Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB16PC Residential Controller

rfloyd8

I have 16 Residential Controllers in my LOR network.  My show ran perfectly Thanksgiving Evening and for the next 3 nights.

Monday evening my Star Towers were not working and I found a completely "dead" controller.  Here is what I have done to troubleshoot the problem:

1.  Checked the power source to the controller

2.  Checked the extension cords and plugs used to supply power to the controller

3.  Changed both fuses in the controller (left & right)

4.  Moved the "jumper" from pins 4 & 5 to pins 5 & 6 attempting to resent the controller, nothing happened, it would not 

power up, I returned the jumper to pins 4 & 5.

I do not understand why the controller will not power up.  Working perfectly at the close of my show Sunday evening, would not power up on Monday evening.

HELP!

Ronnie Floyd

can you CAREFULLY measure the voltage at the ac input(s) to make sure you have power going to the board?

I think there is a red light on there that blinks when power us applied, is it on?

Really, the only way a controller could not have power is

blown fuse

no ac power

unplug it and carefully examine everything to make sure nothing got shorted out, no wires crossed,

also; try unplugging all the lights, power up with no lights plugged in; verify ac is there

I don't know your ac troubleshooting skills, but you could measure from the ac neutral to the ac hot on the load side of the fuses

I had a crimp on female terminal that was broken inside the plastic insulation on the power cord last year that gave me the same problem. Drove me nuts for 3 days.

Running windows 10 on my laptop with 4 residential 16 channel controllers. Purchased one in 2012, another in 2013 and two last week in Dec 2015.
Last night I have connected and set Unit ID's to all four controllers independently one by one.

Next I daisy chained all four controllers together but the utility would only see the new units 03 and 04.

Then I connected only units 01 and 02 daisy chained together and found the utility would only find the first one in the chain.
At that point I connected and tested them individually and they both worked separately but not daisy chained together regardless which one was acting as the director unit. Even though all my cords and Cat5 cables are new I still swapped them out to omit the possibility of a bad cord/cable.

​Then powered them all off including my laptop and I went to bed and tested units 01 & 02 this morning and was shocked to find that now the LOR hardware utility will not find unit 02 even when it is connected directly by it's self. This morning I tested unit 01 ans 02 on another computer running Windows 7 and the utility sees unit 01 but still does not see unit 02.

​This morning I tested unit 01 ans 02 on another computer running Windows 7 and the utility sees unit 01 but still does not see unit 02.
I also inspected the the Cat5 9 pin connections, compositor caps which are not blown, checked solder joints with a lighted magnifying glass and blew clean & dry can of dust destroyer (compressed air) made for electronics to remove any possible dust or debris.​

​I also inspected the the Cat5 9 pin connections, compositor caps which are not blown, checked solder joints with a lighted magnifying glass and blew clean & dry can of dust destroyer (compressed air) made for electronics to remove any possible dust or debris.

​​Now I wonder what happened to unit 02 while I was sleeping?

​Summary: Hardware utility sees 01, 03, and 04 but it cannot find 02. Yes , On controller 02 the green LED is on steady.
​Recently purchased SB485 adapter, all cords and cables are new.

Now I am afraid that if I go to sleep again tonight now that I know it is possible I will wake tomorrow and find another controller has stopped working....

​Looks like it will be a very dim Christmas for me.

​Yours truly,
    ​Mr. Dimmed~