Light-O-Rama Forums

Brand New Newbie with a few questions

4hoogies

I am waiting for the sale to purchase my 1st LOR system. I have been on the forums of LOR and PLanet Christmas. I have a few questions if you don't mind helping me out.

1) There was a diagram of a mega tree on one of these forums. It had a wood top with screws in it to wrap the lights up and around. Does this sound familiar and do any of you know where I could find it?

2) If I am trying a smaller version of a mega tree for the first year - say about 5feet tall. I don't have a huge yard. I was hoping to purchase 100light/33 foot strings for all of my lights through CDI. But for a mega tree do I want to keep it to the length of wrapping it from the bottom up to the top and back down again? so this would be roughly 10 feet of lights?

3) Anyone have a recommendation on what online source has great deals for individual strands and not cases?

4) I live in a residential area so will have a lot more foot traffic than car traffic. Do most of you use an FM transmitter? Speakers? or Both? If you use speakers, is there some kind I need to be looking for instead of just computer speakers that come with my computer? i live in Arizona so cold weather/snow is not a problem.

By the way, you guys are all very informative on these forums and I have already had so many of my questions answered just by reading. thank you, and thanks to those of you who have managed to maintain your sense of humor. You are a wealth of information.

Thanks,

TH

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4hoogies

• zman

• Surfing4Dough

• TJ Hvasta

4hoogies wrote:

I am waiting for the sale to purchase my 1st LOR system. I have been on the forums of LOR and PLanet Christmas. I have a few questions if you don't mind helping me out.

1) There was a diagram of a mega tree on one of these forums. It had a wood top with screws in it to wrap the lights up and around. Does this sound familiar and do any of you know where I could find it?

4) I live in a residential area so will have a lot more foot traffic than car traffic. Do most of you use an FM transmitter? Speakers? or Both? If you use speakers, is there some kind I need to be looking for instead of just computer speakers that come with my computer? i live in Arizona so cold weather/snow is not a problem.

First of all, welcome to the LOR forums and welcome to this crazy addiction we all have! Ask tons of questions since there are many here that love to help.

Your mega tree description with a wooden topper sounds like Holdman's, maybe as seen here: http://www.holdman.com/christmas/projects.asp

While at it, here are two useful threads I have bookmarked for mega tree construction:
http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php/32191-Here-is-my-How-to-for-a-Mega-Tree

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php/23693-Easy-Mega-Tree-HOW-TO

I would say that most here use FM transmitters, but some use speakers too. Most probably live in residential areas as well, but it sounds unique that you will have more foot traffic for some reason. I have seen that some still use a FM transmitter, and then utilize a radio outside tuned in to their station, thus accomplishing both. Most computer speakers are much too weak for outdoor use. Computer speakers that sound very loud indoors will barely be audible outdoors (no walls for the sound to bounce off of). And they won't provide any depth of sound (bass), thus sounding tinny. Might need more weatherproof speakers too--though no snow in your situation, there probably is some occasional rain. (I would suggest adding your location to your profile since down the road others' answers on various matters will be affected by where you live.)

Just a start...I am sure others will chime in.

Welcome. I am not sure you would call a 5 foot tree mega. What effect(s) do you want this tree to do? Spin? Color shift? I would think it would be hard to spins with a tree this small. With 100 count strings, you would be able to go up and 4 + times.

I also get a bit of foot traffic.

I come out of the my computer headphone jack with a Y splitter. One get's sent to my transmitter, the other an old amplifier that I had laying around. I purchased a cheap pair of outside speakers. I put the amplifier on it's own timer so it will turn off around 9 as I get little foot traffic after that time.

Welcome! You seem to be starting out on the right foot; layout your display before you try to do any sequences. This will save you a lot of time and effort in the end.

