Light-O-Rama Forums

Setting up the LOR hardware outside

drums114

drums114 wrote:

Got it thanks. So the metal boxes ARE water proof.

Weather-proof is probably a better description. Waterproof would suggest that they can be submerged IMO.

In using both type of enclosures the method I like the best is to take one of these (see link) remove the cover, turn it upside down, spray paint it black and then cover your controller and connections. I leave the controllers right on the ground and place a silica packet in them.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100671084/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

After the season, sweep the snow away, remove the tote and your controller comes right up.

BrianC wrote:

In using both type of enclosures the method I like the best is to take one of these (see link) remove the cover, turn it upside down, spray paint it black and then cover your controller and connections. I leave the controllers right on the ground and place a silica packet in them.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100671084/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

After the season, sweep the snow away, remove the tote and your controller comes right up.

I saw your intro from your 2010 display- can you send me that mp3? Also does any one have that christmas vacation sounds clip when Grisworld pulgs in his XMAS lights for the first time and they dont work?

A sprinkler at the wrong angle or heavy rain can and will enter the box. That being said because it seems everyone is once again on the attack which I don't truly care. There is a difference in water proof and weather proof. As for the water that has entered my controller was only discovered when changing a few Cat5 cords around. The water was located at the bottom of the door not the box itself, as far as I could see there was no water on the electrical components. The show ran fine rain or shine no odd flickering, nor dead channels, not a single tripped GFCI.

As the case itself is hard plastic with no membrane for a water tight seal its always possible to have water in the case in quite a few scenarios. Not saying they are bad but certainly not waterproof. Even LOR does not make such a claim.

I know everyone likes to hear themselves talk regardless of point so Ill take it with a grain of salt stating I was on drugs or do not have the mathematical ability to install a box on a 2x4. I'm certain a few of you are chomping at the bit to attack me, so lets get it on!

Guest wbottomley

No one here is attacking you. Get that out of your mind. Go back and check any holes leading outside of the box. There, you'll find where the water is seeping in and place some silicone to stop it.

If you're using the pipe like I have, make sure a drain hole is placed below the last screw hole for drainage.

GoofyGuy wrote:

A sprinkler at the wrong angle or heavy rain can and will enter the box. That being said because it seems everyone is once again on the attack which I don't truly care. There is a difference in water proof and weather proof. As for the water that has entered my controller was only discovered when changing a few Cat5 cords around. The water was located at the bottom of the door not the box itself, as far as I could see there was no water on the electrical components. The show ran fine rain or shine no odd flickering, nor dead channels, not a single tripped GFCI.

As the case itself is hard plastic with no membrane for a water tight seal its always possible to have water in the case in quite a few scenarios. Not saying they are bad but certainly not waterproof. Even LOR does not make such a claim.

I know everyone likes to hear themselves talk regardless of point so Ill take it with a grain of salt stating I was on drugs or do not have the mathematical ability to install a box on a 2x4. I'm certain a few of you are chomping at the bit to attack me, so lets get it on!

If you are goofy enough to install a controller over a sprinkler, then yes you are right. At least here in Ohio we don't consider sprinklers as "weather." :) We get plenty of rain to take care of that (even broke a record this past year)--and still not a drop of water in an enclosure. I guess that LOR should put an asterisk after their weatherproof claim. "*weatherproof only if you mount the controller properly and ensure that you close it securely."

Never said it was over a sprinkler, thats an example of what was posted last year. I knew this was coming, I almost set myself up for it.

GoofyGuy wrote:

Never said it was over a sprinkler, thats an example of what was posted last year. I knew this was coming, I almost set myself up for it.

I didn't say you did. I just stated that fact that if installed a controller over a sprinkler that it would be goofy. Don't you agree? Doesn't seem that scenario applies to you. Please tell me what in my posts about this topic you disagree with. I think you will find that there was plenty of useful information (if not for you, then for others that it might apply to).

So as was said before:
wbottomley wrote:
No one here is attacking you. Get that out of your mind.

well i don t have a dog in this heres a possible answer for all(WATER RESISTANT) even submarines art water proof yes i am a 1 year newbie my self

drums114 wrote:

Thanks, but I went to the link and downloaded the XMAS vacation zip package but I don't see that specific sound bite in there....

I'll send William the file, it 74 mgs. maybe he can setup a zipfile to copy from.

Maybe it would help some if we define the plastic enclosures (assuming the door was properly closed of course) as IP 64, which is:

Complete protection
Dust-proof

Spray water from all directions, (limited ingress permitted)
Splashing

instead of IP68, which is:

Complete protection
Dust-proof

Permanent Immersion, under pressure
For use on Titanic recovery vehicle

Does that help?

Its funny as I was typing my original response about
the plastic box being water i was thinking of adding
the line "of course this doesn't mean you can mount it
underwater in your pond" but i assumed that went without sayin.

I have one sitting on the floor of my growhouse that gets soaked at least 10 minutes
a day from march to november an twice a day during the summer.
I have another between my mistbeds which run 10 seconds every 10 minutes, 6 to 12 hours a day without a single problem.

Jack Mair wrote:

Its funny as I was typing my original response about
the plastic box being water i was thinking of adding
the line "of course this doesn't mean you can mount it
underwater in your pond" but i assumed that went without sayin.

I have one sitting on the floor of my growhouse that gets soaked at least 10 minutes
a day from march to november an twice a day during the summer.
I have another between my mistbeds which run 10 seconds every 10 minutes, 6 to 12 hours a day without a single problem.

Really????:P

This was my first LOR year, and mine has the plastic enclosure. I had no water issues after a number of rain/snow storms. Just make sure the door is closed tight, and hung vertically. I hammered one of these fence posts WAY into the ground (which then froze, big plus!):
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1278562&cp=2568444.2598671.2602631.1305649

Then inserted a carriage bolt through the post and into the plastic enclosure, with the nuts inside it. I put a padlock on the enclosure, so you couldn't take the bolt off unless the lock was undone.