Light-O-Rama Forums

Transmitter???

Wynell Lewis

Jumping on the EDM bandwagon.....Based on the recommendation of DonFL, I purchased the EDM in June. It was VERY easy to solder the power connector in place. It worked flawlessly this year for Halloween and Christmas. You won't regret buying the EDM.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Surfing4Dough

• Max-Paul

• PMC

• CKSedg

Orville wrote:

PMC wrote:
the reason why you have to solder is because the FCC rules makes it clear if the unit is fully assembled it has to be within Part 15 specs to be sold in the USA and if you "solder" just one connection that's considered a kit and it can be sold in the USA as such, and you are now responsible to make that unit Part 15 compliant not the manufacturer

That's what I find very interesting PMC, the fully assembled units being sold, such as my MBB Eclipse 4000 IS NOT FCC Certified, yet it is sold in the US FULLY ASSEMBLED (or shall we say, it was, that model has been discontinued).    But it does make me wonder strongly how some "American companies in the US" can sell these completed units and NOT have been FCC Part 15 Certified and get out the door in the US!  

You'd think they would NOT be available to US based customers since they ARE NOT FCC Part 15 Certified.    So somehow they skirt this issue.

And I agree, with all the posts, raves and compliments about the EDM from the Majority of the folks here on the forums, it is the best unit to go with.  So I'm taking everyones advice and buying an EDM myself.   I've seen EDM's recommended at least 9 to 1 over any others here.   And I've been watching the comments about them now for going on 2+ years, EDM is definitely the way to go for a great quality transmitter that can be kept to the FCC Part 15 Certification requirments.

The FCC rules are difficult to read and understand, but here are some brief facts about unlicensed (part 15) transmitters:
1. The FCC does not limit the transmit power. Instead, it limits the signal that comes from your system (transmitter + antenna) at a certain distance. That means that even if you turn your output power down very low, say 10mW, if you have a really good antenna, you will still be breaking the rules.
2. The FCC will not license (for sale) an FM transmitter that will violate the previous rule. Thus, because they must inspect the system (transmitter + antenna) to license (regisister) it, a registered system will have a built-in, or non-changeable, antenna.
3. It is not legal to sell a non-registered, ready-to-use FM broadcast transmitter. That's why the transmitters you can buy, including the Ramsey and EDM units, are sold as kits. (In my opinion, calling the EDM unit, with it's 1 (one) to (3) soldered connection and 1 IC that you must install, a kit is a stretch, but it does seem to get them around the regulations.) Some transmitters you can buy on eBay that come from China, are probably not legal to sell in the US, but the FCC doesn't have a big budget for that type of enforcement.
4. Even if you use a registered transmitter, you still must stop using it if it interferes with someone who wants to listen to a licensed (commercial broadcast) station. Since there are commercial broadcast stations on every frequency (albeit some are too far away to hear), it is always possible that someone could complain, and then you must shut down. For this reason, it is important that you don't get your neighbors angry. It's a good idea to turn your transmitter off after your show ends for the night.

enjoy

I have a HLLY transmitter. I got it 4 years ago for $100 on eBay. Shipped from Hong Kong so it was already good to go and was just plug and play. At 5W it is more powerful than it should be but I think all the FCC stuff that most people worry about is overstated.

Mine is exactly like this one but now they sell them for double the price!:shock: EEK!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HLLY-5W-TX-99A-FM-Transmitter-Top-Grade-Power-ANTENNA-/160490841650?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255dffe632
I am very happy with mine and the quality of it is unbeatable but I am not sure how much you are willing to spend.

kalifi wrote:

I have a HLLY transmitter. I got it 4 years ago for $100 on eBay. Shipped from Hong Kong so it was already good to go and was just plug and play. At 5W it is more powerful than it should be but I think all the FCC stuff that most people worry about is overstated.

Mine is exactly like this one but now they sell them for double the price!:shock: EEK!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HLLY-5W-TX-99A-FM-Transmitter-Top-Grade-Power-ANTENNA-/160490841650?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255dffe632
I am very happy with mine and the quality of it is unbeatable but I am not sure how much you are willing to spend.

Oh, Hi! I think you and Max-Paul will be bestest buddies...

Bob Hall wrote:

kalifi wrote:

Oh, Hi! I think you and Max-Paul will be bestest buddies...
My apologies for not understanding the social dynamics of this board (as I am new around here).:) I am not sure what you are saying. I generally try to be friendly/cordial to all. I was hoping to add more to the original question. Being new I hope not to ruffle feathers but to add things that have helped my display.:)

kalifi wrote:

To the items I bolded in your statement above....

