Light-O-Rama Forums

Setting up the LOR hardware outside

drums114

Jeff Millard wrote:

Misinformation seems to be the norm in the LOR help forum now that the admins delete posts calling out those presenting the misinformation. A nicer and happier, yet less informative place.

Jeff

My take on that would be good! I wouldn't want unsafe info to be on my boards either..
One thing that I really do know about human error is "you can't fix stupid".. Until it cost you!

Note: I'm referring to my old ways of not reading instructions or thinking through process of illuminations.. Not calling anyone here stupid, but common sense is to use waterproof silicone in areas drilled into enclosures with electronics on board.

All of the LOR enclosures are designed to be weather resistant. They are not waterproof. What that means is that their performance should not be affected by normal weather. That does not mean that water will never infiltrate them.

Keep them mounted vertically and far enough off the ground to keep the dangles from touching the ground and you should be fine.

If you open them and see that there is some moisture near the bottom of the box that is not really anything of concern.

If you open them and see moisture on the circuit board I would be concerned and would double check that the door is closed tightly. In the case of the plastic enclosure screw the door closed to make sure it remains tightly closed. Also make sure that the enclosures are not in position where water from your eves falls directly on them, etc.

One other thing is that you should be careful with attempts to completely seal the enclosure. Placing a plastic bag over the controller is frowned upon BUT only because if done incorrectly it can cause more harm than good. If you were to put a plastic bag over the controller you would want to have it open at the bottom so there is still good air flow but that the bag acts as a shield to prevent falling water from contacting the enclosure.

Dan

I take exception to the part of an earlier post that says "Misinformation seems to be the norm in the LOR help forum now that the admins delete posts calling out those presenting the misinformation."...

Perhaps the problem is that people sometimes do not see the difference between disagreeing/correcting someone (which is fine) vs outright unnecessary rudeness.

We are not trying to sanitize nor accuse... What we are trying to do is to reduce necessary rudeness. We have not deleted posts where people have simply disagreed with another person. If we did that we would be deleting half the posts in here.

I of course believe that when a person posts something that is incorrect that those who know should make corrections. But in making the correction it is not necessary to judge the poster but rather judge the correctness of the post.

I am the one that does most of the deleting here. I have done my best to remain unbiased as to the persons involved but rather look only at the content of posts.

Looking through this thread I see only once sentence that was rude and didn't really add anything to the thread. Perhaps is was a joke but if so my sense of humor (which I think is pretty good) did not recognize it as such. Now if I "sanitized" that post (which I didn't) by removing that one sentence it would not have made any difference as far as the information that was available in the thread.

Now on the other hand there were a number of jokes in the thread that also did not really contribute to the thread but honestly, I like a good laugh now and then.

Of course this post also distracts from the thread (sorry).

Dan

I use a metal post and mount/ziptie my controller to it. I then place a 5 gallon bucket over it that has two holes at the botton so that I can drive a metal rod in each hole. This gives air supply plus delays the thief long enough to get a good camera shot. Once I have all the buckets in place I tie a bow around each because they are under my MEGA TREE. hOPE THIS HELPS.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I know this is an extremely old post, but I just got my first controller and don't want to break it before I use it.  I looked at the box and it doesn't show any holes or ways to hook it to a metal post, a fence, a tree.  When you guys(girls) use the U-Ring or zip-ties to attach the box to a metal post or other object are you drilling into the plastic of the LOR control itself with all the brains inside?  or are you taking it out? Or am I not reading this correctly?

Thank You!

• Like 1

There are several indentations on the back of the plastic case that are places where the case is thinner. A wood screw will go right through these places with no trouble at all. The LOR circuit board with the heat sinks is very robust. You won't be able to break it with pressure on the case.

I have attach a controller to the tree in the front yard by simply opening it up and aiming the screws to clear the circuit board and hit the  screw holes. I have been using the same controller for 7 years and it has never failed.

There are 2 main causes for controller failures outside. The first is water intrusion, usually caused by accidentally leaving the door open, but can also be caused by mounting the controller upside down or in another incorrect configuration where the water can enter but not exit. The second is not securing the network cable, and then tripping over it. My current method is to drill a couple of holes in the heat sink near the bottom corner, and then using wire ties to secure the network cable there before it exits the box.