On your mega tree you can just go up and down several times with each string to use up the length. If you limit yourself to a 10' string of lights for each channel, it may not be bright enough to show off your effects well. I assume you have a specific height to base diameter ratio in mind and the diameter is being determined by your yard size. Grant (http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum82/21675.html) has a nice compact design for a tree. He did his as a spiral but I don't see any reason you couldn't change the light arrangement to make a "standard" mega tree. I based my spiral tree on his idea and ended of with a 15' tall tree with a 4' square base. Doesn't use up much yard space, but will have a great impact I think. ( http://vimeo.com/8960201)

I too get a lot of foot traffic. I live close to a college and found that a lot of the kids walked over to watch the display. Here in South Texas the weather is nice, so being sheltered by a car is not that important. I have FM transmitter and a boom box. The boom box worked well (I put it inside of a zip bag to protect it from the weather). I adjusted the volume so that those on the sidewalk could hear it but not the neighbors.

4hoogies wrote:

4) If you use speakers, is there some kind I need to be looking for instead of just computer speakers that come with my computer? i live in Arizona so cold weather/snow is not a problem.

I went with the outdoor speakers from Best Buy. $98. Almost a perfect 5.0 rating on these. As a user of them, they are perfect. Blend right into my landscape and the sound is fantastic! Here's the link if interested.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia%26%23153%3B+-+Simulated+Rock+Outdoor+Speakers+(Pair)/8278124.p?id=1171058476697&skuId=8278124

pokrplr wrote:

4hoogies wrote:

4) If you use speakers, is there some kind I need to be looking for instead of just computer speakers that come with my computer? i live in Arizona so cold weather/snow is not a problem.

I went with the outdoor speakers from Best Buy. $98. Almost a perfect 5.0 rating on these. As a user of them, they are perfect. Blend right into my landscape and the sound is fantastic! Here's the link if interested.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia%26%23153%3B+-+Simulated+Rock+Outdoor+Speakers+(Pair)/8278124.p?id=1171058476697&skuId=8278124

My first year I also used only speakers. I also used rock shaped speakers similiar to these but I got them at BJs for about $70 for a pair, so shop around if you decide to use something like that.

One problem with speakers is additional speaker wiring needed. I had to go buy speaker wire because my two speakers were a good distance from the amplifier.

Overall I was pleased with the sound quality but I did not get the foot traffic I hoped for, so I have moved my show to my sister's house where drive by is easier and have gone to just an EDM FM transmitter.

Here is mine made out of 1x8 (3 layers sandwiched and glued)

I use an FM transmitter, but in the past I have gone from speakers outside run from a central receiver, to now small little portable radios.

Attached files 204479=11371-IMGP0766.JPG

TH, welcome to the greatest group, of just-not-right people on the planet :D Like the others have said, you're on the right path.. plan first, then list what you need, then buy..

For sound, 2009 was my first LOR year, but I'd used other controllers before LOR..
I use a set of amplified computer speakers (see pix), and put a gallon-size freezer bag over them to protect from rain/water. With the volume set at abt halfway, it's -more- than loud enough for any foot traffic, loud enough to be heard over car motors and yet not too loud to bother the neighbors. I had lots more foot traffic (neighbors) than cars so I didnt run a transmitter.. I may this year, hadnt decided.. If you have a Frys Electronics, or even WalMart.. amplified speakers are cheap.. this set (many yrs ago) was abt $20 new.. but you can find the same, metal cased speakers at ANY Goodwill or DAV store for $5 or less. As you see, these have volume, treble and bass, so sound is adjustable. I was able to run a premade audio extension (also from Frys) with a mini jack on one end, and a mini plug on the other (think headphone extension). I had the speakers hidden under my mini trees.

As for a 5' mega-tree... most 100ct light sets are between 20'-25' long (avg), I used a 2 1/2" x 12' pvc pipe for my tree, with 2' in the ground (bigger pvc sleeve buried it slips into) and two 1" x 8' pvc for the "hoop" bottom, securing them together with abt a 4" long x 1 1/2" diam pipe with a drywall screw into each end to secure the hoop.. The top had a 2 1/2" pvc cap with 8 cup hooks screwed in.

A 24'-25', 100ct, string will pretty much go from the bottom of the hoop to the top of the tree and back down without any slack. I took each string (I only had multis available), folded in half, zip-tied so I had a small loop, slipped it over each cup hook. I ran 8 multi' strings, split apart, so each slice was an' up n' down.. it looked full enough. I will prob make it 8 single x 3 color (red, white, green) strings for 24 channels this year. I also used tent stakes to secure the hoop to the ground so I could make the strings taut.

