Light-O-Rama Forums

Lets see those controller boxes

Big D

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Wow! I'm impressed too! What about heat build up? Do you have any issues? I did not see a fan, that why I ask! I love what you did with your mega tree, main shaft pole! I love how neat all of the wires loo inside the box! I'm so impressed!

I'm not sure who your referring to. I have no heat issues in my control panel. I did leave room for a fan but it never got that hot in there. I had a remote thermometer unit in the panel for a few weeks and it never got over 105F.
My panel took forever to make! If I had to put a number on it I would say around 200 hours if it even stops there. But I am an electrician and I enjoy a good project like this!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CUTTHEMUSIC

• Don Krasley

• beeiilll

• Big D

If there is an award for the best looking box, can I get a vote for the one "most likely to burn down the house"

What can I say - its all SAFE, just a bit messy. The left one SHOULD have a cover on it, but nothing will fit around the heatsinks.

Maybe I'll pop for some of those Keptel boxes next year... Maybe.

Attached files 222283=12295-abigmess.jpg

gizmomkr wrote:

If there is an award for the best looking box, can I get a vote for the one "most likely to burn down the house"

What can I say - its all SAFE, just a bit messy. The left one SHOULD have a cover on it, but nothing will fit around the heatsinks.

Maybe I'll pop for some of those Keptel boxes next year... Maybe.
i'll give you most likely to electrocute yourself with it

gizmomkr wrote:

Should I go ahead and draw up a Light-o-rama "will" so someone can have my controllers and LED lights after I fry myself.

I've already emailed you the proper forms with my name and address filled in; easier on your widow that way...:):D

jpbaily1 wrote:

Now that is the "Mc Shizzle" sir.

An entire shed!
Make that 2 sheds, and 8 more controllers in the garage

Here is mine. I have 2 box's. One with 2 CTB16K boards, both with high power heatsinks, and another box with 1 of the CTB16K Deluxe board also with high power heatsink. The box's are IP 55 fiberglass enclosures and I have made sure to seal the holes I added. I heat the internals with a hot air gun for about 5 mins to make sure there is no moisture before I seal it up for the time its outside. So far everything has stayed perfectly dry with them sitting right on the ground.

-Adam

Attached files 223997=12395-IMG_0352.jpg

Well I guess I better throw in a couple of pictures of my boxes so far.

The smaller ones are nice to place around small groups of items and the bigger enclosure is for my mega tree.

controller.jpg

controller1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The cabling here is very impressive. This is the third install like this I have viewed.. The first was the 10 million dollar HUB at UVU in Orem. The second was at Disneyland. (Ok, I should get out more)

Thanks.

Yea the bigger box is easy to work on. I can change out a card if I need too in less than 10 minutes.

Plus I color coded and numbered my cables to the tree for the 4 colors to make it easier as well.

beeiilll wrote:

Thanks.

Yea the bigger box is easy to work on. I can change out a card if I need too in less than 10 minutes.

Plus I color coded and numbered my cables to the tree for the 4 colors to make it easier as well.

Wow! That's really impressive. I like the big box. What would you charge to build me one like that. I really don't need one, but it sure looks awesome.

MikeH

Here's a box I made for my first Christmas display this year. I bought the box off of ebay for $30.00 plus shipping. Mounted an aluminum plate inside to mount the controllers to and drilled holes for the cords and cat5. I was pretty happy how it turned out.

Jeff

Attached files 228478=12571-Hoffman Box.jpg

OH, the brown in the cover is paper covering the plexiglas window. The box is dust tight with a seal. It will be mounted in the garage so I didn't worry about rain tight.

Jeff

Well here is one of mine. I use this on "Rhema Bridge" posted on youtube. Next year I'm going to build another one but with 8-16 channel PC cards.

Attached files 228610=12572-DSC03866.JPG

Here's half of my controllers. I didn't realize how much space they would take up when I built the enclosures, so the rest are mounted in separate boxes outside.

Attached files 228756=12576-LOR Controller Lighted.JPG