Light-O-Rama Forums

credit card fraud

digdeepfundraising

LOR also takes other major credit cards, which could be the source. Just sayin.

I'm not sayin it's LOR. I'm sayin it could be the cards. Financial companies can and have been hacked.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• digdeepfundraising

• Santas Helper

• Surfing4Dough

• LOR Staff

Got a call yesterday that my card was used as well (at Sports Chalet w/ items being shipped to CA, as well as a bunch through XSolla)--about $1500 since 9/17. I bought from HLE earlier this year, but used paypal. I have bought from LOR but not this year (other than from Displays in Motion, but that too was with PP). I have purchased from CLS, but it has been over 1 yr, and at least the last time I used PP then too. Maybe in years prior with LOR or CLS I have used the CC, but haven't confirmed that. I use PP when I can, and often make one time use "virtual cards" with my CC, so rare that I use the original number (mostly Amazon).

Lets not forget that you don't even have to use your card for your info to be hacked.

Data bases are being hacked more and more now days.

I try to use only my Debit card for Internet purchases and only load money onto it when I'm about to use it. Only a very small amount of money is on the card when not being used. That way any scum trying to use it can only spend a minimal amount.

Ordered from both lor and CLS this year with no cc issues. But bank sent a letter the other day that they believe my card was accessed (haven't used this particular card in years). But apparently someone's database had been hacked

I try to use only my Debit card for Internet purchases and only load money onto it when I'm about to use it. Only a very small amount of money is on the card when not being used. That way any scum trying to use it can only spend a minimal amount.

yes this is what I do as well,I have a prpaid card from visa and when I am going to purchase something I load what I need and it's just a 3 dollar charge,small amout to pay imo just to keep scum guessing. not to say that our bank card can't be had when using it at a store but not yet(fingers crossed)

I personally use Discover Card's 'Secure Online Account Numbers'. It generates a unique card number that I use for on-line purchases. As long as purchases only come from the first merchant you used the number with, it stays active. If it gets used somewhere else, the number is immediately deactivated.

Discover Card also caught some fraud on my parents account very quickly a couple of weeks ago. Apparently a waiter at a restaurant they frequent cloned their card.

I personally use Discover Card's 'Secure Online Account Numbers'. It generates a unique card number that I use for on-line purchases. As long as purchases only come from the first merchant you used the number with, it stays active. If it gets used somewhere else, the number is immediately deactivated.

Discover Card also caught some fraud on my parents account very quickly a couple of weeks ago. Apparently a waiter at a restaurant they frequent cloned their card.

I do too. I was bummed when the started to eliminate these virtual numbers last year, to the point that called and sent an email griping about it. Glad they brought them back.

I never knew you could reuse the same number multiple times at the same merchant (assuming I read that right). I thought they were all single use.

I do too. I was bummed when the started to eliminate these virtual numbers last year, to the point that called and sent an email griping about it. Glad they brought them back.

I never knew you could reuse the same number multiple times at the same merchant (assuming I read that right). I thought they were all single use.

A lot of people think that.

I have several recurring transactions on SOANs that work just fine month to month (Netflix, Funimation, Sirius, cell phone, etc). I've also used them on Amazon, but you have to watch those. If it's Amazon selling to you, no problem. However once you start using it with merchants that sell through Amazon, it's only a matter of time before it is blacklisted.

I am in law enforcement and deal with this sort of stuff daily. It’s not always the company you dealt with; there are credit card processing services they use, like Mike said LOR uses paypal. Also another problem is people are rarely prosecuted. it may cost more to build a case then was lost. And once the card owner is re-reimbursed they are no longer the victim. The bank or credit card is, and they will write off the loss rather than hire lawyers to pursue charges all over the world. And as long as it is easy money it will happen. But....with more stores and restaurants having video with accurate time stamps we are arresting more people when we get fraud calls for people using stolen credit cards.

• 3 weeks later...

This is why I use PayPal whenever I can. I don't like giving my credit card number to ANY company if I can help it.

I have had to replace 2 cards this year.

one because a taxi company was billing us fake charges.

I caught that one.

Another time someone charged 1 cent then 10 cents (to test the card I guess) then a couple of Verizon charges, I live in Canada and we don't have Verizon here.

My CC company caught this one and deactivated my card and contacted me.

Another CC had unautherized usage and they contacted me and confirmed it was not me that made the purchase.

I have never had to pay for any of the fraud purchases.

The CC companies need to come up with a way to combat the problem.

I actually have the opposite problem. My bank disables the card when they suspect fraud. They say they try to contact me to tell me but I have yet to be contacted. It is highly embarrassing when at the grocery store my card is denied and I do not have cash to pay for it.

Sorry, I just caught this thread....

We did get audited this year for PCI compliance and we passed. But to me, that doesn't mean much these days! I once had a card I hadn't used in a year get hacked....

But if you think your fraud may have been due to purchasing from us, please let me know. PM me, or call me. I'll pass it along to our CC processing company.

Also, run updated virus checks on your computers! there can be background programs watching your every move!

After my recent purchase, nothing so far. But, it could be one CC company that many vendors are using.

I know that I was issued a new card from B of A because of a breach in a vendors system. They never told me which one.

they will give me 100% refund but there looking into it as all my other 4 payments i made from that card are from the states too lol so i guess there just making sure its not me

@caniac dam i wish it was me over there i would be spending more than that :D

I know this is last month, but just wanted to mention we use the venture card from capital one, and when we went out of state, and charged stuff, their fraud division called us to verify we were out of state. Lolz, when I bought stuff through aliexpress from China, they called again :D