Light-O-Rama Forums

Halloween 2011 Videos

CLD Kevin

Kevin,
How about a video showing all the pieces you used to create the show or a gathering of us local So Cal folk to talk about the new lights?

I used your 2009 single pumpkin design this year and am ready to move up to RGB/CCR.
Steve in Vista

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CLD Kevin

• miaskiewicz christian

• boborino

• caniac

Yep!!! That was me!

We had over 2000 trick or treaters hit our door and thousands trying to get into our neighborhood! We were not prepared for such a rush of people! :shock: I am sad that the police did not help us out just a little. Hell, we were less than an hour from our show being finished. :P We were not the ones with the loud music! Actually the music was very low on Monday. A couple of people got a little loud on Sunday with the music but nothing happened then. (I run off a fm transmitter)

We will be better prepared next year if I do a show. I am still on the fence because my neighborhood has a very long stick up its @$$ and I am not going to spend the time and money to only have it shut down.

Kevin, kudos to your community for pulling for you and helping you pull off something magical! My community pulled my plug! :X

Tracy West wrote:

Yep!!! That was me!

We had over 2000 trick or treaters hit our door and thousands trying to get into our neighborhood! We were not prepared for such a rush of people! :shock: I am sad that the police did not help us out just a little. Hell, we were less than an hour from our show being finished. :P We were not the ones with the loud music! Actually the music was very low on Monday. A couple of people got a little loud on Sunday with the music but nothing happened then. (I run off a fm transmitter)

We will be better prepared next year if I do a show. I am still on the fence because my neighborhood has a very long stick up its @$$ and I am not going to spend the time and money to only have it shut down.

Kevin, kudos to your community for pulling for you and helping you pull off something magical! My community pulled my plug! :X
is it possible to get a permit to close off the street for Halloween?

I am going to check into a permit and talk to the police and city council about options, but I have a feeling I know the neighbor who called in the complaint and I don't think a permit is going to be the answer to my problem. :P

Tracy West wrote:

I am going to check into a permit and talk to the police and city council about options, but I have a feeling I know the neighbor who called in the complaint and I don't think a permit is going to be the answer to my problem. :P

If you can get a permit it may not matter what the neighbor thinks or says!

Tracy West wrote:

I am going to check into a permit and talk to the police and city council about options, but I have a feeling I know the neighbor who called in the complaint and I don't think a permit is going to be the answer to my problem. :(

by the way, the frozen 16oz bottles of water/drain pipe chiller I made worked beautifully. Minor wind issues but such is life.

Awesome job Kevin...I have a few questions. How did you mount your RGBs.?? Did you have to cut the strips when making a 90.?? could you send me a link to your build.? RGB setup.?

Thanks mark

Awesome show! Were you using any diffusers on you rgb strips? You may have changed my mind as to which methots I was going to outline my house in the future. I was trying to decide between rectangles, squares, nodes, or strips.

Cracker wrote:

Here is my first video for 2011.

As I mention before, I did a big switch this year. I've decided to increase the number of my viewers on youtube from around 300 000 to 7 000 000 and to have at my house the band I was synchronizing my lights to.
Kevin

:D Kevin you're the :dude:

Cracker wrote:

Here is my first video for 2011.

As I mention before, I did a big switch this year. I've decided to increase the number of my viewers on youtube from around 300 000 to 7 000 000 and to have at my house the band I was synchronizing my lights to.
Kevin

:D Kevin you're the :dude:

evan.a wrote:

sorry Kevin, not only your sequence are stolen. so is your display.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjkXAymtpw8&feature=related

Thanks for the catch. It is from last year video and many people do copy and repost on thier youtube channel. I'm not sure why except to make money. This person had ads and links in the video so most likely they were getting some type of monies. I do not like that part where others copy and then make money off our creation. All my video are copyrighted for this reason (video only...not audio) and I emailed this person and asked to have the video removed...which he did. Some I emailed to remove and either dont respond (most) or flat out tell me NO becuz they are making money. In this case, I contact Youtube Copyrights and report them for Copyright Infringement. It take a while for Youtube to respond and do anything. Some of you may think I'm taking that too far, but I feel if I created it...I own it and others should not be making a profit off it. I dont post ads on my videos for profit...neither should anyone else. But maybe I should to pay for additional controllers?

