Light-O-Rama Forums

Status LED is Shimmering

ericnagel

Hi everyone,

This is my 4th(?) year running LOR. Haven't touched the controllers since January when I put things away.

I started setting things up for this year's display yesterday, and I have a sequence called "all on" which turns all channels on. I was testing some lights, and noticed when I plugged them into Controller 2 (of 3) they shimmered, but plugged into Controller 1 they were OK.

I opened the LOR controller box and noticed the Status LED was also shimmering. The Status LED of Controllers 1 & 3 were solid. Now I mean shimmer, not flashing steadily on / off.

Has anyone dealt with this before? I have to do some more debugging today, including switching power sources and trying a new data cable (but I suspect if controller 3 is solid, it's not the data cable).

Thanks,

Eric

When you say "bad power," do you mean something on the board / in the box, or my AC supply?

I have 2 outlets in the front of my house, each is split & runs to its own 15 amp circuit (so there's 4, 15amp circuits powering my lights). I'll plug my Kill-o-watt in to get some readings on all service lines later this morning.

Assuming nothing has changed with your outlet circuits, and they worked previously, would bet against that being the issue. You can easily swap power cords around to see if the problem follows a specific outlet, or stays with one controller. .

Have you tested controller 2 by itself using the HU to see if you can duplicate the issue?

Your post lacks some info. I do believe you are saying that this controller is on its own socket and that has its own breaker. I would check the power cord going to the LOR controller. Look at the termination of both the black and white wires to the board. If using an extension cord, swap it with another one. What kind of load do you have on this controller? How long and what gauge wire is the extension cord? Do you have a volt meter and can you test to see what the voltage is like at the fuses. Oh take the fuses out and check for corrosion.

What type of controller are you using? The power LED blinking very fast usually means the controller is in a "reset" state. On a PC-series controller, you remove a jumper to put it into that state...

Right Tim, Didnt think about this as a possible cause. Make sure if it is a PC model that the jumper did not get knocked off of the header. Might also try removing it and then putting it back on.

I always live by the motto that if weird things are happening, re-boot. I would reset the controller to see if that fixes it.

Must have been an extension cord somewhere - after swapping out where it's plugged in, it's working (even better, all 3 controllers & 2 CCRs are up & running this weekend!)

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Eric