's directly off the LOR dongle with the converter and jumper and it works fine. And I did use a 100 OHM terminator......very confusing. Any insight?

When you go from the last controller to the DMX fixture, you'll need another jumper to get from pins 3&4 (not 1&2 which is the DMX standard) to XLR. My guess is that's what's going wrong...

I figured it out If anyone else is having the same issue: The LOR control panel must be loaded before the listener will startup and DMX will work correctly. Very frustrating, because you can control your LOR controllers in DMX directly from the sequence editor but external plugins won't work unless the listener starts up etc etc............

• The topic was locked