Light-O-Rama Forums

So who is still using S2 and didn't upgrade to S3?

Guest guest

caniac wrote:

FWIW, I am not meaning to come across as bashing anyone. Just felt Orville was being attacked for being cheap when all he asked is a simple question.

So are you saying that Orville is cheap?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JBullard

• caniac

• jimswinder

• bob

Top Posters In This Topic

Donny M. Carter wrote:

caniac wrote:
FWIW, I am not meaning to come across as bashing anyone. Just felt Orville was being attacked for being cheap when all he asked is a simple question.

oh boy..a double feature!!

Attached files 277191=15349-1sm213sharepopcorn.gif

Donny M. Carter wrote:

caniac wrote:

Not in the least, just the person attacking made a comment about him spending the $30 to upgrade. I took that as that particular person insinuating that which isn't for any of us to judge.

jimswinder wrote:

Donny M. Carter wrote:
caniac wrote:

oh boy..a double feature!!

How am I doing? Do I need to be cut?

caniac wrote:

bob wrote:
It is normal to ASSUME that S3 was thoroughly tested and was released with NO bugs.

It may be normal to assume that, but it is not a good assumption to make. There has never been a version of LOR software that has not contained bugs. Frankly, I suspect that there never will be.

You know that and I know that but most folks "assume" that it is perfect. I have been in the IT industry for 30+ years so yes I am well aware of that BUT you don't need to bash someone for being curious about it. In your arena and mine 1 bug in 10,000 installs is a great record but to that one person it is one too many.

To perhaps clarify what I was saying: I did not intend to bash anyone. I was merely attempting to cut down on unrealistic expectations of 100% bug-free software, if in fact anybody does expect that.

bob wrote:

caniac wrote:
bob wrote:
It is normal to ASSUME that S3 was thoroughly tested and was released with NO bugs.

It may be normal to assume that, but it is not a good assumption to make. There has never been a version of LOR software that has not contained bugs. Frankly, I suspect that there never will be.

You know that and I know that but most folks "assume" that it is perfect. I have been in the IT industry for 30+ years so yes I am well aware of that BUT you don't need to bash someone for being curious about it. In your arena and mine 1 bug in 10,000 installs is a great record but to that one person it is one too many.

To perhaps clarify what I was saying: I did not intend to bash anyone. I was merely attempting to cut down on unrealistic expectations of 100% bug-free software, if in fact anybody does expect that.
you are preaching to the choir, I started with PC's using DOS 2.0 and pretty much everything MicroSlouch has thrown at it since. Have made a living putting out fires on mainframes and mid-ranges. But as we both know there are folks out there that expect perfection and IMO that ain't attainable. For every logical way we write code there is a user that has found an illogical way to use it. It is what keeps us employed.

caniac wrote:

You know that and I know that but most folks "assume" that it is perfect. I have been in the IT industry for 30+ years so yes I am well aware of that BUT you don't need to bash someone for being curious about it.

I think Bob thought that you meant that HE was bashing Orville by what you said...

jimswinder wrote:

caniac wrote:
You know that and I know that but most folks "assume" that it is perfect. I have been in the IT industry for 30+ years so yes I am well aware of that BUT you don't need to bash someone for being curious about it.

I think Bob thought that you meant that HE was bashing Orville by what you said...
Sorry Bob, I know you weren't bashing him!!

I think Orville is catching a lot of grief

The original question was posed as a matter of opponion - And EVERYONE has an opponion (this post has mine)

Even though I dont feel the same way orville may about S3, I think its just fine to have an opponion and ask if others feel similarly.

I think some people reading the posts may have miss read / mis interperated some statments, and got verry deffensive - they are deffending the software and the people that slaved over making it.

Writing code is sometimes like raising a child - no parent ever wants to hear someone talking smack about there kid.

S3 is many peoples baby - I'm sure orvile didnt realize how some statments might be read.

A lot of people got really worked up, really quick.
We should all have take a breather, and go hang some lights.

Orville - I hope your work situation improves soon, and wish you and your family the best.

gizmomkr wrote:

I think Orville is catching a lot of grief

The original question was posed as a matter of opponion - And EVERYONE has an opponion (this post has mine)

Even though I dont feel the same way orville may about S3, I think its just fine to have an opponion and ask if others feel similarly.

I think some people reading the posts may have miss read / mis interperated some statments, and got verry deffensive - they are deffending the software and the people that slaved over making it.

Writing code is sometimes like raising a child - no parent ever wants to hear someone talking smack about there kid.

S3 is many peoples baby - I'm sure orvile didnt realize how some statments might be read.

A lot of people got really worked up, really quick.
We should all have take a breather, and go hang some lights.

Orville - I hope your work situation improves soon, and wish you and your family the best.
What he said!