If you do build them only 5' (like real tree height), you could make several of them and spread them around the yard.. same thing people do with the spiral trees.. big thing is, like arches, they're channel hogs.. if you build more than one, then link the same color channels together (parallel them)..

Did I see you're in AZ? I'm in Mesa.. just off the -60.. If you're in the Valley, you can come by and see how I got my stuff built..

Welcome again!

TJ

Attached files 204508=11373-speakers.jpg

zman wrote:

Pic 2

Since you mentioned CDI, I assume you mean LEDs. Travis Fremming at LED Holiday Lighting sells individual LED strings:

http://www.ledholidaylighting.com/

Those prices look amazingly good for LEDs compared to what I recall seeing elsewhere. Or am I just not looking in the right place.

I had written off LEDs for this first attempt due to budget, but this might put them back on the option list.

Travis at LED Holiday LED and Paul at Creative Display have basically the same pricing for the same basic products (LED light strings). Travis's angle is that he will sell "what you need" versus Paul at CDI only dealing in cases of 12 strings. They might differ slightly in other products, I suggest you check their sites out.

There are other LED vendors out there that cater to our hobby. Valerie at http://www.christmas-leds.com/ is another. I suggest you peruse this link for other LED vendors:

http://www.planetchristmas.com/vendors.htm

Travis, Paul and Valerie, have excellent quality LEDs. They usually have the best prices in the February timeframe in what is now called the pre-season orders. All the forums mention and monitor those sales.

Keep asking questions.

zman wrote:

Travis at LED Holiday LED and Paul at Creative Display have basically the same pricing for the same basic products (LED light strings). Travis's angle is that he will sell "what you need" versus Paul at CDI only dealing in cases of 12 strings.

I've no desire to hijack this thread (for this discussion has occurred in many other places) but I don't want a newbie ripped off because he didn't know what question(s) to ask.

Hoogieman - make sure you check the vendor's reputation also. Paul can be rightly accused of providing superior custom service. Travis cannot. Paul can be rightly accused of making sure you get what you order. Travis cannot. Give Paul a call and speak to him personally before you order anything from anywhere. He's having a 20% off sale in conjunction with LOR's summer sale. And who knows - given the economy he might be making exceptions to things like case-only quantities this season...

Thank you all for your replies. You have all given me a great deal of information to look into. the Holdman Mega Tree was what I was looking for but also appreciate the other pictures and links as well. And, also agree that a 5' tree isn't exactly a mega tree but for my first year I need to start small.

May I also ask re: the mega tree - I notice most of you have about 8 (some 16) hooks to wrap lights on. I am trying to understand how you do it if you are wrapping 3 different colors (up and down). So, if I understand, (say for an 8 hook top) do you wrap the lights the following way:

#1,4,7 - Red

#2,5,8 - Green

# 3,6, ? - White

I guess not, it doesn't seem to add up.

Or do you overlap them, 3 colors on each of the 8 hooks?

Again, I am starting off small this year so was going to keep my first tree to an 8 channel controller so won't probably do as many cool things as I'd like. that's what I get for buying everything at once and having to put the brakes on the final total for now.

I did get the CDI 10% off code (from the already sale priced items) so am I missing something for the 20% off? I'm buying all LED lights for this lovely project which is already adding up. So any more help I can get is great.

And, when you talk about RGB lights (I'm assuming red/green/blue) what does this mean? Or are these the Super Strings I've seen you guys talk about that you create yourself from 3 individual strings of each color?

4hoogies wrote:

And, when you talk about RGB lights (I'm assuming red/green/blue) what does this mean?

Around here the most common RGB device is LOR's Cosmic Color Ribbon, or maybe some of the new flood lights.

Okay, 1 more question.

I have tried to do as much planning as possible. I have drawn out my plans (where I want my lights, footage, how many sets of lights, etc.) Where do I go from here if I'm not buying the software until the sale? Can I still use the demo to set up my channels so that I can buy custom sequences? It seems like some people give discounts now for sequences if I can get them all the right information.

