Light-O-Rama Forums

So who is still using S2 and didn't upgrade to S3?

Guest guest

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JBullard

• caniac

• jimswinder

• bob

Top Posters In This Topic

DonFL wrote:

But Chicken Little was using 3.0.2 when the sky did fall.

I rest my case.

I firmly believe if I had been using S3 last year...my Weber Tree would have not fallen over!!!! :shock:

32 songs so far since August 1st with S3. It is all about the tools not quirks.

I have found that as I use the tools, I learn new ways which allow me to skip around anything I find that I don't know/understand or like.

I haven't used Superstar yet, so don't know about that.

Loving programming life with S3. Mike/Bob/Dan are very dedicated pros. We are all very lucky to have this team supporting our fun.

Use the tools and use the support.

Charles

jimswinder wrote:

DonFL wrote:

I rest my case.

I firmly believe if I had been using S3 last year...my Weber Tree would have not fallen over!!!! :shock:

S3 may be incredible software, but lets not give it too much credit...:P:P:P

Progress requires change (and willingness to change)

At some point in time getting a headache meant having a hole drilled in your head to let the deamons out.

I'd rather have S3 than a hole in my head.
I did buy S3 (I mostly did it for Enttec DMX support)

My advise :
Keep an open mind, and roll with the punches.

Software will always be an evolution, things will always develop and change. There are sometimes bugs, and things always get worked out.

I had nothing to do with developing or testing S3, but I'm sure its not PERFECT. But it is working great for me, and I'm thrilled to have it and forever greatfull to the hours and hours that were spent writing the code.

As for the locked up pc - I didnt read the thread, but if your going to complain about speed or stability, you should have a decent hardware platform. You shouldnt complain when you run an app on the bare minimum spec. S3 has performed wonderfully on my day to day desktop and laptop (multi code CPU's with plenty of ram). My show pc is an older P4 3Ghz with 1Gb Ram - I have not had any issues with it, but if I did, I wouldnt think twice about throwing it out for a dual core.

Now, I did get a flat tire the other day, and Its entirely S3's fault!

jimswinder wrote:

DonFL wrote:

I rest my case.

I firmly believe if I had been using S3 last year...my Weber Tree would have not fallen over!!!!   :shock:

I upgraded to S3, and I love it! The Visualiser and the wizards to build the props, also being able to group the channels, it all adds up to a very strong software suite. I was fortunate that I was eligible for the free upgrade having purchased my S2 license less than a year ago. However, if I hadn't, I would have still upgraded.

I have not upgraded to S3 because when I due, I want to take my time and understand what it is all about and to include SS with it. I think that most of the problems that are being posted is a lack of understanding the operation of the programs. If you look at some of the posts some of these people never used S2, so I think some of the questions would have been ask anyway weather it be S2 or S3. Another reason I have not updated is I'm not sure that my computer (an old HP with XP) will run S3, SS and the new Vis the way it was intended to be run.
Earle

goduke21 wrote:

I have had S3 since it was released and never experienced one problem. Tweaked 14 songs and have 144 channels and 4 ccr's. I love the new visualizer and the new channel grouping. No offense to anybody here but if you don't have $30 to spend then you are in the wrong hobby.

No I'm NOT in the wrong hobby, JUST UNEMPLOYED. The person I had been working with doing photo work took very ill and everything is at a standstill currently. He has been out of commission for almost 3+ months now and won't be able to resume his work for at least another 2 or 3 months, otherwise upgrading costs would not have been an issue.

And my wife being ill has not helped either, those health issues come as a priority. There are reasons one may not have $30 extra to put out, if my license had been valid for S3, chances are I would have upgraded, but my year was up in February 2011 and currently finances do not support much in adding anything to my hobby, that and I'm currently living in an apartment and see no need on buying items that I can't use (like extra lights, mega tree, etc. for example).

When we can get back into a house, things will start improving, but not until my wife starts getting her disability. And I have a hearing for that in December myself due to my vision issues.

