Light-O-Rama Forums

Introducing Seasonal Entertainment

Ponddude

Greg,

Did I read right that only 2 rainbow floods can be used per port on one brain? So that makes 10 floods total? Just checking.

Thank you,

Tom

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ponddude

• Dan C

• ogamoga

• Surfing4Dough

Tom,

With the new LEDs, which draw more current, I would only run two daisy chained with the pigtails, not the modular jacks. They draw a little too much power for me to be comfortable with it running through a cat-5 cable.

However, the old floods can be daisy chained together with the cat-5 cable and than 2 can be chained together.

Greg

Ponddude wrote:

Tom,

With the new LEDs, which draw more current, I would only run two daisy chained with the pigtails, not the modular jacks. They draw a little too much power for me to be comfortable with it running through a cat-5 cable.

However, the old floods can be daisy chained together with the cat-5 cable and than 2 can be chained together.

Greg

Is a single new flood safe to use with Cat5 cable? or will we still need a new 4 wire setup?

Ponddude wrote:

Tom,

Greg

Thanks for the clarification Greg.

Hey Greg,

Any chance you could take a picture of the back of the new r ainbow spotlight so we can see how the wires attach?
I'm trying to come up with an cheap enclosure for them and was just curious.

Thanks!

Sure can! I actually have a picture of the new spotlights and floods.

Spotlight:

up_close_1-1.jpg

You will see there are 4 holes on each side of the name. You only need to use one set of those 4 holes to power the light. However, if you plan on daisy chaining in the future, you can use the other 4 to hook up the other pigtail end. Also note, and I think I explained this in the first post on this topic, that there are no modular jacks what so ever available for the spotlights from now on. However, we will have a jack-pigtail converter. Also note that this is the prototype PCB. In the production run we re-did the silkscreening so the hole names are larger and moved the web address and name around.

Floodlight:

up_close_1.jpg

The floodlight has 4 holes on either side of the modular jack. If you choose the pigtails, you will not receive the modular jack. If you choose the modular jack, you will not receive the pigtails. The solder pad is much larger on the flood simply because of the amount of current it can handle.

Finally, we finally got our online chat feature up and running. If anyone has any questions, you can chat we me, through the website. I will try to be on as often as possible. There are links thorughout the site that say "Live Support." As long as those links are green and say "Online," I am available to chat. Feel free to ask me anything if you have some questions.

Greg

Excellent Thank you!

So glad to see you labeled the connections for color too, that helps tremendously.

Donny, I think I read somewhere the spots are 2" in diameter.

Dan C wrote:

Excellent Thank you!

So glad to see you labeled the connections for color too, that helps tremendously.

Donny, I think I read somewhere the spots are 2" in diameter.

The color names on the boards not only match the color they control, they also match the color of the wire within the pigtail. The "COM" connection is the +12vdc connection.

I am working on the updated manuals, so just hang with me for a day or two.

Ponddude wrote:

Spotlight:

You will see there are 4 holes on each side of the name. You only need to use one set of those 4 holes to power the light. However, if you plan on daisy chaining in the future, you can use the other 4 to hook up the other pigtail end. Also note, and I think I explained this in the first post on this topic, that there are no modular jacks what so ever available for the spotlights from now on. However, we will have a jack-pigtail converter.

Floodlight:

The floodlight has 4 holes on either side of the modular jack. If you choose the pigtails, you will not receive the modular jack. If you choose the modular jack, you will not receive the pigtails. The solder pad is much larger on the flood simply because of the amount of current it can handle.

Finally, we finally got our online chat feature up and running. If anyone has any

Greg

So if you buy an assembled spot will it come with the pigtails attached or do these still needed soldered? This is the spot I am referring to:
http://seasonalentertainmentllc.com/store/product.php?id_product=28

I don't think I completely understand the whole pigtail thing. Not sure I understand what connects to these--do I have to buy special wires from SE to run to these, though I think I read that cat5 will still work (which is what I suspect the jack-pigtail converter is for)? Maybe I don't understand what pigtail is? Is it just a bare wire?
I guess it will make more sense when I see pics.

