Light-O-Rama Forums

Brand New Newbie with a few questions

4hoogies

have an old 386/486, or Pentium 1 computer/laptop thats usable? Not even a midrange machine is needed.. (hence the serial port version for the interface). If its got a USB port, thats a bonus! I wouldnt try to run it with 16mb of ram tho ;)

I'd say as far as tying up your own computer, LOR can work in the background, so it could be running a show, and unless you're editting/encoding video at the same time, it'll multi-task.. I'm not steeering anyone away from the 16D, just saying that thinking you need a dedicated computer shouldnt really be a concern...

teege

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4hoogies

• zman

• Surfing4Dough

• TJ Hvasta

What have people got to do with it? Though I live in the city, I'm also in a townhouse, no through traffic. I put up a display because I like doing it. The grandkids seem to like it. If people stop by and they do, great! I hope they like it too.

There is a huge difference between blinky-blink over and over, and controlling the lights to the beat of music. And the feeling you get the first time you see your display for real and not just on a computer screen is intense.

TJ Hvasta wrote:

have an old 386/486, or Pentium 1 computer/laptop thats usable? Not even a midrange machine is needed.. (hence the serial port version for the interface). If its got a USB port, thats a bonus! I wouldnt try to run it with 16mb of ram tho ;)

I'd say as far as tying up your own computer, LOR can work in the background, so it could be running a show, and unless you're editting/encoding video at the same time, it'll multi-task.. I'm not steeering anyone away from the 16D, just saying that thinking you need a dedicated computer shouldnt really be a concern...

teege

Though if you do use music, you have to be careful about doing anything that generates a sound. Nothing like a Windows error dong coming up in Silent Night!