Then you will enventually be in for a very rude awakening!

FCC does not play games and so far you've been lucky in the 4 years of broadcasting with an unlicensed transmitter at 5 watts of power!

You're lucky you aren't bleeding over on LICENSED stations that a neighbor usually listens too (or you are and they just haven't complained.....yet!) One complaint from a neighbor, and the FCC WILL come and check your transmitter, I seriously doubt you're just going to be told to turn it off, not being at 5 watts.

I know the FCC frowns very heavily on things like that. So you can just keep on thinking what folks think is "over-rated" all you want.

My transmitter is 500mW and that was still too much power, so I followed the sound and sage advice of folks here on the forums, and these folks are HAM OPERATORS that KNOW the rules and regulations of FCC requirements! And they helped me to tone my transmitter down to within legal parameters by using an antennuator between my antenna and the transmitter. Otherwise, I may have very well could have incurred a visit by the FCC and suffered fines of an amount I could not pay, confiscation of my equipment and loss of other things,and possibly even worse, jail time as well.

So you're deluding yourself if you think what most of us state on this forum about the FCC is "over-rated". I don't have the info readily available, but I'll bet there are a few folks here that can point you to links where a person using an overpowered transmitter had run ins with the FCC that used them for their CHRISTMAS display, I know they do, I've read them myself, and that was one of the BIGGEST and MAIN REASONS I started asking questions on how to tone down my transmitter to within the FCC Part 15 parameters as close as I could do so.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the reason Bill said you and Max-Paul will be bestest friends, is because Max-Paul either works for or directly with the FCC, and once he sees your statement, I can just about guarantee you're going to get a lecture on FCC Part 15 rules and regulations on FM transmitters. Bill and I just KNOW that your statement about the FCC being over-rated is going to open those "lecturing floodgates" from those folks in the know. Social dynamics of the forum has nothing to do with it!

So don't expect mine to be the first or last response to your "FCC is over-rated" and using a "5 watt transmiiter".

Guest Don Gillespie

Orville wrote:

kalifi wrote:

FCC does not play games and so far you've been lucky in the 4 years of broadcasting with an unlicensed transmitter at 5 watts of power!

You're lucky you aren't bleeding over on LICENSED stations that a neighbor usually listens too (or you are and they just haven't complained.....yet!) One complaint from a neighbor, and the FCC WILL come and check your transmitter, I seriously doubt you're just going to be told to turn it off, not being at 5 watts.

I know the FCC frowns very heavily on things like that. So you can just keep on thinking what folks think is "over-rated" all you want.

My transmitter is 500mW and that was still too much power, so I followed the sound and sage advice of folks here on the forums, and these folks are HAM OPERATORS that KNOW the rules and regulations of FCC requirements! And they helped me to tone my transmitter down to within legal parameters by using an antennuator between my antenna and the transmitter. Otherwise, I may have very well could have incurred a visit by the FCC and suffered fines of an amount I could not pay, confiscation of my equipment and loss of other things,and possibly even worse, jail time as well.

So you're deluding yourself if you think what most of us state on this forum about the FCC is "over-rated". I don't have the info readily available, but I'll bet there are a few folks here that can point you to links where a person using an overpowered transmitter had run ins with the FCC that used them for their CHRISTMAS display, I know they do, I've read them myself, and that was one of the BIGGEST and MAIN REASONS I started asking questions on how to tone down my transmitter to within the FCC Part 15 parameters as close as I could do so.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the reason Bill said you and Max-Paul will be bestest friends, is because Max-Paul either works for or directly with the FCC, and once he sees your statement, I can just about guarantee you're going to get a lecture on FCC Part 15 rules and regulations on FM transmitters. Bill and I just KNOW that your statement about the FCC being over-rated is going to open those "lecturing floodgates" from those folks in the know. Social dynamics of the forum has nothing to do with it!

So don't expect mine to be the first or last response to your "FCC is over-rated" and using a "5 watt transmiiter".