Kevin

Ah.. I guess I missed the part about someone else posting it as their own. I guess there are leaches out there in all facets of life.

That being said, in the end, I think LOR should give Kevin a kick-back from any new sales that were generated since his video stardom! I do have a ton of more people asking me about it since all this went down. It will be interesting to see if the traffic flow increases dramatically this Christmas.

Cracker wrote:

evan.a wrote:
sorry Kevin, not only your sequence are stolen. so is your display.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjkXAymtpw8&feature=related

Thanks for the catch. It is from last year video and many people do copy and repost on their youtube channel. I'm not sure why except to make money. This person had ads and links in the video so most likely they were getting some type of monies. I do not like that part where others copy and then make money off our creation. All my video are copyrighted for this reason (video only...not audio) and I emailed this person and asked to have the video removed...which he did. Some I emailed to remove and either don't respond (most) or flat out tell me NO becuz they are making money. In this case, I contact YouTube Copyrights and report them for Copyright Infringement. It take a while for YouTube to respond and do anything. Some of you may think I'm taking that too far, but I feel if I created it...I own it and others should not be making a profit off it. I don't post ads on my videos for profit...neither should anyone else. But maybe I should to pay for additional controllers?

Kevin
is there a way to "watermark" your video with something that can't be stripped out?

The other thing is how much effort do you have to use to go after these folks? I think there are ways to encrypt/restrict what you post, ideally if it can be watermarked then everyone will know they are posting copyrighted material. You might not be able to stop "Joe the Plumber" across the street from videotaping and posting but material you created and posted then there should be a way to do that. Or at least fix it to the point that if someone post it then it says "all rights reserved Cracker Enterprises,LLC"!! lol

on the other hand if that is gonna cost a ton of money to do (money that could be well spent on controllers and CCR's) then you have to weigh that out.

I know that when you process and edit the video, some programs let you put a watermark throughout the video with your name or trademark somewhere on it before you uploade it.. but then again, I suppose someone else could just edit it out. You could put it across the entire video, but then it would ruin the overall quality.

boborino wrote:

I know that when you process and edit the video, some programs let you put a watermark throughout the video with your name or trademark somewhere on it before you uploade it.. but then again, I suppose someone else could just edit it out.  You could put it across the entire video, but then it would ruin the overall quality.

One of the best ways is to superimpose a "bug" or logo in one of the corners. Because the aspect ratio of the video won't change from one user to the next. The only way to get rid of the bug is to crop the entire image. Either some of the house would be lost or the aspect ratio would change.

BTW... one of my neighbors came over while I was setting up (Christmas) last weekend. He's a retired engineer and was really interested in the whole set up and how it had changed from last year.

We started talking about my not wanting any press coverage for fear of blocking the neighborhood roads. I was very surprised to hear him say he wouldn't mind a bit. Then I told him about Kevin's display going viral this year. I was even more surprised to hear him say: "Oh yeah! I saw that one on the internet."

Once again Kevin's display had traveled farther/faster than the speed of other lights.

:cool::cool::cool:

Cracker wrote:

Thanks for the catch. It is from last year video and many people do copy and repost on thier youtube channel. I'm not sure why except to make money. This person had ads and links in the video so most likely they were getting some type of monies. I do not like that part where others copy and then make money off our creation. All my video are copyrighted for this reason (video only...not audio) and I emailed this person and asked to have the video removed...which he did. Some I emailed to remove and either dont respond (most) or flat out tell me NO becuz they are making money. In this case, I contact Youtube Copyrights and report them for Copyright Infringement. It take a while for Youtube to respond and do anything. Some of you may think I'm taking that too far, but I feel if I created it...I own it and others should not be making a profit off it. I dont post ads on my videos for profit...neither should anyone else. But maybe I should to pay for additional controllers?

Kevin

Kevin,

It's your work and only you should be making money off of it if you chose to do so. It pisses me off when others take the hard work from the creators and claim as their own or use it to their advantage. Watermark will slow that crap down and now might be a good time to do so for the upcoming holidays and of course next Halloween :D.

Your an icon dude, protect what is yours!!! :dude:

Claim your turf and throw the book at em. :cool:

Tom