Light-O-Rama Forums

Brand New Newbie with a few questions

4hoogies

Ya, theres a ton of us this year!

I may have lurked around and posted some in the past years, but this is my first year to go LOR too... I've been planning for years.

4hoogies, How many channels are you planning for on your first year? There are a few of us who don't mind sharing sequences either.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4hoogies

• zman

• Surfing4Dough

• TJ Hvasta

The problem with PC is that they implemented a no negative post rule for their vendors. I believe most of the negative posts surrounding Travis and Paul have been deleted.

I have bought from both and would do so again. I got caught up in Paul's exploding lights 2 years ago. Still better than big box stores.

Again, you are all so very helpful.

I am looking at a 32 channel LOR package to start with. I can purchase more next year if I find success.:D

(Mark Z) - I would love to PM you, I unfortunately haven't quite figured out how to do that.:?

this is a rough idea of what I was thinking for channels if anyone cares, but if you have input on my thinking or if it is completely unrealistic.

Channel box 1

Channel / Location

1 - Top of roof line

2- Bottom of roof line

3- cactus and 2 bushes

4-8 - 5 spiral trees

9-16 - 8 mini arches

Channel box 2

Channel Location

1 - Front windows on house, 3 of them

2-3 Bell in arched window

4 - cascading stars down front pillar (6 stars - can you make these RUN instead of creating 6 separate channels?)

5-6 - 1 bush in back corner and 2 down walkway

7 - christmas gift boxes

8- skiing polar bear

9-11 - Mega tree (3 different colors /1 on each channel)

12-13 - double star on Mega Tree

14 - around double car garage door

15 - around single car garage door

again, remember this is my first time so wasn't trying to do anything fancy and planning has just been based off of what I have been reading through the forums. I may not have enough channels to come to close to what I am invisioning.

4hoogies wrote:

I may not have enough channels to come to close to what I am invisioning.

That definitely is one of the most common sentiments expressed around here... looks like you're going to fit in just fine...

I also thought i was going to start out with 32 channels.I am at 208 and very scared about the upcoming sale.Over 35 songs sequenced so i need to restrain myself....somehow.

This is my first LOR year starting with 32 channels. I have 13 songs sequenced with 3 more in the works. I would simply dread having to go back through each song and add channels....

Can you tell me if the LMS file for sequences only run on LOR Sequence Editor? Is that why my computer won't open it up? Everytime I save a sequence it can't open it up. what am I doing wrong? I can't find anything on the forum.

4hoogies wrote:

I am looking at a 32 channel LOR package to start with. I can purchase more next year if I find success.;)

In case you weren't aware, one of the best things I learned early on was about the CTB16PC controllers, which are a much more economical route for home displays. Enabled me to afford to get more channels (and are usually 10-20% cheaper during the sale). You mention the 32ch package, which makes me suspect you are looking at the ShowTime Controllers instead.

http://store.lightorama.com/ctb16pcpage.html

If you search the forums, you will find many discussions about he difference in the controllers (not much for the average residential user).

Box 2 channel 4: If you want the stars to "run" each star will need to be on it's own channel. You will be able to do the run effect with your spiral trees and mini arches.

You have several channels that control more than one element. If you are thinking about having the lights go from side to side or up and down your house the elements that are controlled by a single channel will need to be physically grouped to allow this. Another thought is colors. If you want to sequence so that your house is all one color, then another color, elements that share a channel will need to be the same color. I point this out because it was something I hadn't thought of my first year and had to change some of my elements.

I smiled at your statement "remember this is my first time so wasn't trying to do anything fancy". You are in for a wonderful surprise when you fire up your lights and people start commenting on them. I did 16 channels last year and the viewers I had were amazed by the display. You will be bringing a lot of joy to a lot of people with your display!

Have you decided on a list of songs you would like to sequence?

I'm still working on the songs. Trying to get the main hardware before I get all the songs in order. However, I was able to track down a couple of old Christmas songs I grew up with as a kid on ebay that I was hoping to pay someone to sequence. Luckily they are only about 2-3 minutes long but feel that's the cart before the horse.;)

But I go to bed planning and thinking every night. This is an addiction, yowsers!

I feel i'm a bit out of my league with some of your electronics talk which is why I was sticking to the packaged LOR sets. But will research the other options regarding the CTB16PC controllers.

And...so glad I now get the PM. thank you to those of you who have sent me PM's.

If you're comfortable soldering, might I suggest this?

