Light-O-Rama Forums

Strobe Bulbs?

Sparky Griswold

• 1 month later...

Ok strobes. Im looking at christmaslightshow and they have strobes. There are two different types. 1 or 3-4 flashes per second. Which is more common?

Ok strobes. Im looking at christmaslightshow and they have strobes. There are two different types. 1 or 3-4 flashes per second. Which is more common?

3 to 4 flashes per second. It's more dazzling and more random.

The 1 per second seems to be slower and more in line with each other when turned on all together and not so random of a pattern IMHO.

I'm guessing by your member name you own a GTO?

Edited by Santas Helper

3 to 4 flashes per second. It's more dazzling and more random.

The 1 per second seems to be slower and more in line with each other when turned on all together and not so random of a pattern IMHO.

I'm guessing by your member name you own a GTO?

I agree with all Tom said,cls has good strobes I have several and no problems.

I agree with all Tom said,cls has good strobes I have several and no problems.

What is cls? Website?

Edited by gtoyeah

What is cls? Website?

I'm not sure what James mentioned but...

CDI comes to mind. Here is there web site.

http://www.creativedisplays.com/

And they are having sales for the next twelve weeks. An item or two each week. You can bet strobes will be there some where.

Edited by Santas Helper

CLS has the "U" tube strobes that I mentioned above in one of my earlier post. Where as CDI has the "I" tubes that again I mentioned above in an earlier post. "U"s cost more, but in my opinion is that the flash is visible from all directions of the lamp. But this comes with an increase cost compared to CDI's sales price.

Not sure what the going price is as I have a stock of spares on hand, but I know I have gotten them from CLS in the past for $5.50 a strobe. Not a bad price.

I bought 25 LED strobes earlier this year and when they arrived, I connected them to a controller to test. I was disappointed in that they that they all start blinking together way too much, then slowly start blinking at different rates. Bascially it was a very poor strobe effect and not what I wanted. I then bought 25 zenon strobes and again when they arrived, tested them. They worked just fine other than a couple of DOA which were replaced immediately by the vendor. There is one difference as well in that LED types are available in different colors whereas zenon are not, or not as far as I saw. You could use the LED strobes on different channels and obtain the effect but that's a lot of wasted channels in my opinion. With the zenon strobes, there were warnings to insure a breather hole is drilled into the base at the correct location to prevent moisture buildup which I've not done till I get ready to hang them. The implication is that you need to pay attention to your hanging orientation in relation to wherever you drill this hole and then secure them so they don't move during the season. Otherwise the result could be rain/moisture getting in there and ruining it. I'm still a newbie so hopefully my reading here in the forums and learning plus advice from the various vendors will all come together and result in a perfect show.

Dgrant - The warnings you mention for xenon are mearly suggestions. The weep holes assist with the potential moisture build up within the strobe. Typically it is the moisture that temporarily kills the xenon. The weep holes are not manditory, they just help mitigate the build up, in theory. Moisture typically does not kill the strobe. Once dried out, most start working again.

The BEST way to mitigate moisture in the strobes is to spray a conformal coating on the PCB and component leads. Early on in this thread is a mention of a How-To I put on my website. I have a link/reference for this spray in that document.

• 4 weeks later...

Question for those of you that might know: How are these strobes?

http://store.lightsmusicmagic.com/E17-Base-8W-Strobe-Light-Incandescent-130-Flash-Minute_p_9557.html

At $4.90 each they are much cheaper than others. The page claims they are IP144 Waterproof. At 130 flashes per minute they are not quite as fast as some others I have looked at. (Problem?)

Anyone used these before?

Dan, I havent used those you listed, again, mine were from CDI (I think I said CLS before).. abt $4/ea several yrs ago.. bought them by the case.. and only two failed after a year.. 130/min or 2/sec is pretty slow.. most xenon's are 4-5/sec, depends on their quality and recharge rate.. and the C9 sockets I use are just old C9 strings from Goodwill with the bulbs removed.. several strings cost me a couple bux..

The strobes I got from CDI are about 2 flash per sec which is perfect for my display. Especially when I have about 30 of them going at once.

Edited by Santas Helper

anyone played around with the LED Strobe Floods from WoWLights? they are ten flashes a second which I am thinking might be OK for my Halloween display but not Christmas.