• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CUTTHEMUSIC

• Don Krasley

• beeiilll

• Big D

Big D wrote:

Looking for ideas for homemade controller box.

Scroll thru these posts:

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=22222&forum_id=76&highlight=controller+box

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=21533&forum_id=25&highlight=enclosure

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=18903&forum_id=82&highlight=enclosure

And this is what I did...64 Channels in a box.
12x12x6 Enclosure from Lowes:

Attached files 220267=12213-Enclosure 4.jpg

This is my controller housing / power distro. I named it "Overkill". I built the case using aluminum extrusion and PVC laminated plywood from Penn Fabrication. The main cord is a Carol 4/2 portable cord that feeds a sub panel. I also used cam-lok disconnects on the feeder cord.

5180452088_1118f8672c.jpg
5179851411_012ff28a28.jpg
3327093674_a91e96763a.jpg
3327094294_23c3e70d55.jpg
3326256689_1e2e5ed4b4.jpg
3327095584_34c7460d85.jpg
3326259319_f9fc0b51fd.jpg
3326259895_7fd257ebd3.jpg
3326260629_ba32a90332.jpg
%7Boption%7D

CUTTHEMUSIC wrote:

This is my controller housing / power distro. I named it "Overkill". I built the case using aluminum extrusion and PVC laminated plywood from Penn Fabrication. The main cord is a Carol 4/2 portable cord that feeds a sub panel. I also used cam-lok disconnects on the feeder cord.

NICE!!!!!

Love the Socapex and Camlok's - I take it you work or have worked production at some point. I see a "red" in there - is that a double hot, or are your able to get 3 phase at the house.

Nice box! I like it a lot - mine is in a rubermade container. (and looks quite scarry)

I'm pretty sure I could win the "moste likely to short out and melt down" award. I'll try and get a pic posted.

gizmomkr wrote:

Love the Socapex and Camlok's - I take it you work or have worked production at some point. I see a "red" in there  - is that a double hot, or are your able to get 3 phase at the house.

Nice box! I like it a lot - mine is in a rubermade container. (and looks quite scarry)

I'm pretty sure I could win the "moste likely to short out and melt down" award. I'll try and get a pic posted.

Years back I worked for Clair Brothers (the largest sound company in the world)...now I write financial lending software(who would have thought! ;) The red cam allows my sub panel to run either 120 or 240 volts. The soca's are awesome and expensive too. The 4 AMP CPC's connectors are much cheaper but not as rugged. My first year I used a rubbermade container too...didn't take any pictures though.

jimswinder wrote:

CUTTHEMUSIC wrote:

NICE!!!!!

I think i recall seeing one of those at Kennedy at the last shuttle launch..;)

There is definitely an art to cable routing and management...very impressive.

I'm just using plain and simple CG-1500s, from the now defunct YBBS...would provide pics, but still just empty boxes at the moment.

scubado wrote:

'Overkill' is an understatement!  Diffinately has the wow factor.  very impressive.  How many channels are in it?

Right now I only have 64 in it because I had 3 of my controllers located closer to my mega tree. I plan on revamping it after this season so that I can fit up to 10 controllers in it comfortably.

one can never have too much overkill. I did some work for CBA too and I know how to over kill. I just wish I would have though a little longer before putting 12 controllers in a can. It looks good and functions well. It's just not practical. Check it out here:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30393666&l=38e422abb2&id=1361664251

The latest 6 are in another album here:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1473725607406&set=a.1473799769260.2069122.1361664251

I still use it but I don't have it on the wall. I generated quite a collection of extension cords from that distance.

Attached files 220883=12242-1264705142440.jpg

actually this time I used a 1 inch conduit punch. You don't see it from the back side because the receptacle covers it. But the first panel I made I punched them all out with the greenlee double "D" punch I bought on ebay. the problem was the double d punch took a lot more time to get things lined up and the slug got stuck 95% of the time. the 1 inch (1-3/8") was a slugbuster type of punch and was the ez button!

Attached files 220927=12247-Picture 013b.jpg

The LOR box's don't come with a weather seals on them. Would you suggest buying some and installing it on each box?

I would watch what you do to keep the water and moisture out. seems the more you try, the more it just traps water inside. as long as it's a watertight box you should be good.

I don't have the time right now for anyone but maybe soon. too many things to do right now and so little time.

Wow! I'm impressed too! What about heat build up? Do you have any issues? I did not see a fan, that why I ask! I love what you did with your mega tree, main shaft pole! I love how neat all of the wires loo inside the box! I'm so impressed!