So there are an assortment of reasons why I am NOT upgrading at this time, just one of them has been I wait and see if others have issues before upgrading and I've seen several threads here that say some have, so I'll wait it out a little longer. Whether or not that is a misunderstanding of the software, I'll wait that out and see, it may or it may not be.

Never said I WAS NOT going to upgrade, I fully intend to. But health and family come before ANY HOBBY SPENDING PERIOD! I use what I have and that's it for the time being.

I NEVER SAID S3 WAS JUNK!

I AM SO SICK AND TIRED OF PEOPLE PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH I NEVER STATED -OR- IMPLIED!

WITH STATEMENTS SUCH AS THAT I NEVER, NOT EVER, WOULD HAVE BOUGHT ANY CONTROLLERS OR ANY OTHER HARDWARE FROM LOR, NOR WOULD I BE RECOMMENDING IT TO OTHERS ON A FREQUENT BASIS!

Guest Don Gillespie

I have not yet upgraded to S3 will do this in the new year when I can sit by the pool for a month and play with the new tools, but for now I will check this thread to see how the can o worms is coming along :)

The can of worms was opened with the first post.

When you ask for opinions, you need to be willing to take them, whether they agree or disagree with your original offered opinion.

We've been down this road before...there are several topics on this board that require a thick skin when discussed. This is one of them.

Uograded to S3 on the playback laptop. Not yet on the sequence editing desktop. Why? Too close to deadline to be fooling around with new software!:)

I wasn't going to write on this thread, because it has been so inflammatory; however, I feel compelled to say something. I will NOT take sides on this issue, but here is my comment:

When I was in school, I think elementary school, there was a place on the report card for the teacher to rate us on "Works and plays well with others." The teacher would rate us 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5, with one being the best.

This is just a plea to everyone to "work and play well" with each other. We don't need the kind of postings that inflame each other. I love this forum to learn and understand this hobby, and would appreciate it if we keep it that way.

Again, I'm not taking sides in any way here, and I'm really not chastising anyone; I just don't think it accomplishes anything to lash out at each other on the forums.

Thanks for your indulgence in reading another view!

Now to comment on the original question:

I, too, have really enjoyed S3. It makes programming easier, includes a great visualizer, and I have had no problems at all. I'm glad I made the change.

CKSedg wrote:

When I was in school, I think elementary school, there was a place on the report card for the teacher to rate us on "Works and plays well with others." The teacher would rate us 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5, with one being the best.

I couldn't help but notice that you CONVENIENTLY left out what score the teacher gave you...

:)

jimswinder wrote:

CKSedg wrote:

I couldn't help but notice that you CONVENIENTLY left out what score the teacher gave you...

:P

That was funny! Yes, that was pretty convenient of me, wasn't it? I'm not sure I remember my score, to tell you the truth; but I was a pretty timid child back then, so I don't suppose I caused many problems. Also, my mom and dad were both teachers, so I didn't dare act out in school, or I would have caught their wrath at home.

CKSedg wrote:

I wasn't going to write on this thread, because it has been so inflammatory; however, I feel compelled to say something.  I will NOT take sides on this issue, but here is my comment:

When I was in school, I think elementary school, there was a place on the report card for the teacher to rate us on "Works and plays well with others."  The teacher would rate us 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5, with one being the best.

This is just a plea to everyone to "work and play well" with each other.  We don't need the kind of postings that inflame each other.  I love this forum to learn and understand this hobby, and would appreciate it if we keep it that way.

Again, I'm not taking sides in any way here, and I'm really not chastising anyone; I just don't think it accomplishes anything to lash out at each other on the forums.

Thanks for your indulgence in reading another view!

+1

Orv, I personally didn't see anything wrong with the way you posted this thread. It seemed like you were trying to avoid having this thread go down this road.

I'm in favor of admin closing this thread, before it gets worse.