No, that light will not have the pigtail attached. You will need to find some sort of way of wiring the lights. You can, however, purchase the bare pigtails from the Accesories section of the store. Now this is the waterproof pigtail set.

http://seasonalentertainmentllc.com/store/product.php?id_product=45

The ends that have no connections get soldered directly onto the boards (whether it be wall runner, flood or spotlight). The extension cables are used to connect the lights to either a controller or to the next light. Furthermore, the new Brain also has the connections available from the pigtails. So, you can wire the lights like this:

Brain1>- - - - - - - -
2>- - - -
3>- - - - - - - -
4>
5>

- - - - = extension cables

The pigtails give you the benefit of using a heavy guage wire to connect the lights together. This will allow you to daisy chain more lights together. Now if you order the fully assembled and enclosed Spotlight, it will come with the pigtails attached.

You also do not need to use the pigtails. The new board designs make it easy to use your own wiring if you wanted to connect the lights together. If you want to daisy chain 10 Spotlights together you can use a heavy guage wire to connect the lights together. The pigtails really just give you another option for wiring the lights together.

Greg,

All this pig tail and Rainbow Brain stuff is new to me as to others I'm sure. New options and such, I'm trying to keep in focus.

I know this might be alot to ask, but can you provide a drawing or something to show how connections from an LOR controller, thru a brain, to floods/spots using cable or pigtails? I need a more basic picture of what I might need before I place an order to make sure I order the right stuff. Sorry for the slow play on my part.

If I have 4 LOR 16 channel controllers and I want to run 64 channels of Rainbow Flood/color connections, what would I need and the best way to hook them up?

Or to simply, I want to run 4 LOR 16 channel controllers and all 64 channels run Rainbow floods. What would I need?

Again, sorry for a simple question, but there is a lot I'm not sure of just yet.

Thanks,

Tom

There seems to be a lot of confusion regarding the pigtails. Please do not think they are anything different, they are just another option. Last year you were very limited to how many light you could daisy chain together before you reached the maximum current allowed by the cat-5 cabling. Now, if you choose the pigtails, they will allow you to connect more lights together than you previously could.

The pigtails installed on the lights are just like the jacks last year. They let power in and they let power out. They feature a waterproof end so that when you connect the pigtails to the extension cabling, you have a completely waterproof seal, which you didn't get last year.

Think of it like this...
The pigtails are the jacks (let power in and out)
The extension cables are like cat-5 cabling (connect the lights together and to the Brain)

There are two advantages to the pigtails.
1...they allow you to create a water tight seal on the electrical connections.
2...they allow you to connect more lights together than you can with the cat-5 cabling.

The pigtails you get from us allow you to solder the pigtails directly to the lights in the through holes that are labeled. If you look at the pictures above, you will see where they are located. All you do is solder the coloered wire to the board with the color labeled hole. For example, the red striped wire in the pigtail goes to the red through hole on the light. That red wire also controls the red LEDs of the light. Very, very simple.

Now, if you order a Rainbow Brain, it also has the through holes on the board. Again, you match the color wire to the label on the board. Now the Brain has 5 pigtails to connect to the extension cables to control the lights.

If you do not use the Brain to control the lights and you use the LOR DC controller, we also have the pigtail set available in Accessories Section of the store. You can take the pigtails and wire them directly to the DC controller. Now your DC controller will have pigtails available to connect your lights together.

Don't think too much into this. The pigtails are just like the jacks and the extension cables are just like the cat-5 cabling...simple and easy.

Hopefully these picture help a little bit. You can see how the pigtails attach to the LOR controller. They than are connected directly to this years version of the Rainbow Flood. All the Rainbow lights can connect in this manner. Also, you can use the extension cables (not pictured) to connect from pigtail to pigtail.

DSC_3479.jpg

DSC_3483.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to remind everyone that the sale ends Sunday at 8EST. Thats just 25 hours left. The sale turn out has been incredible this year. If you want to get the lights at our lowest prices of the season...now is your chance!!

Ponddude wrote:

Just want to remind everyone that the sale ends Sunday at 8EST. Thats just 25 hours left. The sale turn out has been incredible this year. If you want to get the lights at our lowest prices of the season...now is your chance!!

24 hours left. Clocks move ahead an hour tonight. :)

I must be missing something...how do we get the pre-sale pricing to apply to what is in your cart or about to order? All I am seeing is the 2011 regular pricing listed. Is there a special code you have to insert?