Ditto well said Orville

+ 15 (its a play on part 15 of the FCC rules, get it)

I know many of you are interested in this topic, but if you want to read more in detail on just how serious the FCC takes this topic, no this isn't a (I got caught and the FCC took my baby 5 watt transmitter, and your on Jerry sayin' how you were wronged by the Feds) This is how many rules their are pertaining to PART 15 just click and look and see if the FCC is concerned about unlicensed broadcasting

Or if you want it from the FCC here is a link to read and enjoy, you don't need a FCC license to understand whats written on any of these rules. if you have a question as Orville has stated many of us are HAM (Amateur Radio Operators) or like me I held a 1st class Radio Telephone Operators license since 1978, now its a General Radiotelephone Operator License (GROL) I got my 1st license when I was a Junior in High School

I also have an HLLY (1 watt). WAY more than is needed. Sound is excellent.
After reading about the FCC rules on this forum. I decided to test the range.
I didn't realize how far I was transmitting, until I was out one night with my son and tuned in. I was over a mile away and could hear it with very little static.

I went home and dialed it back immediately. Now, it only goes about 4 or 5 houses down.

LISTEN TO THE EXPERTS. They say the FCC doesn't mess around and I wouldn't want to be the one that puts that to the test.

Orville wrote:

I never said "over RATED";). I had to go look back at what I said because apparently I said something that really got you upset. It is my fault for posting late at night as it caused me to omit something...a little period before the "5w". Which also made me link to the wrong item on ebay(Which also explains why a $100 increase in what I paid seemed a little steep in just 4 years.). What I actually have is this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150369203084?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsch%2F%3F_nkw%3D150369203084%26clk_rvr_id%3D302437288382%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

A .5W transmitter that is more in line with what I paid at $120.

As I stated is still a little too powerful so I keep the antenna collapsed. I go about 8 houses down but may need to figure out how to still get the broadcast even smaller to just 3-4 houses down. I am using a channel that is "clear" and have checked locally to make sure no other stations are interrupted. I used this website to check for stations operating. http://www.radio-locator.com/ and chose a frequency that has no stations within the same range. ex: I use 89.5 and the next closest that are used is 88.7 and 90.5.

I apologize that my laziness in verifying what I was typing caused you to have such a sharply worded chastisement towards me. I too will accept your apology as I have extended mine to you.:)

Do NOT run it with the antenna collapsed as that will present a mismatch to the transmitter and can very well, even at 1/2watt, burn up the final transistor.. You would be better suited to fully extend the antenna, and place the transmitter on the floor if you want to keep the range short.

Well when you stated you had a 5 watt transmitter and the FCC being "overstated", that DID NOT upset me, I was just informing you what CAN happen if your transmitter had been operating at that 5 watt level you posted.

My transmitter is also 500mW(.5watts), and the best way to tone it down is with an 10dB attenuator between the antenna and the transmitter. I was transmitting in a FIVE mile radius on this .5mW transmitter when I first got it and tested it out.

So I bought a 10dB attenuator recommended by the Ham Ops here and now my transmitter is lucky if it can get past my backyard without breaking up, weather conditions however, do play into this, as under some conditions it still gets a little too far out (about 1 and a half blocks away before it starts breaking up), but usually it is not more than 1 to 2 houses away and just across the street in front of my house.

Also I apologioze, I did read your last word as over-rated, not over-stated, but both in the way you used overstated, would mean the same thing.

Again, it didn't upset me, I was just attempting to inform you that the FCC does not play around and that because your OP stated a 5 watt transmitter could get you into some issues. That little decimal point behind the 5 does make a big difference between 500mW (again, which is still too much power) and 5 watts.

You also stated it as "watts" in your OP, if you had said 5 milliwatts, then we'd be wondering how you were getting such a distance with so little power, as most of us would possibly consider that at .005mW. And I think you'd be lucky to even get to the street from most homes with that little power, but I'm no expert on the mW, I leave that up to the licensed Ham Ops for their insight and information.

I'm sorry you took my post to be admonishing, that WAS NOT and NEVER WAS it's intent. It was to educate from the experiences I have gotten from others here on this forum.

Believe me, you aren't the first to get such a response, I've had more than my share of admonishments here, as well as a few other things that upset me, which your post never upset me, I was just trying to inform someone whom I thought may be misinformed and that's how I took your post with the FCC over-stated comment.

But I'm not going to get into that or those admonishment posts I've gotten here, they're done and over with. And we go on to bigger and better things, sometimes learning can be a painful experience.

I only mentioned them to show you, the written word, if posted in some manner, can get you into issues or responses such as my response to you in the above.

And beleive me, sometimes I still find myself down the rabbit hole after making a post and someone didn't read or take it as it was intended.

It's just not the same as chatting in person.

So sometimes you're going to receive such repsonses here, maybe not from me, but from others here.