The very first LOR controller I bought was the CTB16PC 90% assembled kit.. I had to just install the pre-assembled board in the case, plug in the dongles and I was done.. that was $205 + shipping.

The second kit I bought was a complete CTB16PC kit, but solder it yourself.. that was $179 + shipping.

The next two controllers I bought were CTB16PC board and components only, solder yourself for $99/ea.. I merely had the pre-assembled kit alongside to compare the others to.

You can go that same route also, but to get the best bang for the buck, since there -are- locals who have assembled boards nearby, you could get the lowest level kit, saving a lot of $$ to be able to get another controller or two (build up that channel count) and still have a "pattern" to build yours off of.. thats the route I wish I had done.. as that would have saved me $180 + shipping, enough to buy two more controllers, another 32 channels.. I have built a fair amount of electronic stuff (I'm also a 30yr+ ham radio guy) so soldering was, if you'll pardon the pun, "no
sweat" ;) If you're not solder-savvy, again, "no sweat", as the locals here can teach you.

There's also a Christmas Lighting group here in the Valley.. check here: http://lightuparizona.com/, join in, say hi and watch for local meet & greet, and make & takes..

TJ
(East Valley)

4hoogies wrote:

that I was hoping to pay someone to sequence.

I advise you to sequence yourself. It's still early enough that you should have time to get your sequencing skills established before Christmas.

The hardest part of sequencing is starting. Get that over with, and it becomes easier.

I started sequencing my first year in February, but then I started with 88 channels, and I started with LOR 1. Sequencing is much easier with the current version.

I feel i'm a bit out of my league with some of your electronics talk which is why I was sticking to the packaged LOR sets. But will research the other options regarding the CTB16PC controllers.

For the first time, this year I'm going to buy a CTB-16D. Why? Because my sister-in-law wants to build a mega tree in her front yard, and I'm going to provide the controller. This is a rural area, with no parking, so there won't be any music, and there's no computer nearby, so I'm going with a controller that can run standalone.

crackchecker wrote:
I would simply dread having to go back through each song and add channels....

It's not that bad. I've done this every year. Just add the new channels, export the configuration, then import the configuration to all the existing songs. (Make a "2009" CD-ROM first!) Then copy and paste between similar elements and edit from there.

4hoogies wrote:

Might want to read here. http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum80/22003-1.html (most useful discussion starts on page 2)
and
http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum80/21842-1.html (multiple good pages)

You can get these completely assembled, partially assembled (no soldering), or un-assembled that require soldering depending on your comfort level.

For most residential users, especially those planning to sequence to music, the PC versions operate exactly like the Showtime controllers, with the same ease of use. And here is the software starter package (software and adapter) that comes with the Showtime "Starter Packages" so you can create your own PC controller starter package: http://store.lightorama.com/spk800.html and save about $200 for 32 channels. Money you can save/spend on more controllers down the road or now.

Steven wrote:

For the first time, this year I'm going to buy a CTB-16D. Why? Because my sister-in-law wants to build a mega tree in her front yard, and I'm going to provide the controller. This is a rural area, with no parking, so there won't be any music, and there's no computer nearby, so I'm going with a controller that can run standalone.

Sounds like my situation..I'm buying the 16Ds for two reasons...one, not sure I want to dedicate a computer (would need to use a new machine with the way my property and layout is), and two, I'm also rural, so likely no music..just animation. And lastly, building the units to me is pure unadulterated stress-relieving bliss..;)

if I ever do go with music, I'll need to either use an MP3 controller, or dedicate a computer..for now, my trade off is, going with 16Ds..the tradeoff is one I'll accept.

Not really sure if I understand what rural has to do with the no need for music. I am rural and there really is no place for parking. We even live on a gravel road. But a light show without music is like a day without sun shine, something is just missing. Nice thing about LOR software is that it does not require a powerful computer for the show computer. I like something that has good graphics for the sequencing computer so that I can use the visualizer and get a half way decent idea of what my show is going to look like. But like I said the show computer does not need a fancy CPU memory or graphics card.
Try watching an action movie on your TV with the sound turned down. That's what a light show is like with no music. But I egress, each to their own.

Its not that I feel I need a supercomputer if I went that direction...I could hack one together for a few hundred.

I don't disagree re music..it's nice with the shows, but I don't see it as the end all..then again, my mind may be completely changed this Christmas.

I live on a road where the speed limit is 50 mph, minimal shoulders...I simply do not see people stopping for any length of time where music may be something I can't do without.

This first foray into LOR etc is more something to see if I, and my family like it...and then who knows, next year may turn into a major extravganza...;)