Light-O-Rama Forums

Setting up the LOR hardware outside

drums114

Hi again -

Quick question. I just have one system (16 channels) but hope to expand next year and want to build a stand for the systems. I live in Chicago so I need something that will hold up with the elements (wind, rain, snow, etc..) and protect the LOR (putting a garbage bag around it to protect the electronics?) and or something to camlofoge it would also be good. I was planning on building the stand out of some 2*4s or something. If anyone has any pictures or plans, etc...ANYTHING, that would be a great help.

Thanks!

Mark

Here ya go. This was in Florida mind you, some rains but no worries on my end of theft. This is also why they tell you not to get your dongles in an uproar.

Attached files 304559=16713-IMAG0695.jpg

I actually live in the suburbs outside of Chicago in Wauconda. This will be my first year working with a LOR. I have 2 songs pretty much coded but now also worrying about the operations aspect of my display...

Sorry I don't have any pictures but most of mine are attached to my house. The ones that controll my mega tree are attached via a U bolt to the pole of the tree.
I live in Northern Canada and we can get down to -40C or colder, not sure if it has gotten much colder since I have own the controllers. Make sure you have the dongles facing down and you shouldn't have any problems.

Welcome to the MADNESS!!!!:(

Waconda is about 50 miles northwest of Burbank i have 7 lor controllers and 12 ccr's all in the lor plastic boxes had no trouble with rain or snow

Guest wbottomley

PaulXmas wrote:

Sorry I don't have any pictures but most of mine are attached to my house. The ones that controll my mega tree are attached via a U bolt to the pole of the tree.
I live in Northern Canada and we can get down to -40C or colder, not sure if it has gotten much colder since I have own the controllers. Make sure you have the dongles facing down and you shouldn't have any problems.

Welcome to the MADNESS!!!!:(

My dongle would be facing down in temperatures that cold. :P

There they are Williams are what I modeled mine off of. I recalled seeing his and thats how mine were born. As you see even in Florida winter of 90 degrees my dongels are all hangin low.

Thanks all for the information. Does anyone put like a plastic bag or anything over the LOR? I have the metal casing LOR but it does not seem that water tight...I thought I would need something to protect the electonics...

Hello
I wouldn't recommend a plastic bag as it will cause condensation inside it.
If you have the plastic controller then just hang it as is,they are watertight.
If you have a metal controller then tilt it forward
when mounting it.
Keep in mind i just lean mine up against a post.

Another tip for the chicago guys add you location to your profile so as we all will know where you are from.
It colud help you get more localized assistance.
I promise its not so someone can come steal your equipment.

Welcome to the forum.

Jack Mair wrote:

Hello

The Plastic boxes are no where near water proof. Both of mine had water in them.

GoofyGuy wrote:

Jack Mair wrote:
Hello

The Plastic boxes are no where near water proof. Both of mine had water in them.

So does anyone have any soultions to the water,snow,etc... problem then? I just feel like I need to protect the LOR...

The water that made it in was at the bottom of the box after a few days of hard rain. I do not believe anything eletrical actaully got wet, ran around the perimieter into it. Regardless a strong sprinker setup would add some nice spark effects to the setup.

I use the plastic CG-1500s, had several on the ground, horizontal, and while I reduce the irrigation system running to a few selective zones during the time lights are deployed, we had rain during the light season, including a few all-day showers, and I've never had an issue with water intrusion.

Can't speak to the LOR box that is provided, but the keptels do a good job of keeping things dry.

I had good luck using two metal fence stakes (Lowes or HD)
I attached a 12" x 20"x 3/4" plywood board to the stakes and attached the controllers to the board. I covered it all with a plastic trash bag- kept the bag open at the bottom for the wires and air circulation. I used spray paint to give the black trash bags a "camo" effect. The controllers are mounted high enough to keep the plugs out of the dirt/mud. This worked well and kept all dry from the rain and sprinklers.