Light-O-Rama Forums

Transmitter???

Wynell Lewis

Greetings from the south,

Had a GREAT season, but I'm looking at purchasing a new transmitter for my show next year. Anyone know of a good one that is reasonably priced?

Thanks.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Surfing4Dough

• Max-Paul

• PMC

• CKSedg

reasonable.ie only having to spend hard earned money once not twice as in i bought brand x boy what a mistake that was can t hear it one house away nuff said

Reasonable for me would be less than $1,000.

Is the EDM assembled and ready to go, I don't do the soldering and all that stuff....

Wynell Lewis wrote:

Is the EDM assembled and ready to go, I don't do the soldering and all that stuff....

Then you will be in good shape with an EDM. 3 cakewalk solder points and that is it.

Wynell Lewis wrote:

No, all EDM units require soldering of some kind, and depending on the unit purchased, some a lot less than others. I know the one I'm buying I will have to solder the power connector on the board, 3 small solder connections and that's it.

Don't recall the model off-hand and since the site is down until 1/9/2012, can't really go and look.

But I'm sure someone knows which model this one is.

But soldering 3 points like that isn't all that difficult, unlike doing a full kit or even one that requires adding several components.

the reason why you have to solder is because the FCC rules makes it clear if the unit is fully assembled it has to be within Part 15 specs to be sold in the USA and if you "solder" just one connection that's considered a kit and it can be sold in the USA as such, and you are now responsible to make that unit Part 15 compliant not the manufacturer

Some get lucky with cheap transmitters, but nobody has anything bad to say about EDM, Best sound, best specs for the money. I posted this in another thread:
Mwhite7097 wrote:

This year has been amazing and I would like to share a story also. I normally stay inside during shows, but one show, I could hear the music playing very loudly outside. My house is over 200' from the road. So I went out to investigate why they were playing it so loud. To my surprise, the car windows were rolled up and it was still very loud. The parents were outside the car and a small girl was inside. As I walked up to ask them to turn it down a bit, they explained that the girl was deaf and by turning it up loud, she can "feel the music" from the bass beats. It turns out that they were at the show before and she couldn't wait to go again. I think I may have made it into the house before the floodgates opened up but I am not sure. If anyone of you decorators get to wondering why we do this, well, I found my reason this year!
Godbless everyone who has answered any of my dumb questions here or helped me accomplish this. Merry Christmas!

This sounds like THE best reason to get an EDM transmitter! Terrific story.

PLEASE just do it right the first time and buy and EDM. The soldering points (3 on the one I bought) are so simple that really I think my 8 year old grandsons could do it.

I bought another brand that I used for two years and it was, in one word: AWFUL. I love the EDM. It is small, yet powerful, and has great quality sound.

EDM--enough said!

PMC wrote:

the reason why you have to solder is because the FCC rules makes it clear if the unit is fully assembled it has to be within Part 15 specs to be sold in the USA and if you "solder" just one connection that's considered a kit and it can be sold in the USA as such, and you are now responsible to make that unit Part 15 compliant not the manufacturer

That's what I find very interesting PMC, the fully assembled units being sold, such as my MBB Eclipse 4000 IS NOT FCC Certified, yet it is sold in the US FULLY ASSEMBLED (or shall we say, it was, that model has been discontinued). But it does make me wonder strongly how some "American companies in the US" can sell these completed units and NOT have been FCC Part 15 Certified and get out the door in the US!

You'd think they would NOT be available to US based customers since they ARE NOT FCC Part 15 Certified. So somehow they skirt this issue.

And I agree, with all the posts, raves and compliments about the EDM from the Majority of the folks here on the forums, it is the best unit to go with. So I'm taking everyones advice and buying an EDM myself. I've seen EDM's recommended at least 9 to 1 over any others here. And I've been watching the comments about them now for going on 2+ years, EDM is definitely the way to go for a great quality transmitter that can be kept to the FCC Part 15 Certification requirments.

Just to clarify, EDMs are not part 15 certified, hence the reason they are in "kit" form, and the FCC leaves a wide window for what defines a "kit". EDM feels they meet that definition by requiring you to solder one part, and insert a chip.

And yes, I'm also in the camp of satisfied EDM owners.

The only transmitters I have ever seen that ARE Part 15 FCC Certified are the ones you buy at Wal-Mart for around $15-$30 that plug directly into your cigarette lighter for use in a vehicle, and usually won't transmit further than maybe 3-5 feet if that.

Others I have looked at on line were EXTREMELY EXPEN$IVE, I'm not talkig $100-$200 here either, I'm talking anywhere from $2,000 upwards to $50,000+! And these usually don't have any more power or features than these "low cost" ones we purhcase, only difference is they come with a label on them that defines them as "FCC Part 15 Certified" and their range is most often limited.

Must cost a small fortune to have an transmitter "FCC certified" is all I can say.

EDIT/ADDENDUM: When I was first searching for "FCC Part 15 Certified", those were the prices I was finding for FCC Certified transmitters .

Just did a search and I have found several FCC certified ones that are now less than $100.00, but can't say how good or bad they are. Most are usually within the $400-$500 price range.

Here's one for $59.95 called FM Trasnmitter 2 by C Crane that seems to have some nice features too. The Transmitter has a side mount thumbwheel which allows you to adjust the input for perfect audio quality and an LED indicator for overload, telescopic antenna is built into the unit, freq range is from 88.3-107.7. Comes with AC Adapter or can be used with 2 AA batteries. FCC Compliant.

And the range, well not that good: Most of our customers achieve 40 - 70 feet depending on their situation.

But that is usually the normal range I find on just about all the in-home use type of Part 15 FCC Certified transmitters.

http://www.ccrane.com/radios/fm-transmitters/fm-transmitter-2.aspx

I purchased a .5w whole house fail safe blah blah unit. For the price is does a great job, no flaws, stereo output. I just went to the website I purchased it from, and its gone. If this one fails me Ill be jumping up to the EDM, but for now this one works for a good 1500 feet you can get an idea of the song, at 500 feet its clear. This is not a place to try and be cheap, look at reviews, make sure it will have the range to carry as far as you need it to go.