Light-O-Rama Forums

Double sided rgb strips?

harrison0550

Sweet! Sounds like a plan to me, I'm always open to suggestions especially from someone who has had success with a product in the past. I will be placing an order with Ray tomorrow so I will add one of these strips to the list to give it a try.

So far I'm planning 4 sandevices e681's with 5m 2801 strips from Ray on the pixel side of things along with some 2801 pixel strings.

On the dumb strips I'm planning on using the Martin E1.31 to DMX bridge that Jeff mentioned above for control of the little 3 channel DMX models and various other RGB elements.

Have you looked at the 2811 strip, its silicone tube, has great quality, i got 12 strips and all worked great without any flaws. I actually found it very hard to tell the quality differences between a CCR and the 2811 strip.

The great thing about this strip is the dirty cheap price, at $36 for a 5 metre strip its really hard to go past.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-led-digital-strip-DC12V-input-WS2811IC-256-scale-10pcs-IC-and-30pcs-5050-SMD-RGB/701799_568458133.html

The 2811 strip has the same dimming properties as the 2801, but is a 3 wire strip instead of a 4 wire strip. The 2811 also has a spec of being able to get up to 20 metres between pixels (untested but its in the specs) and it also works with the e681.

So just something to maybe consider as it will give you a lot more bang for your buck

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• harrison0550

• beeiilll

• edvas69

• Steven

WOW! That is awesome. See now that is exactly why I've been laying dormant the past few months waiting to see what all comes out before finalizing my plans for this year. Thank you for the tips.

Any recommendations on pixel strings? Have been considering a pixel based mega tree as well this year but cost wise last time I priced it was going to be a little more than I had budgeted for this year.

Also have you seen any other DIY boards out there along the lines of Martins E1.31 to DMX bridge or the Lynx ether dongle? I figured there would be more options out by now but the forums have been almost dead around here the last few months.

Have you looked at the 2811 strip, its silicone tube, has great quality, i got 12 strips and all worked great without any flaws. I actually found it very hard to tell the quality differences between a CCR and the 2811 strip.

The great thing about this strip is the dirty cheap price, at $36 for a 5 metre strip its really hard to go past.

http://www.aliexpres..._568458133.html

The 2811 strip has the same dimming properties as the 2801, but is a 3 wire strip instead of a 4 wire strip. The 2811 also has a spec of being able to get up to 20 metres between pixels (untested but its in the specs) and it also works with the e681.

So just something to maybe consider as it will give you a lot more bang for your buck

I would like to add op anyone reading this that even though the 2811 strip is cheap its actually hard to compare value with the CCR as the CCR is a complete plug in system with strong warranty and support. But if your going down the DIY path then this is a good consideration.

Can someone explain the spec on this or what this means

*With 10paths driver IC inside to drive 10 pixels.

Is this per strip?

I'd say that its just either bad English or different bits were copied from different sentences because in RGB terms that dosen't make sense. Although, a link to the product you're looking at wouldn't go amiss (just so I can make sure :)).

Edited by spomalley

• 2 months later...

**Bump** haha

Hey I just bought 65 meters of RGB tape strips!!

5 meter rolls, at 16.4ft each, I am doing the spiral tree this as mentioned on page 3 of this topic.

My large trees are 45ft (measuring along the spirals). I am getting the 3 channel controller from Holiday Coro.

These strips each came with a 12V 5A power supply so I have 13 of them.

Questions:

1. Do I still need separate power supply's from H.Coro or will these just power the controller and the strips?

2. I will be connecting about 3 of the 5 meter rolls for the large trees, so would I need to get 2 DMX controllers for the 1 tree? Also, if so, would I need to power supply's per tree?

Thanks for your help guys!!!

• The topic was locked