Also, I was looking around the LORsequences.com, are these free to download and which version am I looking for? The Controller Package that I'm looking to buy through LOR doesn't really say if I'm getting the LOR1 or LOR2 format. I'm assuming LOR2 since it is the newer version???? Sorry if this information is somewhere in the forum, i have been searching for the last hour and it's past midnight. I need to go to bed.

thank you for any help.

ps. some of your previous links I couldn't open and the video on the mega tree how to didn't have volume. But I will try again tomorrow. ;)

George Simmons wrote:

zman wrote:
Travis at LED Holiday LED and Paul at Creative Display have basically the same pricing for the same basic products (LED light strings). Travis's angle is that he will sell "what you need" versus Paul at CDI only dealing in cases of 12 strings.

I've no desire to hijack this thread (for this discussion has occurred in many other places) but I don't want a newbie ripped off because he didn't know what question(s) to ask.

Hoogieman - make sure you check the vendor's reputation also. Paul can be rightly accused of providing superior custom service. Travis cannot. Paul can be rightly accused of making sure you get what you order. Travis cannot. Give Paul a call and speak to him personally before you order anything from anywhere. He's having a 20% off sale in conjunction with LOR's summer sale. And who knows - given the economy he might be making exceptions to things like case-only quantities this season...

Geez..and I was looking at his (Travis') prices thinking "perfect..I just need a few right now, and can make a bigger order in July..from CDI"..

And then I started looking closer...conflicting descriptions (noticed it with wire color..), what seemed like limited quantity even in the pre-order category (shouldn't pre-order mean..as much as you want?..)..

Looking at CDI, comparing M5 to M5...the prices definitely are close to the same..but it looks like CDI is closing out with M5s, and going to M6s..

I think, though, pleading newbie here, I'd be just as happy with M5 rather than M6..at least this Christmas..but that is more a budgetary feeling.

Something tells me I'll likely be looking back at minis and managing channel by channel loading, at least this year. I'm determined to finalize all of this by end of month, and move forward with ordering during the summer sale(s).

I also found this as a real help... http://ww8.christmasdepot.com/led/120208.htm ...one of those "newbie nuggets of good information"..

So the question I have is...it is apparent to me this is the kind of hobby where lighting vendors are well-known to their customers..they are not just a web site with a bunch of nameless clerks on the other end. So has anyone put together the gold list of light vendors...I hear rave reviews of CDI...caution re LHL..where else does everyone fall on that list. I realize it is somewhat subjective, but if I have 1 person telling me "great service from joe's LEDs.."..and 20 saying "run the other way.."...that tels me I scratch joe off my list..

4hoogies wrote:

Okay, 1 more question.

I have tried to do as much planning as possible. I have drawn out my plans (where I want my lights, footage, how many sets of lights, etc.) Where do I go from here if I'm not buying the software until the sale? Can I still use the demo to set up my channels so that I can buy custom sequences? It seems like some people give discounts now for sequences if I can get them all the right information.

Also, I was looking around the LORsequences.com, are these free to download and which version am I looking for? The Controller Package that I'm looking to buy through LOR doesn't really say if I'm getting the LOR1 or LOR2 format. I'm assuming LOR2 since it is the newer version???? Sorry if this information is somewhere in the forum, i have been searching for the last hour and it's past midnight. I need to go to bed.

thank you for any help.

ps. some of your previous links I couldn't open and the video on the mega tree how to didn't have volume. But I will try again tomorrow. ;)

Yes, you can use the demo software to start and then upgrade later to the purchased version (the only difference is that with the demo you can't actually control real lights--just can view on your computer). Current software is LOR2. Both LOR1 and LOR 2 files will open in this version, so download either type. Yes, sequences on Lorsequences.com are free and a great resource.
Here is a page with more links to free sequences:
http://www.christmascarolina.com/forums/links/sequences-free-34/

DonFL wrote:

George Simmons wrote:
zman wrote:

Geez..and I was looking at his (Travis') prices thinking "perfect..I just need a few right now, and can make a bigger order in July..from CDI"..