So again, my post was not meant to admonish or diminish, only to give you information, nothing more and nothing less.

BTW: As TJ stated above, NEVER run your transmitter with the antenna NOT FULLY EXTENDED, you can actually do severe damage to your transmitters output transistors, rendering the transmitter useless. What you need is an attnenuator, and since you say yours is 500mW(.5w), here is the one I used on mine:

10db 50-Ohm/1 Watt Feedthrough Attenuator Terminator $9.95¢
http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=16547+TE

Currently shows they have 4 left, but I do beleive they have a minimum order of $19.95¢. I ended up buying two of them and sold the second one, but I also bought a few other items from them that I could use.

But it has been the best $9.95¢ I ever spent to keep my MBB Eclipse 4000 within the FCC's Part 15 parameters.

Best of luck to you.

BTW2: Here's a photo of what the attenuator I use looks like:

Attached files 297730=16448-10dB-Attenuator.jpg

kalifi wrote:

Thanks Orville you are awesome. I will look into that attenuator...and I did not know the term millewatt? so I usually just say .5Watt.;)

You're welcome. Glad to be of help when I can.

As for the term milliwatt, I know the term only because I worked in the Electronics industry for over 40+ years before becoming disabled, and also from the Ham Ops here on the forums who can much better explain the term than I can.

But usually Part 15 FCC items, such as Walkie Talkies, RC Toys and our FM Transmitters all work in the milliwatt range.

Here's the short and sweet definition of milliwatt:

http://www.bing.com/Dictionary/search?q=define+milliwatt&FORM=DTPDIA

I'm sure the Ham Ops here could probably expand on that definition with a lot more insight. Since I've been out of the loop (electronics industry) now for well over 10 years, definitions and other things change. But in the Electro-Mechanical field, it's a never ending change, things continue to improve and get better (although sometimes we think they get worse. LOL).

Orville wrote:

kalifi wrote:
Thanks Orville you are awesome. I will look into that attenuator...and I did not know the term millewatt? so I usually just say .5Watt.:D

You're welcome. Glad to be of help when I can.

As for the term milliwatt, I know the term only because I worked in the Electronics industry for over 40+ years before becoming disabled, and also from the Ham Ops here on the forums who can much better explain the term than I can.

But usually Part 15 FCC items, such as Walkie Talkies, RC Toys and our FM Transmitters all work in the milliwatt range.

Here's the short and sweet definition of milliwatt:

http://www.bing.com/Dictionary/search?q=define+milliwatt&FORM=DTPDIA

I'm sure the Ham Ops here could probably expand on that definition with a lot more insight. Since I've been out of the loop (electronics industry) now for well over 10 years, definitions and other things change. But in the Electro-Mechanical field, it's a never ending change, things continue to improve and get better (although sometimes we think they get worse. LOL).

"milli-" is the prefix for indicating "one thousandth". Used in the metric system for measurement. It is not an electrical concept per se. Mille is the Latin term for "thousand," as in millennium, from which it is derived.

millimeter = one thousandth of a meter.
milliampere
milliliter
milligram
milli vanilli

Shoot!!! Thought I would have more bear bait to keep FCC tied up with some other smuck.

Hey surfing, now what is this "milli vanilli"? Is this some kind of drink? Small correction, milli = 1 thousands or .oo1

Max-Paul wrote:

Small correction, milli = 1 thousands or .oo1

Maybe that is how you say it in Missouri, but the rest of the world says "thousandth." :D

Just like centi- is one hundredth and deci- is one tenth.

Max-Paul wrote:

Shoot!!! Thought I would have more bear bait to keep FCC tied up with some other smuck.

Hey surfing, now what is this "milli vanilli"? Is this some kind of drink? Small correction, milli = 1 thousands or .oo1

I think that's what a few of us may have been thinking at first too.:D

Well Jeff said the "milli vanilli",

Who was Milli Vanilli, they were a singing group back in the 80's that DIDN'T really sing, but lip synched and if I recall there was a lot of controversy over that issue.

They got caught lip synching a song on National TV no less, and they constantly did Lip Synching to others songs. They had made a name for themselves as a singing group until the lip synching finally got found out to be true, they were busted for it, and their fans turned against them. They were the only singing group that ever won a Grammy and HAD TO RETURN IT!

They finally broke up years later.

Here's a link to an Urban Dictionary that details everything about Milli Vanilli:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=milli%20vanilli

And here's a video of the shyster lip synching fakers on YouTube:

Now you know who Milli Vanilli is and was.