Light-O-Rama Forums

So who is still using S2 and didn't upgrade to S3?

Guest guest

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JBullard

• caniac

• jimswinder

• bob

Top Posters In This Topic

Still doing S2 was hoping someone would pay for my upgrade too. ohh and i need an FM transmitter ohh and more extension cords ohh and lights and....it does not end

doug petschke wrote:

Still doing S2 was hoping someone would pay for my upgrade too. ohh and i need an FM transmitter ohh and more extension cords ohh and lights and....it does not end

If never endin' spendin' is a problem, get out now. ; )

I havn't upgraded yet. figured I'm locked and loaded for this year. all my sequences are done. so after the new year. Thats when I'll start playing with s3. my shows works and I'm setup to go with what I got. making the lights blink is what really matters.:cool:

My post starts with the question of will I actually click "post reply", or back? Does my $0.02 really add anything to the understanding of why this post feels so inflammatory to people? If so, can that understanding help us put this post behind us?

I guess there is a third option.. I could just delete rest of what I wrote, then click post...

Orville wrote:

I NEVER SAID S3 WAS JUNK!

I AM SO SICK AND TIRED OF PEOPLE PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH I NEVER STATED -OR- IMPLIED!

WITH STATEMENTS SUCH AS THAT I NEVER, NOT EVER, WOULD HAVE BOUGHT ANY CONTROLLERS OR ANY OTHER HARDWARE FROM LOR, NOR WOULD I BE RECOMMENDING IT TO OTHERS ON A FREQUENT BASIS!

Orville, take it easy... Don't let folks comments get under your skin...

It's just a hobby when all is said and done....

We understand you are upset, but no one wants you to have a heart attack over this!

Greg Young wrote:

Orville, take it easy... Don't let folks comments get under your skin...

We understand you are upset,
but no one wants you to have a heart attack over this!

Post of the week!

Wow... tough crowd!!! :shock:

evan.a wrote:

I havn't upgraded yet. figured I'm locked and loaded for this year. all my sequences are done. so after the new year. Thats when I'll start playing with s3. my shows works and I'm setup to go with what I got. making the lights blink is what really matters.:cool:

110% this.

I put s3 on my laptop but I'll be running s2 on the show computer thru the new year. I have to be honest, I like s2, I'm comfortable with s2, s2 hasn't brought "man, I wish xxxxxxx was better" or "man, I wish s2 did xxxxxx" to my lips so I'll just happily blinky-flashy away in 2011 with... s2 of course. :P

Greg Young wrote:

We understand you are upset, but no one wants you to have a heart attack over this!

I want to thank Greg for saying what the rest of us were thinking.

Seriously Orville, Clay, you had to know your post would cause some of the villagers to grab their pitchforks. Personally, I opted to grab a big bowl of popcorn :P

rwertz wrote:

Greg Young wrote:

I want to thank Greg for saying what the rest of us were thinking.

Seriously Orville, Clay, you had to know your post would cause some of the villagers to grab their pitchforks. Personally, I opted to grab a big bowl of popcorn :P
I also want to thank Greg for saying what the rest of us were thinking.

Seriously Orville, Clay, you had to know your post would cause some of the villagers to grab their pitchforks. Personally, I opted to grab a big bowl of popcorn & Hot Coco :P

JBullard wrote:

Some of you may be old enough to remember George Burns and Gracie Allen. On one of their old TV shows, Gracie made this statement:

Almost everything I know, I learned from talking to myself about things that I knew nothing about.

Kind of reminds me of someone else!
I have kept quiet about this but now enough is enough, you are being UNUSUALLY HARSH to someone for no real apparent reason at all other than you can. In the context of all things internet you DO NOT know the vocal inflections made when Orville made his original post. You don't know if he was serious, curious, angry, or just joking! You are jumping to conclusions and bashing him for it.

The questions he asked were innocent enough if you keep things in context. It is normal to ASSUME that S3 was thoroughly tested and was released with NO bugs. Those of us with experience with Microsoft over the years know better but not everyone has those experience.

As has been posted their are a few issues with S3, are they major? Depends on whether or not you use that function. The only thing that changed for me and the way I use it is the title bar instead of saying "2.9.2" now says "3.0.2".

Judging someone as being "cheap" for not spending $30 this second is way out of line. Unless you know that person personally it isn't your place to judge why they won't spend $30 now but might spend it in January.

This is suppose to be a place to help folks out, NOT TEAR THEM DOWN!!

I put s3 on my laptop but I'll be running s2 on the show computer thru the new year.

Warning: This is not necessarily a good idea.

If you change a file using S3, it is possible that S2 will not be able to understand that file. Barring bugs, a newer version of software should be able to use a sequence that has been modified by an older version of software just fine, but we make no such guarantee for an older version of software attempting to use a sequence that has been modified by a newer version of software. It's possible that it won't fully understand the newer file, or even that it won't be able to open the newer file at all.

For this reason, we always strongly recommend using the same version of software on all computers. If you don't want to use S3 on your show computer, then we strongly recommend not using S3 on any computer (with the possible exception of just to try it out, of course - but not to actually use it in conjunction with your show computer).

It is normal to ASSUME that S3 was thoroughly tested and was released with NO bugs.

It may be normal to assume that, but it is not a good assumption to make. There has never been a version of LOR software that has not contained bugs. Frankly, I suspect that there never will be.

bob wrote:

I put s3 on my laptop but I'll be running s2 on the show computer thru the new year.

Warning: This is not necessarily a good idea.

If you change a file using S3, it is possible that S2 will not be able to understand that file. Barring bugs, a newer version of software should be able to use a sequence that has been modified by an older version of software just fine, but we make no such guarantee for an older version of software attempting to use a sequence that has been modified by a newer version of software. It's possible that it won't fully understand the newer file, or even that it won't be able to open the newer file at all.

For this reason, we always strongly recommend using the same version of software on all computers. If you don't want to use S3 on your show computer, then we strongly recommend not using S3 on any computer (with the possible exception of just to try it out, of course - but not to actually use it in conjunction with your show computer).

Thanks for the warning. In my case I copied all my sequences to a S3 folder just to play with them. Nothing I'm doing on the laptop will leave the laptop... until next year maybe. :P

Thanks again.

bob wrote:

It is normal to ASSUME that S3 was thoroughly tested and was released with NO bugs.

It may be normal to assume that, but it is not a good assumption to make. There has never been a version of LOR software that has not contained bugs. Frankly, I suspect that there never will be.

You know that and I know that but most folks "assume" that it is perfect. I have been in the IT industry for 30+ years so yes I am well aware of that BUT you don't need to bash someone for being curious about it. In your arena and mine 1 bug in 10,000 installs is a great record but to that one person it is one too many.

FWIW, I am not meaning to come across as bashing anyone. Just felt Orville was being attacked for being cheap when all he asked is a simple question.