• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tonyjmartin

• -klb-

• terrypowerz

• Max-Paul

Jeff Millard wrote:

Or try to interpret the electrical code for those of us who are tested annually.
Oh, I get it now. YOU are the only one who is allowed to have an opinion on electrical matters, and you reserve the right to be rude and condescending to anyone who dares to challenge that self-appointed authority. Sorry, I missed that part of the forum guidelines.

Kickin' it old school... cause I'm an old fool... that is so cool... :cool:

On the cords I would have guessed standard configuration... i.e. cost and availability
(stayed on topic FTW!) :)

You know, the first post that started the derailment was actually by a member with over 100 posts here. At least it did not happen until after Dan answered the original question.

I think it implied that:

• using grounded cords was more important for safety than GFCI
  • GFCI does not protect for all cases (very true)
  • GFCI's do fail (also true)
  • GFCI's have no place in Christmas Displays

Sadly, GFCI or not appears to be one of those subjects like politics or religion, that can be debated until everyone has worn off their fingerprints, and nobody changes their mind.

Just to get way back to the original topic.

My spot light's (60 or 90 watt incan's) used grounded plugs. I don't use them with LOR, but if I did, I would need the grounded plug.

Cajun Cheesehead wrote:

My spot light's (60 or 90 watt incan's) used grounded plugs. I don't use them with LOR, but if I did, I would need the grounded plug.

I think the real question is how many years of electrical experience you have...?

:}

terrypowerz wrote:

I think the real question is how many years of electrical experience you have...?

I'm not an electrician, but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Exress.

I prefer the three pin grounded plug. The majority of my light strings are not plugged directly into the controllers. If I use standard extension cords, I would have to either cut off the third prong or buy those adapters. Time is precious and the less things I have to mess with/put extra labor in to the better.

Cajun Cheesehead wrote:

terrypowerz wrote:

I'm not an electrician, but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Exress.

I LOVE their cinnamon rolls at breakfast! :)

breakfast%20cinnamon%20rolls_j.jpg

Cajun Cheesehead wrote:

Since this has gone back to the original topic, I will say this, I didn't even think about the spot lights or the extension cord issue. Mainly because I don't use spotlights any longer, just too much of a power hog. As for the extension cords, I usually make up my own, 2 prong male/female when needed, although I do have a few outdoor extension cords that are 3 prong, even have some "older" models that aren't! But I usually don't use these type (3 prong) on my Christmas light setup. Just usually wire the lights into each other and let it go from that point on.

So I never gave the extension cord issue much thought.

-klb- wrote:

You know, the first post that started the derailment was actually by a member with over 100 posts here. At least it did not happen until after Dan answered the original question.

I think it implied that:

• using grounded cords was more important for safety than GFCI
  • GFCI does not protect for all cases (very true)
  • GFCI's do fail (also true)
  • GFCI's have no place in Christmas Displays

Sadly, GFCI or not appears to be one of those subjects like politics or religion, that can be debated until everyone has worn off their fingerprints, and nobody changes their mind.

I agree with you on the above. Seems I'm getting blamed for something I didn't even start, nor did I try to finish it either, just offering my experience and opinion on what I've done myself or been "told" or "read" from the "old school" as one other poster put it. Guess it's time I replaced my old electrical and electronic books with some newer ones to get up to speed on some of this stuff today.

Maybe GFCI's should be put into the taboo zone too, right alongside politics? Seems not everyone can agree on them as you pointed out.

So anyone got any good book titles on electricity and electronics they'd like to share with us "old timers" so we can get up to snuff on some of the newer workings out here?

Jeff Millard wrote:

Too bad, it used to be such a nice place.

Jeff

Still is, just have to get thru the January crap...

To paraphase Steve Martin from Roxanne "Keep that guys hands away from my bottom". Forgive me, its just my demented mind and movie dialog. If you seen the movie and remember the bar scene, then you will know where I am coming from man.

terrypowerz wrote:

No biggie...;)
I sort of figured that, but I just wanted to get to the "bottom" of the issue.

Picture%201018.png