Light-O-Rama Forums

Setting up the LOR hardware outside

drums114

I have two of the metal-cased controllers. For one I built a small bottomless box with a front door that flips up. I u-bolt the box to the mega tree post then bolt the controller inside the box.

The other controller is bolted to a 2x4 in the ground and covered with a 30 gal. lightweight plastic trash can. The bottom is open for connection access. This one is hidden by shrubbery so I'm not concerned with how it looks - just that my controller stays dry. Three years and no issues.

Be sure to hang your contoollers high enough so the dongle ends are a few inches off the ground when connected to extension cords. That helps prevent GFI tripping issues.

James George wrote:

Be sure to hang your contoollers high enough so the dongle ends are a few inches off the ground when connected to extension cords.

+1 :)

heres mine thay are mounted to the concret mega base and padlocked my other 2 reside locked on thier hand truck mount with the portable power panel.

Attached files 304622=16717-003.JPG

GoofyGuy wrote:

Jack Mair wrote:
Hello
I wouldn't recommend a plastic bag as it will cause condensation inside it.
If you have the plastic controller then just hang it as is,they are watertight.

The Plastic boxes are no where near water proof.  Both of mine had water in them. 

It may have been that water came in through holes in your boxes, possibly where they are screwed/fastened in place, or you didn't use drip loops with your outgoing/incoming wires..

I have used LOR/other manufacturer's plastic boxes for years, and even those located under my megatree have never has an issue with any water.

Greg

GoofyGuy wrote:

The Plastic boxes are no where near water proof. Both of mine had water in them.

I have to take issue with that comment. I suspect there might be a bit of operator error at work here, because your experience (with both of your controllers, no less) defies the mathematical probabilities to a point so far beyond the norm that it's simply unbelievable.

I have controllers in LOR, Keptel, and Rain Rite (or whatever those big honkers are called) plastic enclosurers and none have EVER had a drop of water in them... except for one that I inadvertantly left open overnight once.

I'd suggest that you make sure you've installed the boxes in an upright orientation, make sure that the door is properly aligned with the box, and make sure the latch completely engages. If you're concerned that they will blow open use a zip tie to lock them closed once you're certain they're securely latched.

George Simmons wrote:

GoofyGuy wrote:
The Plastic boxes are no where near water proof. Both of mine had water in them.

I have to take issue with that comment. I suspect there might be a bit of operator error at work here, because your experience (with both of your controllers, no less) defies the mathematical probabilities to a point so far beyond the norm that it's simply unbelievable.

I have controllers in LOR, Keptel, and Rain Rite (or whatever those big honkers are called) plastic enclosurers and none have EVER had a drop of water in them... except for one that I inadvertantly left open overnight once.

I'd suggest that you make sure you've installed the boxes in an upright orientation, make sure that the door is properly aligned with the box, and make sure the latch completely engages. If you're concerned that they will blow open use a zip tie to lock them closed once you're certain they're securely latched.

I agree George--exactly what I thought when I read that. I would also add not to try to "weatherproof" the boxes by adding weatherstripping to the door. A few years ago I remember seeing that somebody added foam or rubber weatherstrip, which then didn't allow the door to close at tight, and let water into the enclosure. I also don't rely just on the latch but also tighten the screw since it seems to tighten door a tad more. I remember a few years ago that

Note that the enclosures are listed as being "weatherproof." This is the type of enclosure that telephone/utility companies often use for their outdoor equipment--doubt they want their stuff getting wet. http://store.lightorama.com/enforpcco.html

This is from Dan a few years ago:
LightORamaDan wrote:
PaulXmas wrote:
I was under the impression the boxes are fine outside without any extra protection.

Perhaps someone from LOR can confirm these boxes can be placed outside with out any extra protection.
[snip]

When installed upright, off the ground we have not heard of any issues. The boxes are designed to be out in weather.
http://forums.lightorama.com/view_post.php?post_id=208576
(there is other good discussion within that thread too on this topic)

Surfing4Dough wrote:

George Simmons wrote:
GoofyGuy wrote:

I agree George--exactly what I thought when I read that. I would also add not to try to "weatherproof" the boxes by adding weatherstripping to the door. A few years ago I remember seeing that somebody added foam or rubber weatherstrip, which then didn't allow the door to close at tight, and let water into the enclosure. I also don't rely just on the latch but also tighten the screw since it seems to tighten door a tad more. I remember a few years ago that

Note that the enclosures are listed as being "weatherproof." This is the type of enclosure that telephone/utility companies often use for their outdoor equipment--doubt they want their stuff getting wet. http://store.lightorama.com/enforpcco.html

This is from Dan a few years ago:
LightORamaDan wrote:
PaulXmas wrote:
I was under the impression the boxes are fine outside without any extra protection.

Perhaps someone from LOR can confirm these boxes can be placed outside with out any extra protection.
[snip]

When installed upright, off the ground we have not heard of any issues. The boxes are designed to be out in weather.
http://forums.lightorama.com/view_post.php?post_id=208576
(there is other good discussion within that thread too on this topic)

even the metal boxes?

Surfing4Dough wrote:

For what it is worth, attached is the product guide from the manufacturer of the PC enclosures that also lists them as weatherproof.

Do you have one of these for the metal enclosures?

drums114 wrote:

even the metal boxes?

The LOR metal enclosures are in NEMA 3R enclosures which means:

Type 3R

Enclosures constructed for either indoor or outdoor use to provide a degree of protection to personnel against access to hazardous parts; to provide a degree of protection of the equipment inside the enclosure against ingress of solid foreign objects (falling dirt); to provide a degree of protection with respect to harmful effects on the equipment due to the ingress of water (rain, sleet, snow); and that will be undamaged by the external formation of ice on the enclosure.

Guest wbottomley

GoofyGuy wrote:

The Plastic boxes are no where near water proof.  Both of mine had water in them. 

Someone is on the crack pipe again. :P

When I compare my experience to your's, I think the problem will be user error. I have 50 controllers outside in the elements, snow, ice, rain, wind, cold, and never had the first problem.

You might want to go back to the drawing board and see where that step is you missed.

Just saying.