Light-O-Rama Forums

Unable to locate Light O Rama Port

Jnorieaga

I am a newbie with the Light O Rama equipment, last year I bought 2 PC-CTB16PC, S3 Software - Basic Plus SW-BasicPlus and a USB-RS485 Communications USB485. I connected it to my desktop computer and it worked great the entire Christmas holiday. I just pulled it out and installed the S3 Basic plus software to my laptop and when I try to locate the controller using the USB-RS485 I keep getting " PORT NOT FOUND. UNABLE TO LOCATE THE LIGHT O RAMA PORT. CHECK THAT THE CONTROLLER IS CONNECTED AND POWERED ON. " I have uninstalled and re installed the driver, I have tried probably 10 different CAT 5 E cables and still the same problem.

I'm at a loss and could use all the help I can get.

Thanks

I just did a system restore on my laptop for an issue not related to the Light-O-Rama so I had to reinstall the Light-O-Rama software so now it comes up with port comm 3 but I still can't locate the controllers.

Guest wbottomley

Go to your device manager and find what comm port the adapter is on. Then place that number in the HU and all should be good. Restoring your PC will not resolve the problem but only make it harder to diagnose.

I didn't restore my computer due to this problem with the Light-O-Rama controller, I really didn't want to but had to. So in the Device Manager under Universal Serial Bus Controller the Usb Serial Converter the location is Port_#0002.Hub_#0003. So I went into the Ports ( Com & LPT ) and went into the port settings and then the advanced part and changed the Comm Port settings to Comm 2. I then go into Light-O-Rama and then I click on Light O Rama Hardware and I click on Comm 2 since it is the only option I have and then Auto Configure and I still get the same message that the controller can't be found.

Also the driver that is installed on my laptop is the FTDI Version 2.8.24.0, if that helps.

As you saying you cannot find your LOR Controller now.

What ID number is the controller?

Is your Max ID setting in the HU high enough to Ifind the controller.

You might want to set the Max ID to 255 and see what it finds. This will take a while to do this scan.

Edited by Dennis Cherry

The ID # for my first controller is 01. I changed the Max ID to the highest which is 240 and I click on refresh and after some time it comes back with no controller found.

I am having the EXACT same problem. I also have two controllers, worked fine last year on Win Vista. Computer blew up over the summer, so I replaced it with a Win 7 machine. Setting up for halloween, and the Hardware Utility does not recognize either controller. I have tried them separately, with different CAT 5 cables, and also tried a different computer, no luck. Wrote to Light O Rama for help, and I decided to order a new USB485. It will be here tomorrow. I will let you know what I find out - hopefully. If it doesn't work, I may not be responsible for my actions.

Ordering a new USB485 was the only other thing that I could think of, please let me know if that solves your problem.

Same problem here as well!!! Does it have to be a RS485 from light o rama or can i pick one up someplace else???