And then I started looking closer...conflicting descriptions (noticed it with wire color..), what seemed like limited quantity even in the pre-order category (shouldn't pre-order mean..as much as you want?..)..

Looking at CDI, comparing M5 to M5...the prices definitely are close to the same..but it looks like CDI is closing out with M5s, and going to M6s..

I think, though, pleading newbie here, I'd be just as happy with M5 rather than M6..at least this Christmas..but that is more a budgetary feeling.

Something tells me I'll likely be looking back at minis and managing channel by channel loading, at least this year. I'm determined to finalize all of this by end of month, and move forward with ordering during the summer sale(s).

I also found this as a real help... http://ww8.christmasdepot.com/led/120208.htm ...one of those "newbie nuggets of good information"..

So the question I have is...it is apparent to me this is the kind of hobby where lighting vendors are well-known to their customers..they are not just a web site with a bunch of nameless clerks on the other end. So has anyone put together the gold list of light vendors...I hear rave reviews of CDI...caution re LHL..where else does everyone fall on that list. I realize it is somewhat subjective, but if I have 1 person telling me "great service from joe's LEDs.."..and 20 saying "run the other way.."...that tels me I scratch joe off my list..

TH, sorry your thread got messed up. You mentioned lights and CDI and I provided some info on LEDs. If you have been around for awhile there has been 2 years where 2 of our vendors went through tough times. With that said, the following is not meant to start a he said, she said battle. Here is the low down in a nutshell.

I have bought from Travis, Paul and Valerie (and others), I would use all again, but I have a relationship with them as well. I recommend all the Newbies peruse Planet Christmas.com in the forums and look at the LED threads and continue to do your own research and make your own decisions on which vendors to use. This is now almost a "Fords and Chevys" debate. Between Planet Christmas, and this site, you will pretty much figure out which vendors do most of the business with us. We try to stay away from "golden lists", they are too subjective and the debate gets emotional.

I personally stay away from the big box stores LED products. Other use them and love them. I used Costco LEDs (Holiday Creations), and have had mixed results. I have taken very good advantage of Costco's rental policy. As of this year, I have cycled out all of the LEDs I bought and used from Costco.

Travis ran into some legal issues attempting to get payment from a LARGE order a commercial customer placed with him. Based on advise from his lawyer, Travis went quiet. Not good. Customers were clammering for info on orders that was not forth coming. Travis is pretty much a one man operation, that, as best he could, has made good on things. Yes, some members did not get lights in 2009 or had long delays and all were frustrated. I ordered lights, I got lights, and yes, I got delays in response from Travis.

In 2008 Paul had a debacle with his manufacturer. It is deeper than that. His lights were different that year, and the result was a product that did not dim very well, and had failure problems. Paul has been in business for many years, and was able absorb a lot of the financial burden, when his manufacturer did not move behind him on the product quality. A lot of people were frustrated, some got complete refunds, some got new product credit last year, some were just plain frustrated and wanted to bash Paul for the sake of basing him.

In LED parlance:

M5's - equate to what we all know as mini's
M6's are slightly larger. For those converting to LEDs, M6s is what we all primarily got in the early years, not knowing any better, we still called them minis, and used them just like minis. Then M5s started to come out.

Both are used, both are good, it is personal preference on which one you use.

A Mega tree can be any height you want it to be. General rule of thumb is that Mega Trees start at about 10'. Anything below that is some sort of mini tree. I have something in my display that is 5' tall, and I call it a Midi Tree. In my display, I have Minis, Midis and one Mega to date.

4hoogies - send me a PM. I will describe how I layer my Mega Tree. Some have more lights and channels than I do, mine is 4 colors R-G-B-W, 8 slices, 32 channels and I modified the height to take advantage of the length of the LED light string.

Get the demo software and start getting to know the feature set. Use the basic sequences they provide as examples. Some may have the songs with them, most assume you own the music. I recommend S2 it has more features that will save you time, it will also give you a better upgrade path in the future as updates occur.

The LORsequences.com sites sequences are free for download. Again, look around, there are sites and members that share sequences and those that won't. This too is a sensitive subject to some. Some feel that they put the time into learning and creating, and it is their IP per se.

I hope that clears somethings up.